U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2013, 05:19 PM

15 posts, read 2,696 times
Default Where is the Best BBQ in Oakland?

It's been a while since I've had some good Que, what would you say is the best spot in Oakland? I already know most places are located in war zones, I'll just take my tank. Flints was good in the early 90s is it still around?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,001,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine City View Post
It's been a while since I've had some good Que, what would you say is the best spot in Oakland? I already know most places are located in war zones, I'll just take my tank. Flints was good in the early 90s is it still around?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:31 PM

15,520 posts, read 9,592,726 times
I liked B-side BBQ. Pretty much the only place I have found in CA that acknowledges that Pulled Pork doesn't always come with typical tomato based BBQ sauce. I didn't have that until I had BBQ in CA. BBQ in the Carolinas is made with tons of vinegar. Yum!

But I am sure that is way too scary for you, considering it is at the edge of Emeryville. I'd rather keep it to myself.

There are a million definitions of BBQ, so you need to get more specific.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 PM

I'm into mustard sauces and smoke. I like smoke flavor I went to Brick Pig and they have no smokey flavor. I like real smoked meats, tasty. Sauces should be mustardy/vinigardy. Dry rub Que is good too. No sauce needed.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,976 posts, read 3,685,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine City View Post
I'm into mustard sauces and smoke. I like smoke flavor I went to Brick Pig and they have no smokey flavor. I like real smoked meats, tasty. Sauces should be mustardy/vinigardy. Dry rub Que is good too. No sauce needed.
The best BBQ I have found in the entire Bay Area was at the Whole Foods in Cupertino. They have a smoker and slow cook the BBQ. The only thing is that it is not the best BBQ I have ever had...just the best BBQ I could find in the Bay Area. I've tried many places during my 3 years here. I gave up after a long extensive search and many suggestions.

I go back home on the holidays to get my real BBQ fix.

The Cupertino Whole Foods is the only store location with a smoker. They will also smoke whatever you want. You just call them up put in your order and they will make it for you.

Most of the Whole Foods in Houston and Austin have smokers and they make the best TX BBQ you will ever get your hands on! Too bad they have not taught the Cupertino location to make it like the Whole Foods HQ in Austin makes it...YUMMY!!!!

They have a limited daily BBQ selection that they make daily and it changes from day to day. But it is the best I have found here in the Bay Area hands down.

And this comes from a Texan who knows what good BBQ is

Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM

12,702 posts, read 14,014,424 times
We used to go to Flints often back in the 1980s, and get a mess of BBQ to take back to work.
My office was on 11th Street near Chinatown. I heard that a few years ago the patriarch died, and with him their sauce recipe was lost forever, he'd never shared it with anyone.
As hard as they tried they couldn't come up with a substitute and business dropped off and finally they closed up all their stores. Everett & Jones was always 2nd best, don't know if they are still in business or not. A relative still in the area tells me the Brick Pig on Shattuck in the Rockridge area is good.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 PM

62 posts, read 40,005 times
KC's BBQ in Berkeley.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,976 posts, read 3,685,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex N Cal View Post
KC's BBQ in Berkeley.
Please tell me this is the same slow smoked BBQ we can find in H-Town ?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM

6,558 posts, read 15,674,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
The best BBQ I have found in the entire Bay Area was at the Whole Foods in Cupertino. They have a smoker and slow cook the BBQ. The only thing is that it is not the best BBQ I have ever had...just the best BBQ I could find in the Bay Area. I've tried many places during my 3 years here. I gave up after a long extensive search and many suggestions.

I go back home on the holidays to get my real BBQ fix.

The Cupertino Whole Foods is the only store location with a smoker. They will also smoke whatever you want. You just call them up put in your order and they will make it for you.

Most of the Whole Foods in Houston and Austin have smokers and they make the best TX BBQ you will ever get your hands on! Too bad they have not taught the Cupertino location to make it like the Whole Foods HQ in Austin makes it...YUMMY!!!!

They have a limited daily BBQ selection that they make daily and it changes from day to day. But it is the best I have found here in the Bay Area hands down.

And this comes from a Texan who knows what good BBQ is
There are two other places I've seen with smokers. One was Trail Dust in downtown Morgan Hill, and the other was the Texas Smokehouse at Capitol and Story in San Jose. You drive by any time of the day or night and you see the smoke drifting.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM

I'll try some of those thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland