U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 PM

11 posts, read 21,704 times
Default How safe is Emeryville ?

Considering a move to CA and is still in planning,research stage. But just came across a reasonable house on Essex street in Emeryville area. Is this a safe area? Rent cheaper than other areas around there? Thank you so much for your help......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 PM

116 posts, read 79,178 times
Emeryville = West Oakland. 90% crime ridden 10% safe.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM

Thanks Mark.....that does not sound good...

Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM

16,569 posts, read 10,476,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
Emeryville = West Oakland. 90% crime ridden 10% safe.
For once I kinda agree with Mark here.

E-ville is mostly over-priced. There are way better areas to live in Oakland at the same price point.

I also looked up Essex St, since I had never seen it before. And that section if E-ville is quite literally West Oakland. That wouldn't be a section of E-ville I wold pick to live in. There are other better locations in E-ville.

But mostly, E-ville is very inconvenient to be a driver, pedestrian or transit user. And that is why I never recommend it to anyone.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 PM

Jade408 thank you for explaining and for your time...can I ask you though, why is Emeryville inconvenient for drivers and transit user?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,331,387 times
For drivers it's a pain because the whole town is basically an off-ramp and on-ramp for I-80, and there's a ton of big box stores there like Target and Ikea that draw in shoppers from the whole Bay Area. It's convenient to go there for shopping but the traffic really is heavy. For transit, it's far enough from BART that it's inconvenient. There's a free Emery-Go-Round service that can get you to BART but that just adds more time to your commute.

If you want some cheap but safe towns that wouldn't have so much traffic, check out Albany, El Cerrito and Alameda. Or if you want to be in that area, check out the Temescal in Oakland east of Telegraph, especially north of around 40th street.

I took a look in Google Maps and Essex *looks* pretty nice by North/West Oakland standards, but that doesn't tell the whole story. It's right by the crappy part of North Oakland.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 PM

Additionally buses that travel e-ville don't even stop at the shopping centers. So you can't exactly take the bus to Target or Trader Joes. Or bike there or walk there. It is obnoxious.

I hate going there. It usually takes me 15 minutes to go the 2 miles to target with all the traffic.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,331,387 times
Yeah biking there stinks because there's so much street traffic and because of the goofy street layout.

Also people gush about the shopping, but once you look past stuff like Target and Ikea, there's not a lot of nice places there, it's mostly fairly ordinary chain stores and chain restaurants that you see everywhere, like Old Navy, Body Shop, California Pizza Kitchen, Radio Shack, etc. Yes they're convenient because Berkeley and Oakland really don't have enough of those kinds of everyday stores, but if you lived there I think you'd get kind of bored and tired of living somewhere with zero retail character. Oakland and Berkeley have a TON of funky local restaurants and shops, and Emeryville has a few but is dominated by chains. Also some of the strip mall plazas in E'ville are downright ghetto, like the one where BevMo is.

That said, if you do move there, check out Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe, great local diner.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 AM

2,744 posts, read 2,142,621 times
Oh stop. Emeryville is fine for people who like Big Box stores and chain restaurants. It's not my cup of tea, but plenty of people live there and like that it's close to everything and are willing to put up with the traffic, which is just as bad in Berkeley. It reminds me a lot of Mission Valley in San Diego and there are far worse places to live in the Bay Area.

With that said, I'd never live there, but I know some people that really like it.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Oh stop. Emeryville is fine for people who like Big Box stores and chain restaurants. It's not my cup of tea, but plenty of people live there and like that it's close to everything and are willing to put up with the traffic, which is just as bad in Berkeley. It reminds me a lot of Mission Valley in San Diego and there are far worse places to live in the Bay Area.

With that said, I'd never live there, but I know some people that really like it.
Sure, but it is mostly overpriced for the amount of crime and issues you have there. If I wanted big box stores, I'd rather live in the suburbs. E-ville has quite a few car break-ins and property crime. And you don't get the benefits of walkability, transit, interesting restaurants, or charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland