U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 AM
 
24 posts, read 28,235 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You say you live on the east side of the tunnel. Aren't most if not all of the schools in Lamorinda pretty highly rated? Why would you spend more $ on a private school?
We are not in Lamorinda. Currently we live in Walnut Creek with decent schools, but going to buy house in Concord where schools are way worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
32,800 posts, read 18,697,876 times
Reputation: 22813
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuryM View Post
I live on the "other" side of the Berkeley hills. Do you think it is worth to bring kids so far? Well, my question is rather about a price, I just need to be aware of possible costs, how much per month for this Bentley School for instance? Thanks
Yury, don't you think it might be worth it to pay a little more for a house to be in, say, Walnut Creek, and be able to send your kids to public school, than pay a lot of annual tuition to a private school, and live farther out? I guess you've considered the economics of this...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Pleasanton Ca
834 posts, read 1,233,943 times
Reputation: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuryM View Post
We are not in Lamorinda. Currently we live in Walnut Creek with decent schools, but going to buy house in Concord where schools are way worse.

I see your point. Concord is a good deal for a house now, but the schools aren't great. If you are going to fork out 15K a year or more for a private school ( don't forget many expect you to donate more) wouldn't that cover a bigger mortgage one of the other Tri Valley areas or stay in Walnut Creek? Not to mention buying in a better area is a better quality of life usually and probably better appreciation.

If you have more than one kid it makes even more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
 
175 posts, read 343,907 times
Reputation: 127
Definitely something to consider as buying a home & sending children to private school are huge financial decisions. Especially if you have or are planning to have more than 1 child attend K-12 private schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yury, don't you think it might be worth it to pay a little more for a house to be in, say, Walnut Creek, and be able to send your kids to public school, than pay a lot of annual tuition to a private school, and live farther out? I guess you've considered the economics of this...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
 
24 posts, read 28,235 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yury, don't you think it might be worth it to pay a little more for a house to be in, say, Walnut Creek, and be able to send your kids to public school, than pay a lot of annual tuition to a private school, and live farther out? I guess you've considered the economics of this...?
It might be worth to live in good schools area, I am not sure yet, that is why I asked this question, I need to estimate home price difference for type of property I wish to buy, and match the difference to private school education costs. The education cost seems to be 20K a year * 12 years of education for our single kid = $240K, though need to note is you do not pay taxes, PMI and interest, from other side tutition costs tend to rise in the US, so it is always tradeoff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 02:58 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
32,800 posts, read 18,697,876 times
Reputation: 22813
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuryM View Post
It might be worth to live in good schools area, I am not sure yet, that is why I asked this question, I need to estimate home price difference for type of property I wish to buy, and match the difference to private school education costs. The education cost seems to be 20K a year * 12 years of education for our single kid = $240K, though need to note is you do not pay taxes, PMI and interest, from other side tutition costs tend to rise in the US, so it is always tradeoff
Yes, I was coming up with a figure of approx. $25,000/yr. for private school on the quick research I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Danville, CA
4 posts, read 4,068 times
Reputation: 16
There is also the issue of the public school "way of thinking". They're mostly to the left on most issues, and as an independent, that worries me. Especially later, but it seems to start earlier than I would expectmod cut.

mod cutdon't expect much critical thinking in the public schools, it's more likely to form more "occupy protesters" than a new generation of skeptical engineers and scientists, if you ask me.

So you pretty much set yourself up for reviewing more of what you're kids are exposed to when you go public. I'm considering going to a private school in the middle school, but we'll see.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-09-2013 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: off topic - environmental or educational issues need to go in another forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 PM
 
10 posts, read 18,655 times
Reputation: 14
I looked at private school tuition for elementary about 2 years ago. Much like people have said, Catholic school tuition runs about 7-10K while other private schools go as high as 25-30k. I only looked around Dublin, Pleasanton, San Ramon, Danville so not sure about Concord but they would be pretty much similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 02:08 PM
 
224 posts, read 219,215 times
Reputation: 173
I think it would be far smarter to find a home within Lamorinda (or another area with highly ranked schools) and send your kids to public schools rather than buy in Concord and know that you have private school tuition hanging over your head for years to come. Private school tuition is going to run you approx. $25-30K PER YEAR and if you're starting in elementary school that's a LOT of money you're forking over (with no appreciation possible like you could have in real estate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 PM
 
1,821 posts, read 1,159,671 times
Reputation: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
There is also the issue of the public school "way of thinking". They're mostly to the left on most issues, and as an independent, that worries me. Especially later, but it seems to start earlier than I would expectmod cut.

mod cutdon't expect much critical thinking in the public schools, it's more likely to form more "occupy protesters" than a new generation of skeptical engineers and scientists, if you ask me.

So you pretty much set yourself up for reviewing more of what you're kids are exposed to when you go public. I'm considering going to a private school in the middle school, but we'll see.
I am the product of a private school education and thought the quality was superb, but what makes you think that private school teachers are not overwhelmingly leftists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:36 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top