Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 61,073 times

Advertisements

Former midwesterns, and San Franciscians, people throw the word,culture shock to me in cincinnati, ohio, sometimes i'm not sure if they say it to sway me from leaving, or whatever. Am a progressive, liberal 21 year old male,never been to San Francisco, can someone tell mewhat
the culture is like? I went to chi-town and that didn't do it for me, is it hard to assimilate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 03:59 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,324,887 times
At 21, you should be able to assimilate anywhere.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:19 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,807,958 times
I agree, as long as you welcome new sights & experiences. I had a bit of "reverse culture-shock" when I went to college in Oregon, but adjusted rather quickly... it just weirded me out how small-town friendly everyone was, the slow & polite way they drove, lack of certain amenities/activities, lack of diversity, and so forth. But I found my way rather quickly, and actually miss that place sometimes.

Anyway, it's hard to summarize the culture of San Francisco, but it is somewhat how people imagine - overall we're very liberal, diverse, fast-paced, and yet laid-back in our general state of mind. For example - don't be surprised if you're held up because a war protest closed Market St., and the fact that nobody gawks at or harasses a 6-ft. man in a sequined skirt & "Marilyn Monroe" wig (I actually saw a guy wearing that exact outfit recently, LOL). Not to say those things happen every day, but they're hardly a shocker to real San Franciscans. I don't think "assimilating" will be too difficult, as long as you come with an open mind! There are places and friends for ALL types of people, so you'll probably find something you like here. What kind of stuff (hobbies, work, social life, etc.) are you into?

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-21-2007 at 11:31 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 61,073 times
Default yo gizmo!

Well gizmo, am into soccer, like to be in diversity organization, and program dealing with helping (lack of wealth or simple basic needs)people, and the bettering world, as cliche as it sounds. i like to party too, but in cincinnati being a black male dancing looks weird to the homogenoues *(mostly white) people here. so far i think i mite assimilate, thanx to comments, but am still worried a little about being a black straight male, that just wants to be himself, i just hope to not get stares and etc.., i'm a pretty chill fellow. oh yeah gizmo i saw SF was rank 14th out of like 30 in being friendly, is it hard to make friends?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,807,958 times
Nah, you won't get stares! My (non-biological) brother is Black, and he actually lived in Cleveland for the first 13 years of his life... he LOVES San Francisco, and is planning to move back here in the near future (he's living in London for work now). He's a gay man, but it's not like you can tell at first glance with him. Of course there are racists everywhere, but for the most part we mind our own business, and don't take notice of what race people are. You should be just fine! Oh, and there are lots of activities here that will fit your needs, especially for the altruistic side of you.

P.S. If it helps prove my point any, most of my relationships have been interracial... and I've NEVER felt stares or negativity, when being "around town" with my exes. Now when I lived in Central California, it was a different story, but still not too bad compared to some places (I'd imagine).

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-23-2007 at 03:07 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 PM

605 posts, read 862,082 times
Nor Cal is very laid back, You'd get more stares in So Cal., or....unless you go to Mill Valley.....

Old 10-24-2007, 10:20 AM

495 posts, read 1,828,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Anyway, it's hard to summarize the culture of San Francisco, but it is somewhat how people imagine - overall we're very liberal, diverse, fast-paced, and yet laid-back in our general state of mind. For example - don't be surprised if you're held up because a war protest closed Market St., and the fact that nobody gawks at or harasses a 6-ft. man in a sequined skirt & "Marilyn Monroe" wig (I actually saw a guy wearing that exact outfit recently, LOL). Not to say those things happen every day, but they're hardly a shocker to real San Franciscans. ?
You're so right on about this. Not too much shocks me anymore in life in general and I attribute this to being raised in San Francisco. When my family moved here from the east coast when I was a kid we were in awe and yeah had our mouths hanging open sometimes. But now? It would take a lot to shock me. You will see all kinds of scenarios in SF and most people don't even notice. I think this is what's great about the city. And regarding the man in the sequined skirt I've seen him! And I've seen superman too, a few months ago and it wasn't a halloween costume, oh know he definately thought he was superman and everyone around him was cool with it.

To the original poster, I don't want to paint SF as too extreme or just full of crazy people, because really it isn't (to me anyway), but you definately have to be open minded to live here. And it sounds based on how you described yourself, you're an open minded young person who's ready to explore. It would be a good place for you to do this.

Side note: There are a lot of homeless people, the streets downtown and in some neighborhoods aren't as clean as they used to be, and the cost of living is high. There certainly are some other negatives but I believe the positives balance out the city very well. It was no longer right for me based on lifestyle changes and I've recently moved, but I loved living there, especially in my 20's.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 13,455 times
When I moved to Canada, I was 13 yr old. The only thing I was concerned about was racism. I haven't been discriminated against (not that I am aware of at least) in the past 13 years. Minoirities are different and therefore they get looked at, doesn't mean the looker is in bad faith.
Some races are not used to interracting with other races. They are still harmless people.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:00 PM

96 posts, read 308,949 times
I'd say go for it. My wife and I moved here from Cincinnati recently and absolutely love it. Whatever your interests, lifestyle, etc, you can find it here.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 PM

790 posts, read 4,014,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2007 View Post
Former midwesterns, and San Franciscians, people throw the word,culture shock to me in cincinnati, ohio, sometimes i'm not sure if they say it to sway me from leaving, or whatever. Am a progressive, liberal 21 year old male,never been to San Francisco, can someone tell mewhat
the culture is like? I went to chi-town and that didn't do it for me, is it hard to assimilate?
If you're concerned about culture shock and assimilation at age 21, i'd say, hurry up and get out here lest you atrophy! You're too young to get stuck and California, (especially San Francisco!) is a great place to assure that you will spread your wings and find your truth/freedom.
If you're a freedom lover then come on out to the bay area.
And if it's too much freedom for you, rest assured that there are plenty "normal" folks doing the "normal" thing that everyone is doing everywhere in the country .... and you can blend right in. No problem.
You don't need to assimilate, you need to be yourself and San Francisco (or where i am - Santa Cruz) are good places that allow that without any hassle.
San Francisco is a beautiful city and situated, in my opinion, in the best part of the state with access to the best of California.
If you're drawn to California, face your fear (it's natural) but don't let it stop you.
It is different but that difference will encourage you to grow and evolve.
And, in my opinion, that's a very important thing.
Just come out and be open and flexible and you'll find your way.
You're so young and it's a great thing to be able to strike out on your own and find a new way of life at that age. It can get much more difficult as you get older.
And if you ever feel strange out here or out of place (which is not a given) then just go to the beach and hang out with the ocean and you'll be fine.
Happy Trails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland