U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 11,081 times

Advertisements

I live in Ohio and I just got an offer for a job in downtown San Francisco. I have a wife, an 8 month old, and two cats. Most likely, at least for a year, my job will be the only source of income. The job comes with full benefits and a relocation stipend. So those are not my concerns, but will my income be enough to live comfortably (at least at some level)? I know the cost of living there is considerably more expensive than where I am and two room apartments can cost in the 2000s range... Also, I know this answer varies per person, but based on what I described, anyone have a rough estimate of how much I would make after taxes?

Any help is appreciated. I have 7 days to accept the offer... Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,794,062 times
You can live in the East Bay burbs and easily take BART or the Transbay buses to downtown SF. 91k should be alright if you are fine with living in an apartment in the East Bay, but it's not really enough for SF if you want a 2br and have a kid.

Look at these towns:

- Albany (kind of dense, basically a sleepier Berkeley with good schools)
- Alameda (island city next to Oakland. beautiful Victorian architecture and there's a little beach. you'd have to take a Transbay Bus to SF)
- Oakland (good if you want a pretty urban and fun place to live. yes it has very nice areas, though you'll probably want to move to a quieter suburb for better schools when your kid gets older)
- El Cerrito: north of Albany, similar town but worse schools.
- Castro Valley (starting to get more suburban)
- Dublin and Pleasanton (really suburban)
- Walnut Creek (also really suburban)

For post tax income I found this with google, be sure to click on California at the top.

Payroll Calculator | Take Home Pay Calculator | Salary Paycheck Calculator | ADP

Anyway here are some places to look at and get started:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/3594087353.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/3594110221.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/3594289709.html

Oh and also having cats might be difficult because most Bay Area landlords are very anti-pet, though more suburban areas tend to be more relaxed about it.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM

277 posts, read 252,733 times
After taxes, you're down to about 60k

You should probably be looking at places that are about 30-60 min commute via BART. Those places tend to run 2.2-3k/month for a good 2bd/2ba.

Daly City, South SF, maybe Lake Merced, Bayview (tho a bit dangerous), and East Bay are the most likely options. Maybe Glen Park

Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM

421 posts, read 485,395 times
While this is doable, I would urge you to do your homework and take a fair look at the numbers. While 91K may seem like a lot, for a family of 3 in the Bay Area it's not a huge amount. Don't underestimate child expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
.... Those places tend to run 2.2-3k/month for a good 2bd/2ba.

Daly City, South SF, maybe Lake Merced, Bayview (tho a bit dangerous), and East Bay are the most likely options. Maybe Glen Park
From this list, East Bay is your best bet. It's a huge area in itself with tremendous variety, so more research would be needed. Daly City and SSF are solid choices for those who really need to be on the Peninsula. They typically are not as good of a value as some of the East Bay locales. Lake Merced and especially Bayview I would not recommend for a variety of reasons, of which safety of a family with a small child would be number one. Glen Park is a great neighborhood, but it would be tough to afford on your budget.

Just a couple of quick numbers (based on 2007-2011 census data).

Your household income would be just above the median, compared to the 3 counties mentioned:

SF - 72.9K
Contra Costa (East Bay) - 79.1K
San Mateo (Peninsula) - 87.6K

but your per person income of 30.3K would be significantly lower than the median:

SF - 46.7K
Contra Costa - 38.1K
San Mateo - 45.5K

Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 AM

202 posts, read 184,845 times
Yes.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 11,081 times
Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for the quick feedback. I have an update. I was concerned about the 91K not being enough, so I've been negotiating for a higher income. I've been offered 105K. This number makes me feel MUCH more comfortable. So considering this new amount, what do you guys think? Can I live in the Bay area? My wife and I are willing to make some sacrifices. I'm thinking of not having a car with me, so one less expense...

Last edited by lospro7; 02-05-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,794,062 times
Sure especially if you look at those towns I listed. Good work getting the salary upgrade. As for living without a car, really I'd say SF is the only really easy place to do it, and Berkeley and Oakland are fairly easy if you make sure to live in a very walkable area with a lot of shops and some inter-city transit options, and are open to biking. I think that might be a bit hard to pull off with a kid. Other areas like Albany and Alameda would be tougher since they're just that much more spread out and don't have as many walkable commercial strips. I think having a used car would help with grocery shopping and going to Target, and would let your wife go shopping more easily during the day. Having to depend on biking or walking to Safeway or taking a bus would just be a hassle for her. AC Transit (the local bus service in Alameda County) has some good lines but most of them don't run that often, maybe about every 15 to 20 minutes, which imo isn't enough to be convenient for living without a car. Biking makes up for that but it's not as easy to do when it's dark out or rainy.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 PM

116 posts, read 86,095 times
105k Should get you a nice 1 bedroom in SF to rent.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 PM

6,520 posts, read 5,128,772 times
91k to support 3 people in SF would be tight. I'd recommend looking in East Bay unless your wife also gets a job.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 PM

147 posts, read 84,817 times
You could get a 2 BR downtown and find somebody that will pay $1000/mo to sleep on your couch. This would happen realistically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland