U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM

13 posts, read 7,270 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

I'm flying in to SFO, renting a car, and driving down to San Jose for work. I have the afternoon and evening to spend in San Francisco, though. Rather than drive downtown and deal with the parking mess, what are my options for parking at a BART station and taking the train in?

Current plan: drive to the San Bruno station, park there, take the train in, explore, and return in the evening to drive south.

Itinerary:
- Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge
- Check out the Pacific Heights/Financial District area
- Dinner @ the Greens Restaurant (I'll be a single diner, is that a decent spot?)
- Possibly see a movie at either the Paradiso or Kabuki theaters

My questions:
- Do you think the lot will be full in the mid-afternoon?
- Is there another station I should consider?
- How often do trains run around 3pm and 9 or 10pm?
- Is the area safe enough that if I leave my suitcase out of sight in the trunk and no valuables in the car, I can trust I'll return and still have everything?
- Any additions/subtractions to the itinerary?

Thanks a million in advance!

- Kat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM

3,480 posts, read 9,189,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourEyes12 View Post
Hey there!

I'm flying in to SFO, renting a car, and driving down to San Jose for work. I have the afternoon and evening to spend in San Francisco, though. Rather than drive downtown and deal with the parking mess, what are my options for parking at a BART station and taking the train in?

Current plan: drive to the San Bruno station, park there, take the train in, explore, and return in the evening to drive south.

Itinerary:
- Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge
- Check out the Pacific Heights/Financial District area
- Dinner @ the Greens Restaurant (I'll be a single diner, is that a decent spot?)
- Possibly see a movie at either the Paradiso or Kabuki theaters

My questions:
- Do you think the lot will be full in the mid-afternoon?
- Is there another station I should consider?
- How often do trains run around 3pm and 9 or 10pm?
- Is the area safe enough that if I leave my suitcase out of sight in the trunk and no valuables in the car, I can trust I'll return and still have everything?
- Any additions/subtractions to the itinerary?

Thanks a million in advance!

- Kat
The San Bruno BART station should be OK to park at. They have a 3 or 4 story parking garage. The BART station is a short walk to the Tanforan Mall which has lots of parking. I think you will be safe if you put your stuff in the trunk and park by lighting. BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit

BART runs from about 4am to about midnight weekdays. I would get off at the Powell St. subway station. There is a cable car stop above the subway station and it's a 2 block walk to Union Square. The BART station for the finacial district is at Montgomery St. I don't think you will have time to visit the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a long bus ride from downtown.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM

161 posts, read 110,828 times
you may consider to take a bus tour and be able to see most of SF attractions in 2 hours:

Hop-On Hop-Off San Francisco Double-Decker Tour (Bus) from All San Francisco Tours

Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 PM

6,188 posts, read 11,643,789 times
You would go to a movie while you're in one of the coolest cities on earth?

Sorry, this qualifies for me as a "You know you can see a movie anytime, right?" moments

Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 AM

2,854 posts, read 1,781,663 times
If you want to see the bridge(worth it, in my opinion) go ahead and drive into the City. Parking outside the Financial District, especially in the middle of the day, is not that big of a deal and most spaces in chiefly residential areas are not metered, so you can park for free for an hour or so, then move on to your next spot.

I'd agree on ditching the movie in favor of exploring a neighborhood or two (Haight, North Beach, Mission, Chinatown and Castro are favorites), or taking in a museum, doing a bay cruise, touring Alcatraz, shopping Union Square, driving up to Twin Peaks, or something along those lines.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 AM

5,245 posts, read 6,911,532 times
The Kabuki theater is nothing special at all, it's owned by the Sundance Channel or something like that now and is basically just a slightly upscale ordinary movie theater. (when you buy your ticket, they ask you if you want to pay a few bucks extra for carbon offsets or something doofy like that)

If you have to go to a movie theater, go somewhere like the Castro. Really nice inside and they do some good repetoire stuff and cool film series now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland