U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2013, 02:29 AM
 
14,572 posts, read 12,503,672 times
Reputation: 10539

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Cookie cutter suburban vibe"? In ORINDA?? Orinda is the farthest thing from that. Unless there's been some new development the last 20 years that I don't know about. Oh well. Whatever. Berkeley's good, too.
That's what I was thinking. If money is no object, I'd still prefer Berkeley, especially if I worked there. While Orinda is suburban, it's really not cookie cutter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2013, 04:18 AM
 
1,877 posts, read 1,195,562 times
Reputation: 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Isn't the price the ultimate deal breaker wherever you want to live? /shrug
No, I can afford to live where I live. There are plenty of houses here (in Wilmette, Illinois) that I can't afford but I don't want anything that big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 AM
 
1,877 posts, read 1,195,562 times
Reputation: 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's what I was thinking. If money is no object, I'd still prefer Berkeley, especially if I worked there. While Orinda is suburban, it's really not cookie cutter.
I know. I don't respond to every silly comment that I see. When I lived in Orinda, it was in a log cabin (seriously!) on El Toyonal surrounded by ranch houses, bungalows, and every other kind of non-cookie cutter housing that the freaks in Berkeley chose to build in the 1950s and 1960s when they got a little money and wandered over the hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 AM
 
2,060 posts, read 3,535,540 times
Reputation: 1378
Interesting about the comments regarding "Cookie-Cutter". I moved here 12-13 years ago and what's interesting is that a lot of suburbs in the Bay Area are a lot older- as in the "new" stuff was built in the 50's and 60's and thus it has a bit of charm compared to what you'll see in most other parts of the country where cookie cutter literally means row upon row of dull plastic-clad McMansions.

I lived in Berkeley for a few years. Honestly, I moved out of there for a few reasons. No.1 is that the traffic SUCKS. Its ridiculous that for a city as small as it is that it has some of the worst traffic in the Bay Area. Getting anywhere takes absolutely forever, parking is difficult, and in most areas they've even made it to where if you don't have a residential sticker you will have to move your car every 2 hours.

No.2 is that while I am pretty liberal, Berkeley takes it to a whole different level. That got really old after awhile. Every other car had some sort of angry bumper sticker.

No.3, the weather is sort of nasty. Especially in the summer when every day without fail an ominous cold fog came rolling down from the hills and a nice summer day suddenly turned into a cold foggy day.

No.4. Its EXPENSIVE. As in renting and buying is really high.

The Bay Area has some extreme price differentiation. For example the 1,600 square foot house we bought for around 520k would easily cost well over a million bucks some 30 miles down the road in say- Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Atherton, etc. It takes me maybe 35-40 minutes to get to work. Not that big of a deal if you ask me. Yet a LOT of people here seem to think that driving anywhere is the end of the world and so they seemingly think its wayyyy better to instead spend 50%+ more on a house to be maybe a total of 10-15 minutes in commute time closer to work ( because even if they live closer the traffic in some of those Silicon Valley towns is awful and that too takes time)

I dunno.... we bought and I am very glad we did. But real estate here is really screwy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 03:19 AM
 
1,877 posts, read 1,195,562 times
Reputation: 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Interesting about the comments regarding "Cookie-Cutter". I moved here 12-13 years ago and what's interesting is that a lot of suburbs in the Bay Area are a lot older- as in the "new" stuff was built in the 50's and 60's and thus it has a bit of charm....
Actually I'd guess that the person who called Orinda cookie-cutter has never been there. It's one of the most distinctive suburban environments in the world. I'd rank it above Mill Valley, Atherton, or Woodside (and it's cheaper).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
 
616 posts, read 507,072 times
Reputation: 498
Sometimes I think people have forgotten how to have patience. I have been living in the Bay Area for almost 30 years. For the first 10 years, I rented apartments with roommates. That's how I could afford it. For five years, I rented an apartment on my own. Finally, then, I bought my first house. So it took 15 years of gaining skills and experience, moving up in my career, and increasing my my salary, until I could reach that level of stability and security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM
 
277 posts, read 256,796 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Sometimes I think people have forgotten how to have patience. I have been living in the Bay Area for almost 30 years. For the first 10 years, I rented apartments with roommates. That's how I could afford it. For five years, I rented an apartment on my own. Finally, then, I bought my first house. So it took 15 years of gaining skills and experience, moving up in my career, and increasing my my salary, until I could reach that level of stability and security.
I think that's the exactly point/gripe. Ppl dont want to wait until they're 40-45 y/o before they can make the downpayment and get a 30 year mortgage on a 3 bedroom apartment. They'd rather do that when they're 25-30 y/o, along with a less burdensome mortgage and more real estate. In almost anywhere outside of SF and NYC, that's a totally reasonable desire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
6,395 posts, read 1,992,797 times
Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
I think that's the exactly point/gripe. Ppl dont want to wait until they're 40-45 y/o before they can make the downpayment and get a 30 year mortgage on a 3 bedroom apartment. They'd rather do that when they're 25-30 y/o, along with a less burdensome mortgage and more real estate. In almost anywhere outside of SF and NYC, that's a totally reasonable desire
You can still purchase a home in the bay area when you are 25-30 and make ok money for the area. My wife and I have a combined household income of a little less than 160k. You just have to be willing to not live on the peninsula or the more desirable areas of santa clara county. The bay area is filled with many safe and acceptable areas, people just get all wrapped up in having their kids go to a "10" rated school. If they would accept a "6-7" rated school they could probably live in an area that is 60% less expensive.
I think parents fail to realize is you get out of school what you put into it and a good student will excel in a "3" or "5" school as much as a "10" school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
 
11 posts, read 11,524 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You can still purchase a home in the bay area when you are 25-30 and make ok money for the area. My wife and I have a combined household income of a little less than 160k. You just have to be willing to not live on the peninsula or the more desirable areas of santa clara county. The bay area is filled with many safe and acceptable areas, people just get all wrapped up in having their kids go to a "10" rated school. If they would accept a "6-7" rated school they could probably live in an area that is 60% less expensive.
I think parents fail to realize is you get out of school what you put into it and a good student will excel in a "3" or "5" school as much as a "10" school.
Where can you do that? Concord? Antioch, Pittsburg? Who wants to live way out there.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Dimond, Oakland, CA
109 posts, read 153,473 times
Reputation: 108
@Jerry Stansfield, Oakland has plenty of good rated schools and the home prices would be what Shooting4Life can afford. In addition, places like Alameda, San Leandro, and even parts of Berkeley would allow that. I know because I am in a similar boat age and earning wise to the description and have done the research leading to a house purchase. It is more than just about patience, it is about making solid financial decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top