U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 AM

5,246 posts, read 6,086,250 times
Default Can't afford to live in SF? Just live in someone's laundry room!

Startup dreams meet pop-up rentals - SFGate

I like how these kids insist on calling themselves entrepreneurs, when they can't afford to pay more than $500 a month in rent, and are living in shoeboxes. I was paying $600 to live in the Mission back in the day on a salary of 32k and I wasn't calling myself an entrepreneur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:57 PM

622 posts, read 335,637 times
The second story about the guy who works out of The Hub, a legit co-working space, actually sounds like he's doing something though. It's just has choice to be extremely frugal. But with 200k in sales and him bringing on his 3rd employee, I've not got much criticism to throw at him.

None of the scenarios work for me, but it's not all bad. They're young, some are stupid, but maybe one or two of these guys will go to lead some powerful companies. I'm sure folks had a ton to say about what other entrepreneurs have done, like Bill Gates leaving Harvard to start Microsoft or Zuckerberg doing the same to work on Facebook.

...shrug... They're living their lives and that's fine.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 PM

6,946 posts, read 4,061,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Startup dreams meet pop-up rentals - SFGate

I like how these kids insist on calling themselves entrepreneurs, when they can't afford to pay more than $500 a month in rent, and are living in shoeboxes. I was paying $600 to live in the Mission back in the day on a salary of 32k and I wasn't calling myself an entrepreneur.
Being an entrepreneur doesn't mean you have money. I wouldn't call myself one either, but when I first started out I maxed out a few credit cards getting the stuff I needed and robbed Peter to pay Paul. I had working coming in. I was taking jobs. But it takes time to get paid, typically a month or two but sometimes as much as five or six from beginning to when you get that check. A $500/month laundry room in San Francisco would've fit the bill perfectly for those 6 months it took to pay the credit cards off and have money coming in regularly.

Anyway, young people pursuing their dreams living in laundry rooms doesn't bug me. It beats the heck out of dead beats on the public teat with no drive to get off it. There's no way we can continue to support the net drags on society to the standard of living they've been accustomed to. Simply too many of them and too little money to provide them welfare housing that meets building code requirements. Sure, most won't go on to found Facebook or anything worth much of anything. On the other hand many of the guys I started school with as a CE major did go on to work in startup companies for very little pay. One or two I know of for successful ones who were millionaires in their 20s on the stock options, others cut their teeth on start ups and went on to far more lucrative positions with established companies.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM

5,246 posts, read 6,086,250 times
I wouldn't care but the article is falling for their self-congratulatory Randian techie romanticism where everyone is an executive-something or another, or an entrepreneur, or a bold innovator, no matter if they're sleeping on a bathroom floor. They're just kids without much money who scraped up a (still competitive) way to live in SF. For that I applaud their grit, but if you're living on $4 worth of food per day, I'm sorry, you still have a while before you can call yourself a startup entrepreneur. The tone of the article should be "a few 20 year old white guys living in laundry rooms" rather than "bold young entrepreneurs bringing their startup mentality to the rental market." Thousands and thousands of people live in SF for less than $600 a month, and they don't get articles written about them. Were the Salvadorean crack dealers who lived next door to me in the Mission and slept in bunk beds 10 to a room the "Salvadorean Entrepreneurs of Capp Street?" I mean, they were their own bosses, right?

Also for their sake I hope their typical generational oversharing doesn't result in the city cracking down on their illegal rentals.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,694,258 times
Only in SF is this increasing third world like living condition is considered a sign of success. The city of San Francisco has deeply embraced the idea that rotting infrastructure, dilapidated housing and absolute opposition to any kind of constructions is the path success! Back in TX they had rules about maximum apartment occupancy to prevent slumification and they actually enforced those rules. Even poor illegal immigrants live in better condition there..

Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM

920 posts, read 664,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Only in SF is this increasing third world like living condition is considered a sign of success. The city of San Francisco has deeply embraced the idea that rotting infrastructure, dilapidated housing and absolute opposition to any kind of constructions is the path success! Back in TX they had rules about maximum apartment occupancy to prevent slumification and they actually enforced those rules. Even poor illegal immigrants live in better condition there..

+1. This.....precisely what I saw taking place within The City. My cousin still lives there, primarily because my aunt/uncle and her ex were generous enough to maintain her fantasy that she could live there and doing as little work as possible. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death, but when I visit, I can't believe the idiocy of triple parking, parking on sidewalks, due to the fact you need ten people to an apartment to meet the rent. The place is drowning in delusional people who somehow think that SF has special vibe that will make it all better. Man, hallucinations die hard....

Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I wouldn't care but the article is falling for their self-congratulatory Randian techie romanticism where everyone is an executive-something or another, or an entrepreneur, or a bold innovator, no matter if they're sleeping on a bathroom floor. They're just kids without much money who scraped up a (still competitive) way to live in SF. For that I applaud their grit, but if you're living on $4 worth of food per day, I'm sorry, you still have a while before you can call yourself a startup entrepreneur. The tone of the article should be "a few 20 year old white guys living in laundry rooms" rather than "bold young entrepreneurs bringing their startup mentality to the rental market." Thousands and thousands of people live in SF for less than $600 a month, and they don't get articles written about them. Were the Salvadorean crack dealers who lived next door to me in the Mission and slept in bunk beds 10 to a room the "Salvadorean Entrepreneurs of Capp Street?" I mean, they were their own bosses, right?

Also for their sake I hope their typical generational oversharing doesn't result in the city cracking down on their illegal rentals.
I agree that how SFGate is framing it is slanted because, in my opinion, the Salvadorean drug dealers are entrepreneurs too. However, since they're Salvadorean and what they're doing is illegal the only time we're going to hear about them is when they're busted and taken to jail.

I do differ with you saying that these kids aren't entrepreneurs. They're not Jack Dorsey because they're not successful. So, at worst, they're not successful entrepreneurs.

They're doing their thing. They've started up businesses and most will probably fail or get absorbed into bigger companies, but they are entrepreneurs. They're just not ones with enough clout or cash flow to have any real influence yet (except on the already tight San Francisco rental market and that's the focus of the article).

Housing here IS a problem and something is going to have to give. The landlords, home owners, and renters with leases in the city are taking mad advantage of this booming market. I'm not sure how it will resolve itself. Personally, I'm beyond thrilled that I chanced upon a great deal to move back to the city, but I know that a lot of people moving here are living in crap conditions.

What this guy said when I lived in NYC now applies and then some to San Francisco:

http://youtu.be/x4o-TeMHys0

We need to bring Jimmy McMillan to San Francisco!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM

Dammit, I was living in NYC when this all happened! The rent IS too damn high.

Of course, Jimmy won't solve the problem here because he sure as hell didn't solve it in NYC, but he was entertaining.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 AM

2,664 posts, read 1,990,781 times
I think it's funny that the one of the kids in that article mentioned that he'd clearly have a better standard of living in Oakland, but he chooses to live in SF to not have to 'deal with the commute'

Yeah that 20 min BART ride across the Bay really takes it out of you. Must be really nice to be lulled to sleep by the washing machine going while you're sleeping on the floor...

Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM

940 posts, read 1,120,907 times
the kid whose parents paid for him to get a degree in biomedical engineering from columbia must be so proud.
the reality is he is having more fun living in the mission in a laundry room than he would if he took a job in north carolina ,virginia or houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland