U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM

332 posts, read 270,844 times

Advertisements

So the article is a bit confusing in terms of timing. I'm going to be going over the bridge on February 28 and March 1st in a rental car. Should I pay the ridiculous fee to the rental company for the FasTrak device or will it still be feasible to pay with traditional ways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM

6,850 posts, read 16,846,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
So the article is a bit confusing in terms of timing. I'm going to be going over the bridge on February 28 and March 1st in a rental car. Should I pay the ridiculous fee to the rental company for the FasTrak device or will it still be feasible to pay with traditional ways?
Full conversion happens at the end of March. You can still pay cash for tolls until then.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM

332 posts, read 270,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Full conversion happens at the end of March. You can still pay cash for tolls until then.
Perfect, thank you!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM

622 posts, read 423,299 times
Quote:
This is exactly the way it has been in New York for a long time, and yes, rental agencies make a killing. It wouldn't surprise me if they were somehow involved in this change as well.
Interesting. I didn't know that. I never rented a car from the conventional companies like Avis when I lived in New York. I got around by train or bus mostly for long distances. I did rent a car from ZipCar for a drive out to the Hamptons once (bad idea), but all of those cars come with a toll pass.

Well, like it or not once this starts I'll have to activate the over-priced toll passes they have. The fee they get you with is still cheaper than the fee they hit you with if they get and have to pay the fee on the corporate level.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM

6,850 posts, read 16,846,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Interesting. I didn't know that. I never rented a car from the conventional companies like Avis when I lived in New York. I got around by train or bus mostly for long distances. I did rent a car from ZipCar for a drive out to the Hamptons once (bad idea), but all of those cars come with a toll pass.

Well, like it or not once this starts I'll have to activate the over-priced toll passes they have. The fee they get you with is still cheaper than the fee they hit you with if they get and have to pay the fee on the corporate level.
ZipCar is a special case. The traditional rental car companies will charge you a daily fee for the toll tag.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM

7,973 posts, read 9,905,951 times
This is an overt example of a special brand of elitism a certain Marin subculture has.

If you don't live in Marin (or work there) and therefore have real justification to go for a Fastrak, then you will feel the pain, *********, etc.

I'll tell you what, take your GGTD and shove it.

I don't need no stinkin' bridge. Heck all I really need are my feets or bike, if I have a bit of time. Yeah I know Marinites can sort of bike it in, but it's just not the same as doing it continuously on El Camino Real.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
ZipCar is a special case. The traditional rental car companies will charge you a daily fee for the toll tag.
I know that. That was what I was saying. I use the toll pass on Zipcars. I DON'T use the toll pass on conventional rental cars.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:36 PM

610 posts, read 498,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This is an overt example of a special brand of elitism a certain Marin subculture has.

If you don't live in Marin (or work there) and therefore have real justification to go for a Fastrak, then you will feel the pain, *********, etc.

I'll tell you what, take your GGTD and shove it.

I don't need no stinkin' bridge. Heck all I really need are my feets or bike, if I have a bit of time. Yeah I know Marinites can sort of bike it in, but it's just not the same as doing it continuously on El Camino Real.
Well, I don't live in Marin, I hardly ever go there, but I have Fastrak because I cross other bridges like the Dumbarton, the San Mateo, or the Bay Bridge once in a while. I live in the East Bay.

I understand the problems out-of-towners might have, but if you live anywhere in the Bay Area you probably cross a toll bridge once in a while so you may as well get Fastrak.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 PM

1,046 posts, read 873,094 times
heck, if i lived in the bay area i'd have a fastrak. it only makes sense....

Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Well, I don't live in Marin, I hardly ever go there, but I have Fastrak because I cross other bridges like the Dumbarton, the San Mateo, or the Bay Bridge once in a while. I live in the East Bay.

I understand the problems out-of-towners might have, but if you live anywhere in the Bay Area you probably cross a toll bridge once in a while so you may as well get Fastrak.
That's the perspective that I'm looking at it from. The Golden Gate Bridge is a HUGE tourist attraction because it's probably the most famous bridge in the world. You're going to get a crap ton of tourists in conventional rental cars going across that bridge and having no clue what the rules are. If I need a car I rent one, so it will impact me too. However, I'm usually driving a Zipcar.

I'm not concerned about it in almost any other context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland