U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:28 PM

7 posts, read 6,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Jesus, where does one start with this? First, the pay that your claiming you're going to get isn't going to buy you lunch. SF is one of the most expensive cities in the world, you didn't add in the COL, such as food, utilities, etc. The nonprofit sector is notorious for low pay and instability, if that is what you're thinking is going to be your financial lifeline, good luck, you'll need every bit of it.

You're dreaming all right, pretty much because you're asleep. Before you start wondering about living the "crazy" life, you better have a much firmer grasp of reality, or don't come. That was my town, my family has been in the North Bay since the mid 1800's. I've seen The City transformed from working class to some novelty destination by people like you.

If you don't have a better job, then neither The City nor Berkeley is the place for you. Stay where you are, we don't need any more delusional folks cluttering up the area....
I'm going to entitle you to your opinion about COL which I already took into consideration given how much I'd be willing to spend on rent. However, I feel sorry for you. People wait their whole lives to come into your home city wanting to work for businesses that would help your communities but you don't need "delusional folks cluttering up your area." It's not a novelty stay as much as anyone living in any big city that came from a small town following their dreams. Should I have stayed in Daytona Beach, FL? No. I just wanted to let you in my home state they would welcome you with open arms, it's our friendly personality. While you're correct I need to budget accordingly (btw people make that much that live in the city, even if they must do so sparingly), you don't even sound helpful but just bitter. Kind of why I always check this forum out but never post it, because I don't need a random individual getting nasty when polite "You might want to consider...." advice would suffice. I come from another one of the most expensive cities in the country - DC, so believe me I'm no novice to big city expenses.

Nevertheless, enjoy your weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 01:44 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,872,083 times
Quote:
I've seen The City transformed from working class to some novelty destination by people like you.
The OP is aiming to make $50K a year -- that sounds pretty "working class" to me.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:59 PM

920 posts, read 786,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smann87 View Post
I'm going to entitle you to your opinion about COL which I already took into consideration given how much I'd be willing to spend on rent. However, I feel sorry for you. People wait their whole lives to come into your home city wanting to work for businesses that would help your communities but you don't need "delusional folks cluttering up your area." It's not a novelty stay as much as anyone living in any big city that came from a small town following their dreams. Should I have stayed in Daytona Beach, FL? No. I just wanted to let you in my home state they would welcome you with open arms, it's our friendly personality. While you're correct I need to budget accordingly (btw people make that much that live in the city, even if they must do so sparingly), you don't even sound helpful but just bitter. Kind of why I always check this forum out but never post it, because I don't need a random individual getting nasty when polite "You might want to consider...." advice would suffice. I come from another one of the most expensive cities in the country - DC, so believe me I'm no novice to big city expenses.

Nevertheless, enjoy your weekend
Helpful isn't telling you fairy tales, helpful is telling you when you're operating under a delusion.

Have a nice day...

Old 01-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The OP is aiming to make $50K a year -- that sounds pretty "working class" to me.
Actually, in The City, that wouldn't be working class, that would be several notches below that....

Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 PM

202 posts, read 189,324 times
Uh, North Bay isn't even SF and who calls it "The City". Maybe teens in Oakland, you're not doing us any favors either man so get out of here with your negativity.

45-60k is definitely working class.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,551,916 times
Everybody calls it "The City", and 45-65K is practically poverty in SF. I would know, because I'm a recent grad making about that and I choose to pay about 40% less rent by staying my broke ass in Oakland

Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,872,083 times
Quote:
Actually, in The City, that wouldn't be working class, that would be several notches below that....
OK, so why did you spit venom at the OP, saying that:

Quote:
I've seen The City transformed from working class to some novelty destination by people like you
"People like the OP" are low-middle-income workers who sincerely want the experience of living in SF -- as opposed to the high rollers, in tech or otherwise, who treat it merely as a place to earn lots of money so they can go have kids somewhere else.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,893,240 times
Get roommates and live in SF for the first year, would be something like $900 to $1200 a month maybe? If you want to live on your own you'll probably have to move to the East Bay.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post
Uh, North Bay isn't even SF and who calls it "The City". Maybe teens in Oakland, you're not doing us any favors either man so get out of here with your negativity.

45-60k is definitely working class.
Too bad you don't know what you're talking about. 45-60k is PRETAX, considering that CA is a high tax state, the amount that you will take off the top, before you pay for your "crazy" life, is going to be about 1/3. So if the OP is thinking that 50k is what they're going to make, then you will see about 17k of that vanish, before any rent or COL. So the real amount of money OP is going to have to live on is 33K. Yeah, you have to be delusional if you think that you can live anywhere near comfortably in the Bay Area, including THE CITY, on 33K.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 PM

14,584 posts, read 12,539,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Having lived in the East Bay for 3 years before finally moving to SF, I can tell you that SF guys will NEVER, EVER cross the bay to meet you. So if you don't mind living like a monk, by all means move to Berkeley.
This is very true, but the East Bay does have its own gay scene. No, it's not San Francisco, but in some ways that's a good thing...maybe not for 25 year olds...but when the SF scene gets old (and it probably will in fairly short order if you earn a modest salary), the more sane & less pretentious East Bay crowd will fill the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland