Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times

Advertisements

So I've been living here for about 5 years and I've noticed that my allergies during the spring seem to really kick in around mid-April. It's complete misery- non-stop sinus pressure, constant coughing, itchy red eyes, etc. Currently I'm taking Flonase, Allegra D, an inhaler for asthma, and I use a neti pot. Anybody out there in the same boat with any tips to be less miserable? When will it end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
I didn't start having allergies till I moved to SD. However, many people do get them in the Bay Area especially if they're transplants to the Bay Area. I think it's one of the worse places for many allergy sufferers.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
^weird, I was the opposite. I used to get allergies BAD every year growing up in the Bay Area, I hated it so much. Then they pretty much disappeared after I moved to San Diego. Now that I've been back I haven't really had many issues yet. So I'm kind of curious, did you get them bad you're first year after moving up here or did the progressively get worse? I'm just wondering if my allergies are gonna return as I live here longer.

Also I don't know about transplants getting them worse, a lot of my friends and family (all natives) get them bad every year. I thought maybe being by the bay would make them better than out here in an inland valley, I suppose not though.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:39 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
When I lived in SD for two years I had ZERO problems with allergies. Since moving to Oakland, they are about as bad as they were growing up on the East Coast. I had seasonal asthma as a kid that came and went throughout the years, but it seems that it is back with a vengeance now. Sucks

Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Last year was historically bad, this year appreciably worse for allergies. Brutal for just about everybody.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
There's definitely a lot of flowering plants in Oakland. SF by comparison is kind of barren. Also it rained a lot this winter and early spring so plants are going hyper.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
When I lived in SD for two years I had ZERO problems with allergies. Since moving to Oakland, they are about as bad as they were growing up on the East Coast. I had seasonal asthma as a kid that came and went throughout the years, but it seems that it is back with a vengeance now. Sucks
I think there's like 1 or 2 things in SD that the Bay may not have that trigger them for me.

The Bay Area though has a higher than normal number of plant species due to it's many pronounced microclimates. This along with the fact that the climate allows everything from tropical to cold temperate exotics mean that allergy sufferers are in for it big time.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:20 AM

10 posts, read 59,820 times
I'm from the midwest where we have the A/C running 24/7 all summer and the heat on for the remaining months. Dust, mold, germs and illness run rampant year round as a result. I have experimented with a variety of solutions to my chronic sinus problems, I tried every medication out there to treat it. I finally had to look at what I eat and clean out my system for two weeks to determine if I have any food allergies. I went on a yeast free diet (check out the Yeast Connection Handbook) and discovered I'm allergic to white flour, sugar, and dairy. Since then I have cut out alot of trigger foods and now I hardly ever get sick anymore. The only time I have issues with infections at this point are when I am eating a lot of foods that I'm allergic to. Check out your diet, changing it is rough and involves a lot of discipline but it might help you feel healthy on a consistent basis. Also, go and get yourself an air purifier. My boyfriend used to have bad asthma attacks and now hardly has them at all ever since we bought one for our bedroom. Hope that helps.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago81 View Post
I'm from the midwest where we have the A/C running 24/7 all summer and the heat on for the remaining months. Dust, mold, germs and illness run rampant year round as a result. I have experimented with a variety of solutions to my chronic sinus problems, I tried every medication out there to treat it. I finally had to look at what I eat and clean out my system for two weeks to determine if I have any food allergies. I went on a yeast free diet (check out the Yeast Connection Handbook) and discovered I'm allergic to white flour, sugar, and dairy. Since then I have cut out alot of trigger foods and now I hardly ever get sick anymore. The only time I have issues with infections at this point are when I am eating a lot of foods that I'm allergic to. Check out your diet, changing it is rough and involves a lot of discipline but it might help you feel healthy on a consistent basis. Also, go and get yourself an air purifier. My boyfriend used to have bad asthma attacks and now hardly has them at all ever since we bought one for our bedroom. Hope that helps.
Quote:
I've noticed that my allergies during the spring seem to really kick in around mid-April.
I think it's safe to rule out food allergies

Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 AM

10 posts, read 59,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think it's safe to rule out food allergies

The body can be much more resilient to allergy season if the immune system isn't being attacked by foods one might be sensitive to to begin with.

Perhaps you should stick to what you know, plants and climate change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland