U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:07 PM

112 posts, read 99,016 times
Move to Albany. You can get a two bedroom for $1400, and take the el Cerrito plaza BART to DT SF. Additionally, you don't need a car in Albany, since it is very walkable and all the amenities you would need to live with are close. Most apartments are month to month, so once your wife starts working you can move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM

25 posts, read 26,680 times
With 91k in SF, you will be barely scraping by. You would realistically need to live in the small portion of the city that could still be called 'working class', the Bayview, Hunter's Point, areas that are kept cheap due to gun violence and high cancer rates from the leftover industrial pollution. You would also likely feel a bit isolated as there isn't much of a middle class in SF. For most of the city's residents, you would be thought of as lower-class, but you would be too rich to identify with the small but visible indigent population or the few people clutching onto rent controlled apartments. Most SF residents will have much nicer clothes than you, eat at restaurants you can't afford, and take much more elaborate holidays. It is an extremely wealth-focused culture. Also, SF is generally hostile to people with children, "breeders", and has let its public schools decline. Most people with the means sent their kids to private schools; with your income you probably fall into the pocket where you would be ineligible for private school scholarships, but unable to afford tuition. Children are seen as kind of distasteful in most public areas of SF.

The east bay is probably a better place to look. Alameda is lovely. Albany has good schools. Oakland has some great areas. 91k will still be a stretch for a family of three, but it is possible to live here. My wife and I have a slightly higher income than yours; we are able to live in the east bay and have an apartment in as safe and pleasant area, it would be difficult with kids though.

Everyone in the bay area drives. I am from Texas and decided I needed a car once I moved here as the bay area public transit is rather disappointing given the size of the metro area. The area's reputation for good public transit is not deserved. Don't get rid of your car till you get here and feel it out. If you end up living in an area like Bayview or the Oakland flats, you will want a car for personal safety reasons.

Unread 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM

263 posts, read 190,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wf7575 View Post
With 91k in SF, you will be barely scraping by. You would realistically need to live in the small portion of the city that could still be called 'working class', the Bayview, Hunter's Point, areas that are kept cheap due to gun violence and high cancer rates from the leftover industrial pollution. You would also likely feel a bit isolated as there isn't much of a middle class in SF. For most of the city's residents, you would be thought of as lower-class, but you would be too rich to identify with the small but visible indigent population or the few people clutching onto rent controlled apartments. Most SF residents will have much nicer clothes than you, eat at restaurants you can't afford, and take much more elaborate holidays. It is an extremely wealth-focused culture. Also, SF is generally hostile to people with children, "breeders", and has let its public schools decline. Most people with the means sent their kids to private schools; with your income you probably fall into the pocket where you would be ineligible for private school scholarships, but unable to afford tuition. Children are seen as kind of distasteful in most public areas of SF.

The east bay is probably a better place to look. Alameda is lovely. Albany has good schools. Oakland has some great areas. 91k will still be a stretch for a family of three, but it is possible to live here. My wife and I have a slightly higher income than yours; we are able to live in the east bay and have an apartment in as safe and pleasant area, it would be difficult with kids though.

Everyone in the bay area drives. I am from Texas and decided I needed a car once I moved here as the bay area public transit is rather disappointing given the size of the metro area. The area's reputation for good public transit is not deserved. Don't get rid of your car till you get here and feel it out. If you end up living in an area like Bayview or the Oakland flats, you will want a car for personal safety reasons.
lol, please tell us more about how you really feel about SF

Unread 02-11-2013, 07:52 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,569,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lospro7 View Post
Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for the quick feedback. I have an update. I was concerned about the 91K not being enough, so I've been negotiating for a higher income. I've been offered 105K. This number makes me feel MUCH more comfortable. So considering this new amount, what do you guys think? Can I live in the Bay area? My wife and I are willing to make some sacrifices. I'm thinking of not having a car with me, so one less expense...
That would be just fine if you rent a 2 bedroom apartment in the Sunset/Richmond district of SF. This is a safe ,kid-friendly and relatively peaceful area. Just be prepared to deal with absolutely horrendous cold, gloomy weather all year long.

Unread 02-11-2013, 10:20 PM

1,197 posts, read 738,979 times
>It is an extremely wealth-focused culture.

The median household income is $72,947. You can call that a wealth-focused culture or not. I would not. Go to a normal neighborhood like the outer Sunset and you will see people living perfectly respectable lives on middle incomes. It is not a good place to be poor.

>Also, SF is generally hostile to people with children, "breeders",

No one has ever bothered me on account of my heterosexuality (a restrictive lifestyle choice, I know) or the fact that I have children. Having children in any large city is a strain and that is one reason I now live in an inner-ring suburb.

>and has let its public schools decline

Just like New York, Chicago, etc. When we fix that, we will have fixed the cities.

Unread 02-12-2013, 12:04 AM

401 posts, read 294,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lospro7 View Post
I live in Ohio and I just got an offer for a job in downtown San Francisco. I have a wife, an 8 month old, and two cats. Most likely, at least for a year, my job will be the only source of income. The job comes with full benefits and a relocation stipend. So those are not my concerns, but will my income be enough to live comfortably (at least at some level)? I know the cost of living there is considerably more expensive than where I am and two room apartments can cost in the 2000s range... Also, I know this answer varies per person, but based on what I described, anyone have a rough estimate of how much I would make after taxes?

Any help is appreciated. I have 7 days to accept the offer... Thanks in advance!
Try the Sunset/Parkside/Richmond neighborhoods on Craigslist.

For an idea of what your net pay will be try the below...

California Salary Paycheck Calculator | Payroll Calculator | Paycheck City

Despite what some people think SF is not anti kid. It's just that housing is very expensive and piling orthodontics, sports, camps, daycare, etc (normal stuff in raising a child) really adds to the final tab. Public schools operate, for lack of a better term, on a lottery...some public schools are good (generally on the west side of the city) but you aren't guaranteed a spot even if living in the neighborhood. But you have a baby so no need to worry about that for a long time.

SF is compact and has excellent public trans. A car is really not necessary so that might save some costs.

Unread 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,795,473 times
What are the prospects for advancement. At some point you may want to buy a home and that's when the real sticker shock hits. Consider the short term but also think about the long term. At some point a wife will want a house. Calif. is no joke.

Unread 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM

198 posts, read 91,020 times
Just to add: I can't imagine having a baby and not having a car. With all the junk (diaper bag, stroller, food etc) you have to haul around for any kind of outing, public transportation is a challange.

Unread 02-13-2013, 11:40 AM

11 posts, read 8,669 times
That's not enough for SF with a family, you'll need at least 200K to make it there unless you enjoy cramming into an old cold 1 bedroom.

Unread 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM

6,983 posts, read 5,169,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Stansfield View Post
That's not enough for SF with a family, you'll need at least 200K to make it there unless you enjoy cramming into an old cold 1 bedroom.
Sure...for those who thoroughly mismanage their money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland