U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,816,094 times

Advertisements

I've always thought Concord had the feel of the SFV too, not the Central Valley, as far as architecture, city layout, freeways, topography and landscape, climate, etc. In the summer, it definitely feel like you're nudging the central valley when you see those hot, barren hills and you know it's not much farther. Culturally, I suppose the central valley isn't that different from Concord or many other places, as they are all very middle America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 PM

34 posts, read 8,199 times
Concord has many "feels" about it.

Sometimes it feels like Walnut Creek. Concord shares a border with Walnut Creek. Concord is a fairly large suburb city. They have a Fry's, a Waterworld, an indoor mall, a Ranch 99, a Costco, and a huge post office that is almost as large as the main one in Oakland. There are poor depressed parts that border Baypoint/Pittsburg and there are parts that are indistinguishable from Walnut Creek and even share some Walnut Creek schools such as Valle Verde Elementary which has an API score of 940. Have you heard of Mark Spitz, olympic swimmer, gold winner? He grew up in the Concord/Walnut creek border area near Valle Verde Elementary.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 PM

10,406 posts, read 13,949,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I have cousins in Clayton, Concord, Martinez, Antioch, and Danville.(Going on 4 generations). A's fans and Raiders fans for life. They wear cowboy hats a lot. They have never been to Berkeley, ever. San Francisco maybe twice in their lifetimes. They never go to the coast, prefer duck hunting in the Sacramento Valley, and fishing on the Sacramento River and camping in the Sierra's. They hate San Francisco, always have, not sure why. Catholic raised.

They are through and through Bay Area folks. They all work or have worked at Big Bay Area companies: Chevron(refineries, back office, hdrts) Safeway(headqrts), Dreyers(Oakland), Fund Mgrs(Pleasanton). Tough white boys that get in bar fights with hipsters. One made is fortune building custom homes in the hills of the East Bay, retired with a mini-mansion in East Bay Hills.

They are UC grads, Davis and Irvine. Because they are Old-fashion Catholic with blue collar roots, and dogmatic, They have always voted Democratic, but regret it, and complain about it. Other than their illogical voting habits, they are Right Wing Bay Area Red Necks.

These types still exist in the Bay Area.
so basically you're generalizing Concord based solely on your relatives? Because you are pretty off overall. Concord is too diverse to fit some tired redneck stereotype.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 PM

1,986 posts, read 1,222,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
so basically you're generalizing Concord based solely on your relatives? Because you are pretty off overall. Concord is too diverse to fit some tired redneck stereotype.
I haven't drawn any conclusions, you have. I'm not off about about anything. I just stated facts about some of my cousins and SOME of their offspring that goes back several generations. Besides the "Bay Area Redneck" description is a tongue and check comment that they call themselves. They aren't sensitive about being "rednecks" so I don't know why you would be. They are proud of who they are. Just because they prefer duck hunting in the Sacramento Valley, fishing on the Sacramento or camping in the Sierra's as opposed to going to some art gallery or sipping wine, doesn't make them "rednecks", they just like calling themselves that. They have nice big homes in some really nice areas across the East Bay with deep roots in the Bay Area.

I have other relatives and friends in the Bay Area, that don't fit this "stereotype". It just so happens that the ones who like to call themselves "rednecks" live in Concord.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 AM

12,928 posts, read 11,137,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510bessy View Post
The racist redneck stereotype of Concord is gone. Today it's made up of mostly hispanics, fillipinos (they even have a mini-fimilipino mall called Seafood City complete with a Jollybees), middleeasterners, Koreans, and other asians.
THAT"S where a Seafood City is. I've been looking for one of those since leaving SD

Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I haven't drawn any conclusions, you have.
Umm clearly you have:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28164683-post42.html

Quote:
I'm not off about about anything.
Actually I would say you quite are with your generalizing that seems to come off from quite a small sample.

Quote:
Culturally: Suburban attributes. Has alot more good 'ol boys that enjoy hunting, fishing, camping. They tend to travel east to the Mountains than west to the coast. They are the most Un-Bay Area like folks who don't give a damn about what's happening in SF or anywhere in the Bay Area except how the A's are doing.
This sounds like your relatives, not people in Concord in general. I know plenty of people in Concord not like this. Plenty of Giants fans too, quite possibly more than A's.

Quote:
Politically: Most moderate to conservative part of the Bay Area. Contra Costa County and Sacramento County tend to be very close in voting results.
Again, that is not true. 680 from Danville south to the Pleasanton-Livermore area fit that description better than Concord.

Quote:
I just stated facts about some of my cousins and SOME of their offspring that goes back several generations. Besides the "Bay Area Redneck" description is a tongue and check comment that they call themselves. They aren't sensitive about being "rednecks" so I don't know why you would be.
Then you also applied these characteristics to Concord in general. I'm not sensitive about you referring to your relatives or people in Concord as rednecks, I just don't think that is a very accurate generalization you threw out there at all.
Quote:
They are proud of who they are. Just because they prefer duck hunting in the Sacramento Valley, fishing on the Sacramento or camping in the Sierra's as opposed to going to some art gallery or sipping wine, doesn't make them "rednecks", they just like calling themselves that. They have nice big homes in some really nice areas across the East Bay with deep roots in the Bay Area.

I have other relatives and friends in the Bay Area, that don't fit this "stereotype". It just so happens that the ones who like to call themselves "rednecks" live in Concord
. Good for them but you've clearly drawn conclusion about Concord based on your "redneck" relatives, depsite claiming not to have, and I think your generalizations are pretty off and might have been more applicable 20-30 years ago. Go spend some time at Seafood City, Ranch 99, or even the Sunvalley Mall. No very redneck at all but solid Bay Area middle class.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Umm clearly you have:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28164683-post42.html

Actually I would say you quite are with your generalizing that seems to come off from quite a small sample.

This sounds like your relatives, not people in Concord in general. I know plenty of people in Concord not like this. Plenty of Giants fans too, quite possibly more than A's.

Again, that is not true. 680 from Danville south to the Pleasanton-Livermore area fit that description better than Concord.

Then you also applied these characteristics to Concord in general. I'm not sensitive about you referring to your relatives or people in Concord as rednecks, I just don't think that is a very accurate generalization you threw out there at all.
. Good for them but you've clearly drawn conclusion about Concord based on your "redneck" relatives, depsite claiming not to have, and I think your generalizations are pretty off and might have been more applicable 20-30 years ago. Go spend some time at Seafood City, Ranch 99, or even the Sunvalley Mall. No very redneck at all but solid Bay Area middle class.
All I said is that "folks like my relatives", (self described - Bay Area Rednecks) still live in the Bay Area. The implication being that there aren't that many folk like that anymore. You drew the conclusion that I was I trying to paint this picture that all of Concord is like that - it certainly was for a long time.

Clearly, you have a "problem" with the word "redneck" that you get all bent out of shape. How many times do I have to state that "Bay Area Redneck" is a term they use on themselves. It's a tongue and cheek term that they don't take so seriously. Redneck, in this case has nothing to do with economic status. These self-described "Bay Area Rednecks" are upper middle class to down right wealthy people today.

The patriarch/matriarchs of this white Portuguese-English huge working class catholic family started their Bay Area roots in Concord and Martinez. A Huge family that has since spread throughout the east bay over 75 years, the really rich ones have homes all across the East Bay in Orinda, Danville, Livermore. The ones that call themselves "rednecks" still live in Martinez and Concord, the nice parts. They have always been A's and Raiders fans down to the latest 4th generation grand kids. I didn't say anything about Giants fans.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Clearly, you have a "problem" with the word "redneck" that you get all bent out of shape. How many times do I have to state that "Bay Area Redneck" is a term they use on themselves. It's a tongue and cheek term that they don't take so seriously. Redneck, in this case has nothing to do with economic status. These self-described "Bay Area Rednecks" are upper middle class to down right wealthy people today.
For the THIRD time I simply disagreed with you characterizing Concord as "redneck" based on your redneck relatives, understand yet? That's a pretty small sample size imo. I'm not sure why my disagreeing with your generalization of Concord got you in such a defensive fit.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
For the THIRD time I simply disagreed with you characterizing Concord as "redneck" based on your redneck relatives, understand yet? That's a pretty small sample size imo. I'm not sure why my disagreeing with your generalization of Concord got you in such a defensive fit.
You just can't stop can you. I never ever said Concord was "redneck", you drew your own conclusions, comprenez-vous, encore? I've never been defensive, just stating facts about my self-described "Bay Area Redneck" relatives. Your suppositions and responses are defensive. Let it rest.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 PM

1,878 posts, read 1,200,006 times
The Central Valley is not a social or cultural construct, but a valley, which is an area of low flat land bounded by mountains. Since the eastern line of the inner coast ranges runs well to the east of Concord, it is not in the Central Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland