U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-26-2013, 02:41 PM
 
189 posts, read 167,980 times
Reputation: 238

Advertisements

I am considering relocating from the DC Area to the SF Bay Area. While DC is not cheap by any standards, how do housing and rental costs compare in the two areas? I know that the SF Bay Area is more expensive, but by how much (for a comparable house in one of the burbs)? Do salaries compensate for the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
5,211 posts, read 4,695,642 times
Reputation: 3582
Try one of the cost of living calculators that are online, such as this one:

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

You should also note that there are tremendous variances in cities within the SF Bay Area itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
 
1,030 posts, read 1,638,920 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
I am considering relocating from the DC Area to the SF Bay Area. While DC is not cheap by any standards, how do housing and rental costs compare in the two areas? I know that the SF Bay Area is more expensive, but by how much (for a comparable house in one of the burbs)? Do salaries compensate for the difference?
It really depends upon where in the Bay Area vs DC area you're talking about. If you take the averages, then the Bay Area is a lot more expensive than the DC area, despite wages only being slightly higher. However, if you're already living somewhere expensive in DC, such as Georgetown or even Alexandria and are looking at a city on the far perimeter of the Bay Area, you may find it cheaper.

If you're talking burbs to burbs, for the most part, its a lot more expensive here in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM
 
189 posts, read 167,980 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
It really depends upon where in the Bay Area vs DC area you're talking about. If you take the averages, then the Bay Area is a lot more expensive than the DC area, despite wages only being slightly higher. However, if you're already living somewhere expensive in DC, such as Georgetown or even Alexandria and are looking at a city on the far perimeter of the Bay Area, you may find it cheaper.

If you're talking burbs to burbs, for the most part, its a lot more expensive here in the Bay Area.
When you say a lot more expensive, how much more would that be? Double? Because the salaries for comparable jobs in the Bay Area (engineer, accountant etc.) are only fractionally higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 PM
 
1,553 posts, read 1,915,575 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
When you say a lot more expensive, how much more would that be? Double? Because the salaries for comparable jobs in the Bay Area (engineer, accountant etc.) are only fractionally higher.
I haven't seen any evidence of salaries in bay area being higher at least in my line of work (biotech). It's higher than say San Diego where salaries are unusually low but for the most part east coast salaries (in Boston/NYC/DC) are on par or even higher. I guess it might be higher for tech industry down in south bay but I don't think you can generalize to other industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 AM
 
282 posts, read 168,353 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
I am considering relocating from the DC Area to the SF Bay Area. While DC is not cheap by any standards, how do housing and rental costs compare in the two areas? I know that the SF Bay Area is more expensive, but by how much (for a comparable house in one of the burbs)? Do salaries compensate for the difference?
I moved to Oakland from DC. I lived mostly in Logan Circle, but also Columbia Heights and NOMA.

SF is far more expensive for housing than DC. I had a beautiful studio in the center of everything in DC for $1325. For a similar place in SF I'd say you're spending $2000. Nice 1 bedrooms in good neighborhoods seem start around $3000.

The great thing about The Bay Area is that there are two urban cities right next door with lots of character that are a lot cheaper. In DC you just had the VA and MD suburbs which are -- to put it nicely -- uninspiring. Oakland is especially a good deal. I live in a great building (think the apartments on 14th/P St. right across from Whole Foods) and the rent is barely above $2000 (in DC it would be $3000+ and in SF $4000+).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,306 posts, read 33,063,874 times
Reputation: 10724
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
When you say a lot more expensive, how much more would that be? Double? Because the salaries for comparable jobs in the Bay Area (engineer, accountant etc.) are only fractionally higher.
Yes but people are willing to pay more to live in some cities, even if income levels are similar to cheaper places-because they are more desirable and offer a preferrable lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top