Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 11:40 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Yeah, lots of people make grandiose claims on investment returns. Few actually pan out or are proven as true though.
Well, ya were talking with Jade about the prices doubling in Oakland earlier in the thread. I side with Jade here I'm afraid.

Quote:
I'm not saying the market isn't heated right now, but it's not an Oakland exclusive is my point.
So we have a heated market that you won't invest in personally. But many others are whilst you sit on the sidelines predicting a tulip market bubble?

While acknowledging that prices are lower in Oakland than elsewhere generally, and acknowledging that some people want to live in Oakland and are buying those properties or renting from the investors?

Oaklands population is still growing, and not sinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
So you admit that you get your OAKLAND news from a newspaper that doesn't heavily report on it, from another county. LOL.

It's great that you'll dig through the paper to read these articles though. Whatever lets you sleep better at night I guess.
What's with the strawmen? I never said I get ALL my Oakland news from CCT. I also love KTVU, and never see them trashing Oakland to 'sell stories' like some tabloid.

I like how you didn't answer my question though, how does putting a murder on page B12 help sell news papers?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I side with Jade here I'm afraid.

I'm afraid (for your money) as well.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid (for your money) as well.
OK. Well I give ya credit for being an ultra conservative investor scared out of the market.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
OK. Well I give ya credit for being an ultra conservative investor scared out of the market.
My dollars are safe. That's all that matters.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
My dollars are safe. That's all that matters.
That's good. I'd hate to think of a destitute Doc on the street.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
Quote:
The media also touts Oakland as a fine destination for art, dining, weather, culture, and real estate investment. Could it be that the media just wants to sell newspapers? Violence, entertainment, and money tend to sell more than anything else...
So when the media talks up the Oakland art, dining, and cultural scene then it must be true, but when the media talks about the crimes in Oakland it becomes some sort of bias hateful stereotypical misunderstood piece?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Um, both are true?

Oakland DOES have a problem with violent crime AND a vibrant cultural experience. BOTH narratives are particularly compelling and sell well. Why tell a watered down version of the truth in one story, when you can sell two stories?

Sorry you happen to think that both things are mutually exclusive, but I happen to live here and experience BOTH sides of the story- not just one. It's sorta ho-hum compared to both extremes that are presented in the news, but who wants to read that, let alone write about it?

Old 02-15-2013, 11:02 AM

I didn't see where dragontales said it was "mutually exclusive", stop putting words into people's mouths. Many of us locals go to Oakland to dine. My favorite Greek Place is right off Walker in Oakland (Ikaros).

That doesn't mean that after a meal I'd stroll into West Oakland and hang out at Raimondi Park with the drug dealers and thugs.

The media has no reason to vilify Oakland.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
Quote:
Um, both are true?

Oakland DOES have a problem with violent crime AND a vibrant cultural experience. BOTH narratives are particularly compelling and sell well. Why tell a watered down version of the truth in one story, when you can sell two stories?

Sorry you happen to think that both things are mutually exclusive, but I happen to live here and experience BOTH sides of the story- not just one. It's sorta ho-hum compared to both extremes that are presented in the news, but who wants to read that, let alone write about it?
Sorry I didn't say anything at all about them being mutually exclusive.

This is what I see from this forum:

Oakland: To Know it is to Love it

That is clearly a cheerleading thread made to promote Oakland's attractions. I love what Oakland has to offer but should I be believing the things in that thread or it it just shameless promotion full of bias?

Then you have homicide and crime threads as well. Those usually get dismissed quickly as being inaccurate and bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland