U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 PM

32,309 posts, read 18,333,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ah good info Jade. Sheds some light on it. The border Oakland has with Berkeley ( and to a lesser extent Berkeley's with Co Co County) are bizarre due to strange laws or desires of people back in the day.
Aha. This would explain a few things. It would be interesting to dig up that history.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 PM

1,015 posts, read 715,960 times
A few years ago, a jurisdictional game was played at the Claremont. The Hotel wanted a traffic light on Tunnel Rd. to make it easier for drivers to turn into their property. The City of Berkeley was reluctant to do it, and of course the affluent nearby neighbors in the had all sorts of reasons why it would mean the end of Western civilization. The Hotel managed to figure out a place they could install the traffic light and driveway that was in Oakland, that Berkeley couldn't veto (Caltrans had to sign off on this as well, since Tunnel Rd. is state highway 13 through there). So the light went in.

Functionally, the Claremont has always felt like part of Berkeley to me, with a Berkeley commercial district adjacent to it, but jurisdictionally it's split.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 AM

14,036 posts, read 25,855,451 times
For years the Claremont Hotel advertised as the "East Bay's Premier Resort" truth in advertising.

Another example is the city of Piedmont is 100% inside the city of Oakland.

Or Sheffield Village which is 100% Oakland... yet the residents can use San Leandro Libraries.

A friend had a business address in Oakland... Oakland and San Leandro did a realignment and he was now in San Leandro...

Old 02-11-2013, 01:40 AM

12,757 posts, read 10,798,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
For years the Claremont Hotel advertised as the "East Bay's Premier Resort" truth in advertising.

Another example is the city of Piedmont is 100% inside the city of Oakland.

Or Sheffield Village which is 100% Oakland... yet the residents can use San Leandro Libraries.

A friend had a business address in Oakland... Oakland and San Leandro did a realignment and he was now in San Leandro...
Let me clear that up; Piedmont is technically surrounded by Oakland Not "inside" it. Laurel is inside. Piedmont is surrounded but separate.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 AM

14,036 posts, read 25,855,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Let me clear that up; Piedmont is technically surrounded by Oakland Not "inside" it. Laurel is inside. Piedmont is surrounded but separate.
Saying Piedmont is surrounded makes it sound like a fortress with the peasants ready to storm the walls

Or... it could be like the embassies in San Francisco... they are technically not part of SF just surrounded be SF...

Or... I will just capitulate

Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Saying Piedmont is surrounded makes it sound like a fortress with the peasants ready to storm the walls

Or... it could be like the embassies in San Francisco... they are technically not part of SF just surrounded be SF...

Or... I will just capitulate
There you go

Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Aha. This would explain a few things. It would be interesting to dig up that history.
I'll have to try and look that up as I've forgotten most of it. This is an Oakland thread but to understand Oakland completely, one must also know how Oakland has impacted it's neighbors. There are numerous examples of properties straddling the line between Oakland and Berkeley from the Claremont Resort, to the McDonald's on San Pablo near 66th or whatever. The restaurant and south parking lot are in Oakland but the north lot and most of the drive thru are in Berkeley. Many of the residents in the border region wanted to be in one or the other so the city limit was often drawn to try to please everyone. Drive along Alcatraz ave. and the city limit will change 3 or 4 times.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,494,213 times
I love Oakland. I prefer it way more than SF, perhaps because its not as "Hip-n-cool" as SF, nor is it so completely gentrified and hoity-toity. I also firmly believe that at this point Oakland hands-down has the best food and the best microbrew bar scene in the Bay Area. I'm guessing its going to get more overflow from SF as it becomes more and more expensive. What that will do to the character to Oakland I dunno. But as of now I enjoy taking weekend day trips to Oakland.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,775,477 times
Oakland, California's Best Hot Spots

mod cut

A thriving restaurant scene has put this East Bay city back on the traveler’s map. Here, the best places to eat, plus what to see and do right now.

It may not have the skyline of San Francisco or the culinary pedigree of Berkeley (yet), but this former industrial powerhouse is forging a new, edgier identity thanks to emerging neighborhoods, a buzzing nightlife, and a renovated waterfront that promises to become one of the most ambitious gastro-destinations in the country. In fact, if you judge a city’s appeal by its restaurants, Oakland just made the big leagues...Now sophisticates are making the pilgrimage across the bay to eat and explore.
Oakland California's Best Hot Spots - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-11-2013 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Copyright problems

Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,775,477 times
Oakland - America's 50 Best Cities: The Best Places to Live

Quote:
September 28, 2012
Bloomberg Businessweek

mod cutOakland, California
Population: 401,036

Oakland may be San Francisco’s rougher, smaller next-door neighbor. But it’s a great place to live in its own right, even if you can’t afford a unit in the stunning Cathedral Building. Oakland’s expanding restaurant scene has brought it some buzz. Residents embrace a grittier background than their Bay Area neighbors, as reflected by fans of the Raiders football team, known simply as “Raider Nation.”

Bars: 67
Restaurants: 894
Museums: 14
Libraries: 27
Pro sports teams: 3
Park acres per 1,000 residents: 13
Colleges: 7
Percent with graduate degree: 11.2
Median household income: $59,097
Percent unemployed: 9.5
America's 50 Best Cities - The Best Places to Live - Businessweek

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-11-2013 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Please post snippets and a link - full texts pose copyright problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland