U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM

14,577 posts, read 12,516,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Too bad you don't know what you're talking about. 45-60k is PRETAX, considering that CA is a high tax state, the amount that you will take off the top, before you pay for your "crazy" life, is going to be about 1/3. So if the OP is thinking that 50k is what they're going to make, then you will see about 17k of that vanish, before any rent or COL. So the real amount of money OP is going to have to live on is 33K. Yeah, you have to be delusional if you think that you can live anywhere near comfortably in the Bay Area, including THE CITY, on 33K.
You're being ridiculous. People earning 50K DO NOT pay anywhere near 17K in taxes (Yes, I'm including SS, Medicare, State, & Federal).

The OP is NOT considering living comfortably in SF. He's basically going considering living a college student lifestyle, possibly without a car (which is doable if you live & work in the city). I wouldn't want to do it, and I can tell you wouldn't want to, either...but it can be done. He's 25. He'll get tired of it soon enough when he sees the gay scene in SF isn't all it's cracked up to be (especially for those without good income earning potential)...let him experience life and learn for himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,579,412 times
speaking honestly, it all goes well in SF or bay area or paris france until u hit 30.
its a great place to be young and pretty.
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-29-2013 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 PM

202 posts, read 188,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Too bad you don't know what you're talking about. 45-60k is PRETAX, considering that CA is a high tax state, the amount that you will take off the top, before you pay for your "crazy" life, is going to be about 1/3. So if the OP is thinking that 50k is what they're going to make, then you will see about 17k of that vanish, before any rent or COL. So the real amount of money OP is going to have to live on is 33K. Yeah, you have to be delusional if you think that you can live anywhere near comfortably in the Bay Area, including THE CITY, on 33K.
My family has been on both sides of the bay since the 1920's. My family has multiple accountants including myself so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Just because YOU aren't able to manage your budget in order to live on 45-60k doesn't mean that others can't make it work.

I know people making less that are perfectly comfortable. People in SF/San Bruno/Millbrae/Burlingame, North Bay, South Bay, East Bay, over the hill in Tracy/Stockton. I don't see how I can know more than a dozen people making it work and you seem to think it's so impossible.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,543,955 times
Based on personal experience, I'd like to point out that gay men in SF can be pretty snobby/cliquey, so unless you're making a lot more, a lot of guys won't give you the time of day regardless whether you live in SF or not.

I say start out in the East Bay and see if you even like living in the Bay Area PERIOD and have a comfortable life before fully taking the plunge if you HAVE TO be in the City. That was my initial plan when I moved to Oakland in 2007 and after a while, I just never wanted to swallow the extra cost. I'm happier where I am.

Also, don't forget that the Castro is just a neighborhood- it's not the Mecca that so many people hype it up to be. It's fun to go out every now and then, but you see pretty much the exact same people at the exact same bars all the time. Same deal with SOMA.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM

920 posts, read 784,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post
My family has been on both sides of the bay since the 1920's. My family has multiple accountants including myself so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Just because YOU aren't able to manage your budget in order to live on 45-60k doesn't mean that others can't make it work.

I know people making less that are perfectly comfortable. People in SF/San Bruno/Millbrae/Burlingame, North Bay, South Bay, East Bay, over the hill in Tracy/Stockton. I don't see how I can know more than a dozen people making it work and you seem to think it's so impossible.
Uh huh....

Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 6,761 times
Everyone has been able to provide their own insight and feedback and I appreciate it. mod cut

Thanks again everybody! Let the record have it for people in future years looking at old threads, I still definitely am considering the East Bay. When things are settled I'll update this.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-29-2013 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: off topic and handled

Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,671,129 times
IF you can find a roommate situation for 900-1200, then you will be fine on the salary you mentioned. There are many available but competition is fierce.

The East Bay is cool, and tolerant for sure, but if you want to do the "gay scene" then it doesn't compare. Like others have said, you could live in SF for awhile then move to the East Bay if you get tired of it.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM

920 posts, read 784,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You're being ridiculous. People earning 50K DO NOT pay anywhere near 17K in taxes (Yes, I'm including SS, Medicare, State, & Federal).

The OP is NOT considering living comfortably in SF. He's basically going considering living a college student lifestyle, possibly without a car (which is doable if you live & work in the city). I wouldn't want to do it, and I can tell you wouldn't want to, either...but it can be done. He's 25. He'll get tired of it soon enough when he sees the gay scene in SF isn't all it's cracked up to be (especially for those without good income earning potential)...let him experience life and learn for himself.
If he wants to learn for himself, then why is he coming onto the board and asking advice? Given that, I'll let the rest of your post speak for itself.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland