U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 AM

12,411 posts, read 10,401,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
That 8 Million NY population is including all 5 Boroughs. If you want to look at things that way SF-OAK-SAN Jose would be 7 Million people.
That's not a good comparison because the 5 boroughs are still part of the city of New York. Oakland and San Jose are not part of SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 AM

116 posts, read 82,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That's not a good comparison because the 5 boroughs are still part of the city of New York. Oakland and San Jose are not part of SF.
I'm a New Yorker, most People go into Manhattan aka "The City" for things to do. When People think of NYC they are not thinking of Queens. (My Home by the way)

Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM

404 posts, read 398,333 times
San Francisco is only small in square miles but has a heart bigger than the whole state of Texas; I use to live there for twenty three years and I always use to run into people I knew, mostly from my work. There were people that use to tell me that they would see me sometimes at places when actually I wasn't even there or someone actually looked like me. One morning I was on Mission Street at the corner of 22 ND and about five Hispanic guys standing right behind me attempted to get my attention by calling me someone else's name thinking I was that person.I did not respond or acknowledge them; But then one of them speaking in Spanish said to the rest; Oh! He has money now that's why he throws us to the lions.After I moved back to Texas I called my former work one day and spoke to acquaintance and he told me that people from work saw me walking in the streets of San Francisco. He said, you are in Texas, is this possible? Another time I was walking down the street and I saw a lady from my work I thought knew! I walked up to her and called her by her name and gave her a big hug; She replied, I am not Dianne??? opp's

Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM

622 posts, read 394,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It depends because when I was living in NYC I was also seeing the same people at various events.
Me too, but I think that was more about the circles that I was in. Sure, if I'm in a certain industry or social group I'm going to run into the same people and the same crowd at the same sorts of events. My friends in NYC make a POINT to congregate at the same events happening around town.

I think the OP and the post he drew the quote from is talking more about just doing your thing, and running into people. I think in any city if you're in a clique or certain profession, you'll run into the same people. That's happened to me in other cities too.

But more like walking down the block while running errands and running into someone or like the experiences that Miss Kitty is talking about.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM

24,938 posts, read 31,801,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Me too, but I think that was more about the circles that I was in. Sure, if I'm in a certain industry or social group I'm going to run into the same people and the same crowd at the same sorts of events. My friends in NYC make a POINT to congregate at the same events happening around town.
Exactly.

And I didnt necessarily feel suffocated or bored because I saw them either. lol

Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM

7,472 posts, read 6,369,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
It's a small world after all....

Try to be nice and not burn any bridges at least.

You never know when that person you were rude to might be the interviewer at your prospective next job.
This is true, and demonstrates the inherent danger in running with a crowd or doing the same stuff in the same places in a compact place like SF. In seeing the same people all over town, it only takes one unfortunate encounter to make a great many future encounters with said crowd stiflingly uncomfortable. This is how people get "run out of town", a bit like small towns.

Better to
1) not burn bridges by being lame,
2) not hanging around lame people (especially the dumb ones)
3) diversify your activities, destinations, affiliations
4) be your own person, not defined by the crowd or the scene

Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,660,739 times
Quote:
  • Hometown - Los Angeles: 3,819,702
  • Chicago (just two months but that's long enough): 2,707,120
  • San Francisco: 812,826
  • Seoul: 10,464,051
  • New York, NY: 8,244,910
San Francisco does have a small population compared to other cities and what we're doing here is comparing to other cities. (I say that because the OP starts the thread by making a comparison to San Diego).

If you're from a small city or town, okay, San Francisco is a big ol' city. We're not comparing San Francisco's social scene to Small Town or Small City, Wherever. The dynamics in those places are different. In bigger cities you don't trip over people as often as you do here.
I was born and raised here so I understand it pretty well. I've also lived and worked in London (7,753,600), so I fully realize San Francisco isn't a mega city. But again, over 800,000 isn't a small town - especially when its the focal point of a metro area of 7,000,000 (San Diego's metro area is just 3 million by comparison). I'm also not arguing the point that you will see the same people over and over. I've been experiencing that most of my life.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM

622 posts, read 394,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
It's a small world after all....

Try to be nice and not burn any bridges at least.

You never know when that person you were rude to might be the interviewer at your prospective next job.
Yeah, there is an element of that too. It's nice.

Someone might not realize it initially but, if they stay long enough, they'll realize that you can't be an jerk to people and not have it come back on you (exceptions for the incredibly talented and mega-rich; it comes back on them but it doesn't matter ).

However, as a life practice, one should be nice and not burn bridges.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM

6,805 posts, read 1,218,226 times
Quote:
Yeah, there is an element of that too. It's nice.

Someone might not realize it initially but, if they stay long enough, they'll realize that you can't be an jerk to people and not have it come back on you (exceptions for the incredibly talented and mega-rich; it comes back on them but it doesn't matter ).

However, as a life practice, one should be nice and not burn bridges.
Yeah. My own personal experience is in insurance. It employes a ton of people in CA but can seem incredibly small industry. I have often run into attorneys and adjusters in north CA who I knew in southern CA and vice-versa. People get transferred from LA to Sacto or Bay area and end up running into each other. Makes dealing with an otherwise adversarial situation that much easier.

Personally I once interviewed at Nationwide in Visalia for a position. The guy who interviewed me was an ass the whole time and I couldn't really understand why.

The next person at Nationwide I interviewed with (they had me interview with 2 people) liked me and wanted to hire me but was overruled by the man. So I said thank you and went on my way.

I shortly thereafter got hired in Bakersfield. Which led to being transferred to LA (Pasadena).

My wife hated LA and wanted to move back to the valley. By some miracle a job opened up in Porterville, which is unusual in insurance to say the least, and is where my wife was from. I contacted the company in Porterville and it was the lady from Nationwide who was running the show. She hired me and we moved back up to Porterville.

About a year later the man from Nationwide called her looking for a job. She didn't like him either, and came and told me he was looking for work. We had a bit of a laugh at that as she wouldn't hire him.

So ya just never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland