U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,218,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Concord is Studio City actually, only classier.
I usually agree with you onn most things, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Studio City is a step up on Concord, a fairly big step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Concord is NOT part of the Central Valley, and it always has been considered a Bay Area Suburb.

But, there are huge similarities.

Weather: It's almost as hot as the Central Valley in the summer, sometimes hotter than Sacramento because it may or may not get cooling from the Suisun Bay-Sacramento Delta. It can get the kind of fog that the Central Valley can get, not often.

Culturally: Suburban attributes. Has alot more good 'ol boys that enjoy hunting, fishing, camping. They tend to travel east to the Mountains than west to the coast. They are the most Un-Bay Area like folks who don't give a damn about what's happening in SF or anywhere in the Bay Area except how the A's are doing.

Politically: Most moderate to conservative part of the Bay Area. Contra Costa County and Sacramento County tend to be very close in voting results.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 AM

25,291 posts, read 33,026,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I usually agree with you onn most things, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Studio City is a step up on Concord, a fairly big step.
Well that was a tongue in cheek post meant for a
Now banned forumer..although Id rather live in Clayton than Studio City by a wide margin.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 AM

12,928 posts, read 11,125,099 times
Quote:
Concord is NOT part of the Central Valley, and it always has been considered a Bay Area Suburb.

But, there are huge similarities.

Weather: It's almost as hot as the Central Valley in the summer, sometimes hotter than Sacramento because it may or may not get cooling from the Suisun Bay-Sacramento Delta. It can get the kind of fog that the Central Valley can get, not often.

Culturally: Suburban attributes. Has alot more good 'ol boys that enjoy hunting, fishing, camping. They tend to travel east to the Mountains than west to the coast. They are the most Un-Bay Area like folks who don't give a damn about what's happening in SF or anywhere in the Bay Area except how the A's are doing.

Politically: Most moderate to conservative part of the Bay Area. Contra Costa County and Sacramento County tend to be very close in voting results.
Contra Costa County hasn't voted Republican since 1984 and is today considered a Democratic stronghold despite the conservative 680 corridor.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
now banned forumer..although Id rather live in Clayton than Studio City by a wide margin.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Contra Costa County hasn't voted Republican since 1984 and is today considered a Democratic stronghold despite the conservative 680 corridor.
My comparison is with the Bay Area and Concord has traditionally been and still is one of the most un-liberal parts of the Bay Area. It also has the largest share of christian-right type of folk and their churches in the Bay Area.

Sacramento City is more liberal than Concord. Davis is way way more liberal than Concord.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM

12,928 posts, read 11,125,099 times
Quote:
My comparison is with the Bay Area and Concord has traditionally been and still is one of the most un-liberal parts of the Bay Area. It also has the largest share of christian-right type of folk and their churches in the Bay Area.

Sacramento City is more liberal than Concord. Davis is way way more liberal than Concord.
Ok, I can agree with that

Old 02-09-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
now banned forumer..although Id rather live in Clayton than Studio City by a wide margin.
I have cousins in Clayton, Concord, Martinez, Antioch, and Danville.(Going on 4 generations). A's fans and Raiders fans for life. They wear cowboy hats a lot. They have never been to Berkeley, ever. San Francisco maybe twice in their lifetimes. They never go to the coast, prefer duck hunting in the Sacramento Valley, and fishing on the Sacramento River and camping in the Sierra's. They hate San Francisco, always have, not sure why. Catholic raised.

They are through and through Bay Area folks. They all work or have worked at Big Bay Area companies: Chevron(refineries, back office, hdrts) Safeway(headqrts), Dreyers(Oakland), Fund Mgrs(Pleasanton). Tough white boys that get in bar fights with hipsters. One made is fortune building custom homes in the hills of the East Bay, retired with a mini-mansion in East Bay Hills.

They are UC grads, Davis and Irvine. Because they are Old-fashion Catholic with blue collar roots, and dogmatic, They have always voted Democratic, but regret it, and complain about it. Other than their illogical voting habits, they are Right Wing Bay Area Red Necks.

These types still exist in the Bay Area.

Last edited by Chimérique; 02-09-2013 at 12:55 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I have cousins in Clayton, Concord, Martinez, Antioch, and Danville.(Going on 4 generations). A's fans and Raiders fans for life. They wear cowboy hats a lot. They have never been to Berkeley, ever. San Francisco maybe twice in their lifetimes. They never go to the coast, prefer duck hunting in the Sacramento Valley, and fishing on the Sacramento River and camping in the Sierra's. They hate San Francisco, always have, not sure why. Catholic raised.

They are through and through Bay Area folks. They all work or have worked at Big Bay Area companies: Chevron(refineries, back office, hdrts) Safeway(headqrts), Dreyers(Oakland), Fund Mgrs(Pleasanton). Tough white boys that get in bar fights with hipsters. One made is fortune building custom homes in the hills of the East Bay, retired with a mini-mansion in East Bay Hills.

They are UC grads, Davis and Irvine. Because they are Old-fashion Catholic with blue collar roots, and dogmatic, They have always voted Democratic, but regret it, and complain about it. Other than their illogical voting habits, they are Right Wing Bay Area Red Necks.

These types still exist in the Bay Area.
I dont think this is a matter of cultural likeness because as you stated, we have every kind of person, but about physical location and in that sense, Concord is mos def Bay Area..

Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM

1,015 posts, read 734,592 times
If you go over the set of hills east/northeast of Concord, you get to the Antioch/Brentwood/Oakley area, eastern Contra Costa County. While it's not the Central Valley, that area seems much more like it. Eastern Contra Costa is more economically depessed that Concord's Central County area. Like the Central Valley, East County has suffered a catastrophic fall in housing prices. You get to a point where you're as close to Stockton as San Francisco. There's even a bit of agriculture still out there.

I'd probably compare Concord to someplace in Ventura County, but I'm not sure which city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland