Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times

Advertisements

Let me try to simplify...

No one is disputing the numbers... yet, 400,000 people continue to call Oakland home.

Among these are people that have lived here for generations and those that just arrived...

As 18Montclair has so many times pointed out... the demographics in Oakland cover just about every social and economic group that exists in America... from the poor to the wealthy and everything in between.

It amazes me that people that have never lived in Oakland or only know what they have read or seen out the window going down the freeway will totally dismiss the collective writings of those of us that live here.

I have hosted many foreign visitors... some have even taken Marshall arts coursed in preparation for their visit to the SF Bay Area... everyone has been pleasantly surprised and dismissed the media reports for sensationalizing.

Cutting to the chase... Oakland has problems... taken at face value it is often listed as one of the most dangerous cities in America and fails to live up to that title when people compare it to most parts of the world.

I also wholeheartedly agree that Oakland would not be the place for you... no malice intended.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-20-2013 at 05:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
the wall street journal,forbes magazine,new york times,boston globe,La times,sunset magazine,travel & leisure and washington post advise people to visit oakland and experience the remarkable urban renewal.

you can believe trolls on this board who have a pathological hatred of oakland and stay away or listen to the wall street journal and new york times and check out oakland for yourself.

Oakland's Temescal Goes From Rundown to Reborn - WSJ.com

Oakland Ranks #5 On New York Times’ List Of Places To Visit In 2012 « CBS San Francisco

A thoroughly modern Oakland - Los Angeles Times

Things to do in Oakland, California - Sunset.com

16. Oakland, CA - Morgan Brennan - Forbes

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food...oakland_calif/

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/11/27...ooms.html?_r=0

Oakland California's Best Hot Spots - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Old 02-02-2013, 02:32 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
Did you? This was at the murmur.
Since you dont know, I'll fill you in.

Luka's, where I was with my Angeleno bff who is now desparate to move here, is located half a block from the art murmur and we were at first friday walking through galleries before making our way to Luka's where we met up with some other friends who recently moved to Oakland from the East Coast.

We had a blast. People were upbeat, smiles everywhere.

Glad I could help you.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:42 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
i was dining in uptown last night and the dining and nightlife scene is very large thousands of people out and about .
development of the nightlife and fox and paramount theatre is great the downside is the violence that occurs with a youth oriented nightlife

soma is an example of what happens in these entertainment areas.
mix guys with bad attitudes,alcohol and women to fight over and violence occurs
the idea that this combination only causes problems in oaklands entertainment area is absurd

San Francisco: One killed in early-morning shooting in SOMA | abc7news.com

2 Men Shot In San Francisco

2 Arrested In San Francisco SoMa Shooting, Standoff « CBS San Francisco

Man Stabbed in SoMa Ten Days Ago Dies: SFist

Suspect Sought After San Francisco SoMa Face Stabbing « CBS San Francisco

Woman Stabbed In Neck In SOMA: News: SFAppeal

Man stabbed to death in SoMa Tuesday evening | Mike Aldax | Crime | San Francisco Examiner

Old 02-02-2013, 02:43 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
^lol wow, almost perfect timing on the content of both of our posts. You beat me by one minute though.

It's sad that I have to do this all the time...but let's have a reality check for these Oakland crime doom-and-gloom posters who seem to notice shootings, murders and other crime only when they occur in Oakland.

Here's a sample of recent crime events in SF that the major Bay Area media outlets (and thus, most people) have mostly ignored (as usual):

Victim of SOMA Attack Dies Of Injuries: News: SFAppeal
Man dead, cousin wounded in S.F. shooting - SFGate
Two Killed Following SFPD Traffic Stop In Mission District: News: SFAppeal
Man Stabbed To Death On New Year's Day: News: SFAppeal
Fatal Fillmore shooting victim is ID'd - SFGate
Man Shot At 16th And Mission: News: SFAppeal
Man shot by thieves in Mission district | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
15-year-old injured in shooting near youth event in San Francisco | Mike Aldax | Crime | San Francisco Examiner
Victim shot in arm during home-invasion robbery in Mission Terrace | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
Woman zapped in face with stun gun in attempted San Francisco robbery | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
Man accused of setting girlfriend on fire in San Francisco has prior domestic violence convictions | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
San Francisco police seek attempted-rape suspect after woman fights off attacker | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
Telegraph Hill sexual assault victim praised for courageous actions | Rob Nagle | Crime | San Francisco Examiner
Brute slashes woman for refusing sexual advances in Tenderloin | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
Killer sought after man found stabbed in Bayview | Bay City News | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
19-year-old shot in leg in Western Addition | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
SF police investigate two separate New Year's Eve shootings | abc7news.com
Suspect arrested in 2010 Sunset District home invasion and slaying, SF police announce | Bay City News | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
Crook flees after robbery on The Embarcadero | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
San Francisco man arrested after bat attack in apartment building | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
Man hears shots in Bayview, realizes they were headed at him | Bay City News | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
No charges filed as police probe bike lock assault on Fillmore | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
San Francisco man ID
With San Francisco cops and community on high alert, trio nabbed in Bernal Heights mugging | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
San Francisco police release details of attempted rape in hopes of catching suspect | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
Yet Another Mistrial Declared In SFPD Crime Lab Tech Cocaine Theft Case: News: SFAppeal
San Francisco cops call robbery suspect
Man charged in connection with sexual assault in San Francisco | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
Pair of bullies swipe victim
Employee clobbered by change-hungry crooks | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
Aspiring bank bandit tied to two flubbed hold-ups | Bay City News | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
Marina District Gas Station Robbed: News: SFAppeal
Man accused of DUI after Mission cop car collision | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
SFPD Nabs Suspect In Post Street Homicide: News: SFAppeal
Chinatown Residents Warned About Lunar New Year Crimes: News: SFAppeal
Carjacker commandeers cabbie
Boy one of 3 injured in San Francisco shootings on New Year
Bayview Shooting Injures One: News: SFAppeal

Everyone knows Oakland has a crime problem. Other cities have crime problems too though, including SF, so where are the endless threads about crime in SF?

Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsmithwick View Post
I just moved to SF and find this city to expensive and cluttered. I've only visited Oakland 3 times and found it to have less people and less traffic which gives it a nice slower pace. But i admit I havent been there during the night. I see on the news about all the killings and high crime. I read all about what the FBI says. But then again he media likes to focus on the negative and ignore the positive. Is there anyone here who has lived in Oakland for at least a year and can give me the 'real lowdown'?
Just don't stroll the streets just north of the OAK airport...it is not good for children and other living things.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Just don't stroll the streets just north of the OAK airport...it is not good for children and other living things.
Er, directly north of the airport is Bay Farm Island...

Trust me, its fine for living things. LOL

Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM

mod cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster
i was dining in uptown last night and the dining and nightlife scene is very large thousands of people out and about .
Yes, there were thousands of people out last night. It was so awesome.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-20-2013 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,019 times
mod cut
One article I read about it, however, said they believe this is the first time in 7 years anything like this has happened. During NYE there were some moron(s) shooting on Fisherman's Wharf and someone got shot. I don't see people freaking out about that. (And when I was Googling for info, sure enough, a gang member recently got shot and killed in that area recently too.)

Anyway, I've been to the Art Murmur a few times. My first time was last year in the spring. The summer is just the time to skip it as the weather is nice but there are tons of people everywhere. Moving around in all of that is just irritating.

The last time I went was in January. The event goes from 6pm to 9pm. The shooting occurred almost 2 hours later. There were still people out and about which is why 3 other people got caught in it, but I won't avoid going to the art walk. I'll just not loiter around after the event is over.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-20-2013 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Yep. That's where it happened.

I heard about the shooting today and it's sad.

One article I read about it, however, said they believe this is the first time in 7 years anything like this has happened. During NYE there were some moron(s) shooting on Fisherman's Wharf and someone got shot. I don't see people freaking out about that. (And when I was Googling for info, sure enough, a gang member recently got shot and killed in that area recently too.)

Anyway, I've been to the Art Murmur a few times. My first time was last year in the spring. The summer is just the time to skip it as the weather is nice but there are tons of people everywhere. Moving around in all of that is just irritating.

The last time I went was in January. The event goes from 6pm to 9pm. The shooting occurred almost 2 hours later. There were still people out and about which is why 3 other people got caught in it, but I won't avoid going to the art walk. I'll just not loiter around after the event is over.
I have gone a few times since the beginning when it was Art Murmur and all about the galleries, to now when it was first Fridays. The last time was in January.

It is definitely way too crowded for me these days. I don't even go North of Grand or west of Broadway most of the time.

The city does need an action plan to handle the huge crowds First Fridays bring to downtown, it is extremely popular and packed with people attending from all over the region. Hopefully this incident encourages more formal organization and oversight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland