Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,402,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
If people like Oakland, and are okay with what it is now, then that's fine. They will continue living in the city and be happy.

But I personally don't think many people would be happy or satisfied with the way Oakland is right now.
The fact is that there are entire neighborhoods of people in Oakland who ignore what goes on many miles removed from them, and don't care. We may not agree with that attitude, but it's alive and well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
SFGate is also biased in crime reporting as well.
This has never been proven despite dozens of post asking for proof.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,788,401 times
Quote:
This has never been proven despite dozens of post asking for proof.
You have ignored dozens of posts where people post incidents that happened in sf that weren't covered by the Chron an similar incidents that were covered as news. Particularly shootings. Dozens per week are not covered in the Chron. Happens all the time. Look at what the examiner covers the chronicle or sfappeal. Then compare the crime covered in the Chron.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Last edited by jade408; 03-19-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmendel View Post
Correct. If any bias, the liberal rags would put Oakland in a positive light.
Exactly. Especially SFGate one of the most liberal of liberal rags.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:10 PM

Here is a quick comparison:
What is in SFAppeal for "shootings"
Movable Type | Movable Type Pro

And the Chron for recent results:
The Chron has changed its algorithm so AP stories come up first. Instead of local stories, you have to click a few times to find it:
http://www.sfgate.com/search/?contro...=home&period=7

Only one of the incidents that SFappeal covered was in the Chron.

The "bias" the the Chron exhibits is underreporting SF incidents and overreporting the Oakland ones by comparison.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
You have ignored dozens of posts where people post incidents that happened in sf that weren't covered by the Chron an similar incidents that were covered as news. Particularly shootings. Dozens per week are not covered in the Chron. Happens all the time. Look at what the examiner covers the chronicle or sfappeal. Then compare the crime covered in the Chron.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Dozens of post based on someone's opinion on under reporting and over reporting, yes.

Actual proof? No.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:19 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,593,977 times
Quote:
Here is a quick comparison:
What is in SFAppeal for "shootings"
Movable Type | Movable Type Pro

And the Chron for recent results:
The Chron has changed its algorithm so AP stories come up first. Instead of local stories, you have to click a few times to find it:
http://www.sfgate.com/search/?contro...=home&period=7

Only one of the incidents that SFappeal covered was in the Chron.

The "bias" the the Chron exhibits is underreporting SF incidents and overreporting the Oakland ones by comparison.
Interesting

Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Dozens of post based on someone's opinion on under reporting and over reporting, yes.

Actual proof? No.
If I was a bored grad student.....this would be an easy enough procedure. On any given week, you can find 5-6 incidents in SF that are covered by other local papers, that are not covered by the Chron. Simaltaneously, a similar incident in Oakland would be covered. On any given week, if you were to analyze the headlines of SF crime stories, the bulk are written like "Shooting in Bayview." and the equivalent Oakland story says "Shooting in Oakland."

I posted evidence from this week. It is pretty consistent week to week, because each time you post a comment about the "imaginary" media bias, someone will refute the claim with a similar example from the current week or month.

Is their sample bias? Not really as it seems to be easily evidenced week over week and month over month at any given time. That is what I would call a pattern of behavior and not an anomaly.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
If I was a bored grad student.....this would be an easy enough procedure.
So it's easy to prove it, but you won't do it. Okay!

Old 03-19-2013, 04:16 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,695,550 times
Quote:
So it's easy to prove it, but you won't do it. Okay!
Should be easy for you to interview more than just your tenants as to why they live in Oakland as well, Doc...

I'm very freakin patient and will wait. I might just bring it up every once in awhile though.

Here, I will interview a random passerby about why they live in Oakland. /reaches into a hat

Jade come on down. Please tell me why you live in Oakland in a couple short sentences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland