U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,556 times
Smile Oakland in the media and Real Estate values

I just moved to SF and find this city to expensive and cluttered. I've only visited Oakland 3 times and found it to have less people and less traffic which gives it a nice slower pace. But i admit I havent been there during the night. I see on the news about all the killings and high crime. I read all about what the FBI says. But then again he media likes to focus on the negative and ignore the positive. Is there anyone here who has lived in Oakland for at least a year and can give me the 'real lowdown'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 PM

2,967 posts, read 2,316,321 times
I've lived here for 6 years. If you actually want an informed opinion send me a direct message, because this thread is going to devolve quickly.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 PM

5,068 posts, read 4,194,269 times
It depends on which part of Oakland, some are better than others.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 PM

7,472 posts, read 6,362,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It depends on which part of Oakland, some are better than others.
OP, refer to ^^^this piece of info as this thread proceeds south. Provides proper perspective amidst the fear-mongering sensationalism to come.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 PM

14,085 posts, read 16,443,863 times
My wife was born and raised in Oakland, and we lived there for about 6 years. We were off of 35th ave just below the 580 freeway, and never had any problems, though the convenience store on the corner got robbed regularly. There were areas that we wouldn't go to at night, but as long as you become familiar with where to go and where to stay away from, you can be safe there. We did move to the suburbs father east/south when we decided to start a family.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 11,266,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I've lived here for 6 years. If you actually want an informed opinion send me a direct message, because this thread is going to devolve quickly.
+10

send me a PM, and I'll happily share. I have lived in Oakland for about 9 years now.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,680,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsmithwick View Post
I just moved to SF and find this city to expensive and cluttered. I've only visited Oakland 3 times and found it to have less people and less traffic which gives it a nice slower pace. But i admit I havent been there during the night. I see on the news about all the killings and high crime. I read all about what the FBI says. But then again he media likes to focus on the negative and ignore the positive. Is there anyone here who has lived in Oakland for at least a year and can give me the 'real lowdown'?
Just do some research on the property values in the East Bay. Compare Albany, Alameda, Berkeley, and Oakland. Compare similar properties, in general you will find that Oakland will always clearly be the cheapest option. Think about that for a second, it's not your imagination, you get what you pay for.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 PM

24,929 posts, read 31,778,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsmithwick View Post
One thing I like about Oakland vs SF is the 'declutter' you mention---Oakland is greener, you have the opportunity to have a yard where it might not be possible in similar SF areas and so forth, and yet its not a dead suburban setting, Oakland very much has urban qualities that satisfy ones hankering for big city living. I think you might appreciate the Grand Lake, Lakeshore, Piedmont Av and Temescal areas...Rockridge too but its a little more upscale.

Also, check out Glenview, Dimond, Upper Dimond and Laurel too.

There are many others too but the aforementioned areas are the ones many of my friends have moved to from out of town, fairly recently.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,564,178 times
Oakland, the fantasy:

Oakland, the reality:

Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 AM

13,787 posts, read 25,181,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Just do some research on the property values in the East Bay. Compare Albany, Alameda, Berkeley, and Oakland. Compare similar properties, in general you will find that Oakland will always clearly be the cheapest option. Think about that for a second, it's not your imagination, you get what you pay for.
Funny you should say that...

In 1957 two brothers both married... one bought a home near Bishop O'Dowd High School in Oakland with a panoramic view and the other bought a home in Lafayette for half the price...

The one that bought in Lafayette decided he couldn't afford the home he wanted in Oakland so he bought out in the boondocks because it was much cheaper... also turned out to be colder in the winter and hot in the summer.

Just trying to point out that comparing property is a snapshot in time... things change and Real Estate is very cyclical...

Look at South of Market in SF... there was a time when it was full of vacant industrial property and see how it has transformed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland