U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 AM
 
14,078 posts, read 26,021,592 times
Reputation: 8228

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareaadvisor View Post
It's been proven that in Oakland, crime is random and violent. There was a gang who randomly shot into a crowd at an Uptown event a few nights ago. That area is not the ghetto, it is a well patronized decent neighborhood.

And do you remember about the shooting at the decent movie theatre in the decent area called Jack London Square? The cops are spat on and demoralized while the criminals are empowered and growing bolder every day. They just don't care who and where they shoot.
This begs the question... if Oakland is so bad and no one is safe... what should be done?

If we close Oakland and make it one big park... those of us displaced will have to go somewhere and it could be to your neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 AM
 
14,078 posts, read 26,021,592 times
Reputation: 8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareaadvisor View Post
The reason is these ex-felons have a right to return to the community they came from, that is Oakland. This is where their friends and family are, their support system. If you do not allow the felons to return to their former neighborhoods, that would be a form of discrimination.
Well according the my Law Enforcement friends it is because Oakland is the county seat... so, I guess we're just lucky again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, CA
2,518 posts, read 1,759,916 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I think it is... counting my Great Grandparents... I'm the 4th generation to live here.

I was born in San Jose and in the 60's my family returned to Oakland... the neighbors thought my parents were committing child abuse... the racist comments still ring in my head.

All through my childhood and later when I bought homes... never had a bad neighbor and to this day have not. My first house was on Havenscourt and then on 92nd Ave and then over to Fruitvale and later near golf links...

Each neighborhood had people that cared about the community and looked out for each other... hardly the description of a no man's land or militarized zone.

Add to that Oakland is in the Geographic center of the Bay and has unbeatable climate... the least heating and cooling days of any major metro area in the country...

I really haven't heard anyone dispute the stats... that said, how do you account for the nearly 400k people that live here?

Obviously there are less expensive places to live and people are mobile... so it's not as if anyone is forced to live here...

There are couple of things I would like to see changed...

For starters... why are the criminals from the county and state jails released to the streets of Oakland... how about letting them walk out the gates of Santa Rita when they have served their time instead of transporting them to Oakland?

Second... whenever there are arrest headlines beamed around the world... like Occupy or Oscar Grant... the principals and the majority of those arrested don't even live in Oakland.
I don't understand your point to be honest. Why isn't Oakland's population 600,000?

Because 400,000 people live in a city, it automatically means crime isn't a deterrent to people to live there? Mogadishu has a population of 3,000,000 and it's one of the most clear examples of a failed, war torn state in the world.

Some have no choice but to live in Oakland because of prices and rents. Even many people who boost Oakland claim "hipsters and artist are moving in." Artist aren't exactly known for their over flowing wallets. Add in that Oakland is located next to many job centers, it is able to attract people to live in the city.

That being said, WE both should know since we own property in the city, that rents aren't going to be like S.F for a reason. My Oakland rentals rent per sqft much less than my rentals in South Beach, that's simply a fact of life. Why is that? It's because Oakland is less desirable than the surrounding cities it borders. Sure that could change in 60 years, it could change magically in 6 years. But the fact remains, at this point and time, Oakland's high crime and poor schools are a huge deterrent to families, and other individuals who would otherwise make the move.

Add in the fact that Oakland has one of the highest sexual offender populations in the Bay Area, budget cuts, horribly run government officials, corrupt police department, it's not exactly a city I would feel comfortable recommending to middle class working people with families. There are much better alternatives right now.

Also, answer this simple question, if Oakland is so desirable for people to live, why is it that Oakland is the ONLY large city in California where the overall population decreased from 2000-2010? The Bay Area is one of the most desirable places in the U.S to live, yet the population decreased over that decade, which experienced two tech booms.

Last edited by DocGoldstein; 02-03-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,105 posts, read 32,667,991 times
Reputation: 10662
Average Rent, January 2013
San Francisco $2,741
Oakland $1,961
San Jose $1,825

S.F. apartment market is hot - SFGate

Oakland is actually experiencing the fastest rise in rents of any of the 3 Bay Area cities. Up 28% over the past 2 years and 17% in the past year--that is VERY HOT.

San Francisco is the most expensive rental market in the United States and Oakland and SJ are also among the most expensive rental markets in the United States. Oakland has actually been more expensive than San Jose for a while now.

I have dozens of emails from friends across the country and world trying to move specifically to Oakland, many of them could live anywhere they want--including my bff from LA, but they want and seek out Oakland, and they are calling and emailing and texting me incesssantly, and I dont even work in real estate.

But they know I know Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, CA
2,518 posts, read 1,759,916 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Average Rent, January 2013
San Francisco $2,741
Oakland $1,961
San Jose $1,825

S.F. apartment market is hot - SFGate
This article actually makes my point. From the article:

Quote:
Price resistance
"At a certain point, landlords encounter some price resistance. Some people will choose to look in other cities like Oakland" rather than pay sky-high San Francisco rents, Bridge said.
People are moving to Oakland not as a "first choice", but because they've been priced out of S.F. That's why Oakland is attracting more artist (people not known for high stable income). It's good for the city culturally, but not an indication of inherent desirability.

When the difference for a 1 bedroom apartment is nearly $1,000 a month, it begins to make sense to make the move across the bridge, despite the cons of doing so (higher crime, less attractions, etc).

That being said, I have ZERO vacant S.F rentals. I've raised the rent by 5-10% since 2010 on many of them, and still no one moves out. The last time I had a vacancy in 2009, my market time was roughly 1-2 days.

In Oakland, where I admittedly have less rentals, I've had vacancy as long as 2 months. So there is a huge difference in market time between S.F and Oakland.

Also another fact to think about is that Oakland is one of the few cities in the Bay Area that experienced negative population growth between 2000-2010 according to the census. This is an area that has had TWO technology booms, yet Oakland's population decreased. I think that speaks more about desirability than any anecdotal stories could. People are choosing to leave Oakland on average, rather than live in Oakland.

Last edited by DocGoldstein; 02-03-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,105 posts, read 32,667,991 times
Reputation: 10662
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
In Oakland, where I admittedly have less rentals, I've had vacancy as long as 2 months.
Well that's interesting cause I know many landlords in this city who have long waiting lists.

Then again, you might have a problem with upkeep and how your Oakland properties are maintained. Generally people want somewhere inviting and clean to live in. Would you like some recommendations for a good cleaning service or management company?

I'm always looking to help fellow property owners in Oakland.

Quote:
People are moving to Oakland not as a "first choice", but because they've been priced out of S.F.
Similar to Manhattan and Brooklyn. I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,105 posts, read 32,667,991 times
Reputation: 10662
And the staggering low inventory of homes for sale in the $750,000+ range is really making a mess of things in the upscale rental market in Oakland, like other Bay Area places as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,105 posts, read 32,667,991 times
Reputation: 10662
For example, according to the US Census Bureau, there are 6,000+ million dollar homes in this city and only 12 are for sale at this time. That is less than a trickle. LOL

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-03-2013 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: please stop using copyrighted photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, CA
2,518 posts, read 1,759,916 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well that's interesting cause I know many landlords in this city who have long waiting lists.

Then again, you might have a problem with upkeep and how your Oakland properties are maintained. Generally people want somewhere inviting and clean to live in. Would you like some recommendations for a good cleaning service or management company?

I'm always looking to help fellow property owners in Oakland.


Similar to Manhattan and Brooklyn. I agree.
My properties in the East Bay are for the most part maintained by SLPM, you know, the management company that manages 50-60% of all Oakland rentals on the market.

Oakland may be hot now because of all the S.F people who are being priced out of the city, but as I said, it's not because of inherent desirability. Oakland has become a substitute for S.F when it comes to rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,105 posts, read 32,667,991 times
Reputation: 10662
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
My properties in the East Bay are for the most part maintained by SLPM, you know, the management company that manages 50-60% of all Oakland rentals on the market.
Well that's interesting cause it appears you arent getting your money's worth if you are struggling so much with your Oakland properties while most other landords are actually seeing record returns on their Oakland investments.

Poor thing.

Quote:
Oakland may be hot now because of all the S.F people who are being priced out of the city
Just like Manhattan and Brooklyn. I can live with this assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:28 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top