Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM

102 posts, read 235,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"San Francisco is a tiny city, and you will bump into everybody you know here all the time. Including that girl with whom you went on that incredibly awkward and uncomfortable okCupid date."

"There’s no shame in ducking into an alley to avoid a face-to-face interaction."
Haha, these humorous quotes about SF really caught my eye.

So is there any truth to this? Do the social circles also run pretty thin as well? I know the population overall isn't as big as other major cities, although it is denser than others, but do you constantly run into the same people everywhere?

This is one thing that somewhat bugged me about San Diego. Even though it has a larger population overall, you run into the same people every where. In fact everyone refers to it as 4 degrees instead of 6 degrees of separation so I'm wondering if its the same or even worse in SF.

Don't get me wrong, at first it's great because it makes it easier to meet people but after awhile it's like the people you've already met are the same people you'll meet over and over again. It just seems like everyone else stays home. There are some exceptions of course, new transplants or active tourist season but for the most part, that 4 degree moniker is pretty standard.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
I think so. Four degrees sounds about right.

I went to a house party yesterday, and ran into someone I had met at a conference.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM

506 posts, read 1,151,910 times
I do run into the same people over and over. However, moving to a different "circle" tends to get new people. Like there's a group who does all the same [ethnic] stuff and every activity associated with [ethnicity] seems to have the same people. But move into [artistic] field and it's new people. But then I'll see all of them at every [art] thing. Again with tech/startups. But that group is so big I don't reencounter the same people over and over, and it's pretty likely anyone I know, from any other circle, will have a connection there.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 PM

622 posts, read 1,143,418 times
With a smaller population and tight social circles that are hard to break into? I say "yep". You're going to run into the same people more often under those circumstances.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,536,664 times
Its not especially small (815K people isn't exactly a wide spot in the road), but if you frequent the same neighborhoods and run with the same demographic group you will continually see people you know - especially if you live here long enough. I like running into folks I know just out doing my run-of-the-mill business. Its usually quite pleasant.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 AM

622 posts, read 1,143,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Its not especially small (815K people isn't exactly a wide spot in the road), but if you frequent the same neighborhoods and run with the same demographic group you will continually see people you know - especially if you live here long enough. I like running into folks I know just out doing my run-of-the-mill business. Its usually quite pleasant.
  • Hometown - Los Angeles: 3,819,702
  • Chicago (just two months but that's long enough): 2,707,120
  • San Francisco: 812,826
  • Seoul: 10,464,051
  • New York, NY: 8,244,910
San Francisco does have a small population compared to other cities and what we're doing here is comparing to other cities. (I say that because the OP starts the thread by making a comparison to San Diego).

If you're from a small city or town, okay, San Francisco is a big ol' city. We're not comparing San Francisco's social scene to Small Town or Small City, Wherever. The dynamics in those places are different. In bigger cities you don't trip over people as often as you do here.

Last edited by rkwalton; 01-28-2013 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: pulled population info from the latest Census data, but for Seoul.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,264,742 times
It depends because when I was living in NYC I was also seeing the same people at various events.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,538,256 times
Yes, that sounds about right. Also, SF is very small (land area) and dense, so you'll just see more people more often in general.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM

116 posts, read 189,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
  • Hometown - Los Angeles: 3,819,702
  • Chicago (just two months but that's long enough): 2,707,120
  • San Francisco: 812,826
  • Seoul: 10,464,051
  • New York, NY: 8,244,910
San Francisco does have a small population compared to other cities and what we're doing here is comparing to other cities. (I say that because the OP starts the thread by making a comparison to San Diego).

If you're from a small city or town, okay, San Francisco is a big ol' city. We're not comparing San Francisco's social scene to Small Town or Small City, Wherever. The dynamics in those places are different. In bigger cities you don't trip over people as often as you do here.
That 8 Million NY population is including all 5 Boroughs. If you want to look at things that way SF-OAK-SAN Jose would be 7 Million people.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,687,739 times
It's a small world after all....

Try to be nice and not burn any bridges at least.

You never know when that person you were rude to might be the interviewer at your prospective next job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland