Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times

Advertisements

Sutro Baths ruins is the best place to start the Land's End trail, thats where it begins or Sutro Heights park, another excellent view of Ocean Beach

http://www.best-california-beach.com...co-beaches.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
What to do on a day in San Francisco?-lands-end-san-francisco-beaches.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 AM

here's something interesting I noticed about the Land's End trail, I took these photos showing the same area they filmed a scene from a movie called SUDDEN IMPACT back in 1983 with Clint Eastwood, you can see they are standing in the same spot I took the photo, but the ground has lots of erosion now in the area just a few yards down the cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDi4hiiozeI

http://0.tqn.com/d/sanfrancisco/1/0/...andsend700.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
What to do on a day in San Francisco?-78c28511.jpg   What to do on a day in San Francisco?-88cce769.jpg   What to do on a day in San Francisco?-b9c05f86.jpg   What to do on a day in San Francisco?-7e6ac519.jpg   What to do on a day in San Francisco?-8ca99d7f.jpg  

What to do on a day in San Francisco?-mqdefault.jpg   What to do on a day in San Francisco?-usslandsend700.jpg  

Last edited by mr bolo; 02-07-2013 at 10:25 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 11:38 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
Funny that you should mention this because I am, in fact, from Texas (just moved to NYC later in life and live in New England now) We are definitely planning on checking out the Land's End trail. Where is a good spot from which to start the trail?
I already told you in an earlier post.

You can take the 1 to the NE corner of the park where the trail ends in the east, or the 38 to the SW corner by the Sutro Baths. The 38 has three different ending routes so take a look at the bus's sign on the front to see which terminus it is headed for. I think the one you'd want would say 47th Ave.

Personally I would take the N-Judah light rail line to the end of the line, walk north along the beach on Great Highway and past GG Park, then poke around the Sutro Baths ruins, then start the Land's End trail by the parking lot east and up the hill from the baths. At the eastern end of the trail hop on the 1 bus at California and 32nd Ave and ride back east towards downtown. Or walk 2 blocks south and get the 38L since it will be faster since it's an express bus.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM

102,215 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Union Street is a high-end residential area full of colorful shops. Really nice to stroll around, and enjoy the architecture as well as the shops.

The Presidio and the Golden Gate Bridge. The Presidio is a park, and also has offices for enviro organizations that can be interesting to explore. From there, you can walk onto the bridge and get great views and a good blast of fresh, sea air.

Stop into a bookstore and get a book on walking tours of the City, for your next visit. There's a good book that reveals secret stairways and mini-parks all around town.

Have you been to the Museum of Modern Art, below Market Street? How about the Asian Art Museum?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
I've been to Golden Gate Park, Fisherman's Wharf, Coit Tower, Sausalito, Lombard Street -- what other touristy stuff do you recommend I see?
Thee Land's End/Presidio hike sounds lovely, so I think we'll plan on that if the weather cooperates.
Off the Grid food truck events, the ones that happen on Fridays at Fort Mason. There are other days/locations but the Friday one is the best with 30+ food trucks and live music. You can get an idea of the local food truck food scene here. Make sure you try The Chairman truck. Oh, I want to add that the event is seasonal and currently closed but starts up again sometime in March. Check website.

Update: I just saw your comment that you don't like food trucks so scratch what I said above. Here are some other non-food truck ideas:

Sf has good ice cream shops, the best ones include: Bi Rite Creamery, Humphrey Slocombe, Mr & Mrs Miscellaneous

Also good coffee: Four Barrel, Sightglass, Philz, Blue Bottle, Ritual

If you are interested in chocolate at all, Tcho has a retail store and factory on the embarcadero and they offer free tours. You can learn about how chocolate is made form bean to bar and see inside their facility, along with free samples. Reserve spots for tours ahead.

Not sure if you have visited the Ferry Building on the embarcadero yet. That has become a touristy place. They have a great farmers market on Saturdays in the AM and early afternoon. You can roll that into your Tcho factory tour if you decide on that.

Also, the Legion of Honor museum is a beautiful place to visit. Highly rated by tourists.

Last edited by mini_cute; 02-07-2013 at 04:38 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM

102,215 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Sf has good ice cream shops, the best ones include: Bi Rite Creamery, Humphrey Slocombe, Mr & Mrs Miscellaneous.
Cool! Taking notes...

Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 AM

202 posts, read 532,198 times
I'm supposed to fly into JFK on Saturday... I hope our weather here is a little more hospitable to you than yours is being to me!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post
Because you can actually eat outside here during the winter? In shorts....

I said check to see if there's an event not a singular truck. I've been wanting to try the meet ups where you get 5 or 6 different trucks and cuisines. I didn't know the east coast had that during the winter.
I don't care how many food trucks congregate in one spot - I still don't get this food truck thing. Where do you eat? Do you sit on the sidewalk or curb and eat off your paper plate with a plastic fork? The whole thing doesn't seem very sanitary. It's nicer to eat inside a restaurant with tables and chairs with tablecloths, real silverware, etc.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I don't care how many food trucks congregate in one spot - I still don't get this food truck thing. Where do you eat? Do you sit on the sidewalk or curb and eat off your paper plate with a plastic fork? The whole thing doesn't seem very sanitary. It's nicer to eat inside a restaurant with tables and chairs with tablecloths, real silverware, etc.
I totally agree, thats why I never had an interest in food truck dining, where do the servers go to the bathroom? do they have a pee bucket inside the food truck? they never seem to leave, I hope they wash their hands with warm water & soap after handling the money, how is that possible if only one or two people are working? hand sanitizer isnt good enough

other problems at food trucks, flys get on your food, the wind blows your napkins, etc in the wind, rain the hot sun, dirty homeless people asking for money, dirty curb, no rest room to wash hands, etc

Old 02-08-2013, 03:20 PM

202 posts, read 532,198 times
Have you guys never been on a picnic or to BBQ... sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland