Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM

297 posts, read 766,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
Rare you can bet 200 rich Chinese and Filipinos will be having a cash bidding war that will push that thing to close to a million.

You're exaggerating a bit, that's about the going rate for homes in Daly City/Pacifica/South San Francisco/San Bruno, varying of course by quality of house and neighborhood. Last month I bid on a house in Daly City, it was the typical Daly city house, garage/partial conversion of living space on ground floor, main living space on the top. This place had views of Mt. Tam, Mt. Sutro and Mt. San Bruno. It was 2 bed/1 bath upstairs, 2 bd/1 bath downstairs. It was in need of updates, but in very good shape, in a nice neighborhood. It was on the market for 2 weeks (only because they didn't look at bids until 2 weeks after list), and they had 32 bids, it was listed at 499k, and ended up selling for 580k. yes, its competitive, but things aren't getting bid up quite that much if you're willing to live in a foggy area or with so-so schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM

116 posts, read 190,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post
You're exaggerating a bit, that's about the going rate for homes in Daly City/Pacifica/South San Francisco/San Bruno, varying of course by quality of house and neighborhood. Last month I bid on a house in Daly City, it was the typical Daly city house, garage/partial conversion of living space on ground floor, main living space on the top. This place had views of Mt. Tam, Mt. Sutro and Mt. San Bruno. It was 2 bed/1 bath upstairs, 2 bd/1 bath downstairs. It was in need of updates, but in very good shape, in a nice neighborhood. It was on the market for 2 weeks (only because they didn't look at bids until 2 weeks after list), and they had 32 bids, it was listed at 499k, and ended up selling for 580k. yes, its competitive, but things aren't getting bid up quite that much if you're willing to live in a foggy area or with so-so schools.
Not sure how I"m exaggerating, you said yourself it was a 2 bedroom 1 bath house that had 32 bidders and sold for 580K. Try a 4 bedroom 2 or 3 bath house. Trust me it will go for close to 1 million.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Not bad. A friend of mine just paid about $500K for a 700 square foot "condo alternative" house in the Outer Sunset. I'd rather live in a real house in Daly City.
I got a solid Junior 5 in the Sunset (Parkside) in 2009 for a little bit over that. It had just been heavily upgraded before the bubble burst a year earlier. Just under 1K sq feet. Thank goodness I was able to do it before the current feeding frenzy began. Only reason I got out there was to be near a MUNI line. I actually like Westlake a lot. Had several family members over the years live there (back in the "Little Boxes" era. )

That budget will get you a decent little house or a good condo in Pacifica - if you can stand the fog. Schools are better there than DC.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
Like others said- consider renting first. The Bay Area is a generic term and covers a HUGE area. Like anywhere else, prices are going to be grossly more or less depending on where the house is. If you absolutely have to live in the choicest locations like parts of SF, certain parts of Silicon Valley, and so on then prepare to pay out the nose. If you're willing to make concessions like maybe a longer commute, places like the east bay can be a lot more doable price-wise. We rented for years before buying last year in the east bay and what we paid is about 50% less than the more desirable parts of SV and SF. The commute isn't awful: maybe 30-40 minutes each way.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
True i just paid 1.4 million for a 1900 sq ft house in Berkeley. Unless you want to live in some central valley town like concord or further you're going to be paying over a million.
We bought a 1,600 square foot house in a semi-desirable east bay neighborhood for around 520k. That's quite a difference between that and a million bucks.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:21 PM

What does Semi-Desirable mean? and where in the East Bay? Way out in Contra Costa somewhere?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Nope. Alameda. But shhhh.... not many people know about Alameda, yet. I like it here about 200% more than anywhere in Berkeley.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM

I like Alameda. I just don't like the fact it has no BART

Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Alameda has buses and a ferry. Getting to SF takes me about 15 minutes via Ferry if I go. But yes, I understand it has no actual BART train there. I suppose to some people that's a deal-breaker, but to me its worth it seeing as how Alameda might be one of the last cities close to the water with decent weather in the Bay Area that is at least by area standards still remotely affordable.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The 800k was just the down payment. Figuring a typical 20% down, yes, $4 million will get you a pretty nice house in many parts of the Bay Area. Even in Menlo/Atherton, $2-3 million will get you something that looks like middle-class housing.
Banks will typically lend out 3-4x income, so to pull that kind of a loan you need to be making $1 million a year anyway.

Personally, given that kind of scratch, I'd buy an apartment building and live in the biggest unit for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland