Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,677,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
And thats why sunbelt cities have bad reputations for having fair weather fans. Where did you grow up?
If you're from Chicago (not relo'd), you should be a Bears fan. Not Tampa or Jacksonville.
Fresno. Born in WA and lived in Phoenix til age 6, then moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 PM

793 posts, read 1,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Spoken like a typical bandwagoner
or a poet.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Fresno. Born in WA and lived in Phoenix til age 6, then moved here.
Ok, then just root for Pittsburgh!?

At the age of six, I cant see a rooting interest develop for Seattle or Arizona. It would seem like you may latch on to a team from California. Maybe.
I still root for California based schools in college football and basketball. If USC is playing Texas or Fresno State is playing SMU, heck yes I root for the hometown guys.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
And thats why sunbelt cities have bad reputations for having fair weather fans. Where did you grow up?
If you're from Chicago (not relo'd), you should be a Bears fan. Not Tampa or Jacksonville.
You didn't answer any of my questions btw.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,773,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Actually, nothing says self-determination and power of your convictions like thinking on your own and not being tied to and fettered by mere geography and what it may or may not encompass.
This is true. However, it goes over the nutter line if said self-determined individual moves into an area with great intent to simply be contrarian to the existing population. Seems such a practice is in effect with some of the more crabby types who role into the Bay Area, only to complain how it's not ______ east coast city. Or, like my sister and her punkrock friends, who would go to Duran Duran concerts in the 80's just to beat people up (seems an expensive means to this end).

Or, say, a vociferous member of one team's fanbase enters into, oh, I don't know, let's say the Bronco's stadium on his own: We admire his tenacity, but his self-determination might betray his own well-being

Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Ok, then just root for Pittsburgh!?

At the age of six, I cant see a rooting interest develop for Seattle or Arizona. It would seem like you may latch on to a team from California. Maybe.
I still root for California based schools in college football and basketball. If USC is playing Texas or Fresno State is playing SMU, heck yes I root for the hometown guys.
Do you know football history?

Arizona didn't have a team then. They were the Saint Louis Cardinals at that time, and they relocated to Arizona.

The Rams then relocated to St. Louis.

Do you think at age 6 watching TV with your dad and Pittsburgh was on that you may have developed an interest in that team? I also watched Jack Tatum paralyze Darryl Stingley and didn't like the Raiders.

I have no home team here to root for ya know.

I left WA when I was 2. Wasn't watching much football then.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM

793 posts, read 1,325,478 times
Quote:

What the hell is wrong with you? You were a toddler. You should have started watching right out of the womb!

Kiddding.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
What the hell is wrong with you? You were a toddler. You should have started watching right out of the womb!

Kiddding.
LoL. I forgot that Seattle was an expansion team that started after I'd moved from WA.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,050,447 times
Quote:
Do you know football history?

Arizona didn't have a team then. They were the Saint Louis Cardinals at that time, and they relocated to Arizona.

The Rams then relocated to St. Louis.

Do you think at age 6 watching TV with your dad and Pittsburgh was on that you may have developed an interest in that team? I also watched Jack Tatum paralyze Darryl Stingley and didn't like the Raiders.

I have no home team here to root for ya know.

I wasn't about to assume your age and guess when you were in Arizona. Now if you had stayed and grown up in Arizona I would expect you to be a card fan

Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I wasn't about to assume your age and guess when you were in Arizona. Now if you had stayed and grown up in Arizona I would expect you to be a card fan
I told ya I was a kid in the '70's earlier in the thread. /shrug.

What if I was a Charger fan in Phoenix before the Cards moved there? Is that still ok?

Assigning fans to teams based solely on where they live is ridiculous on it's face basically. Anyone can be a fan of whatever team they so choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland