U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM

3,470 posts, read 5,649,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareaadvisor View Post
San Franciscans are constantly unhappy.

The rent is too high so whatever leftover $ they have they have to spend it on the high retail prices. The buses are always late. You can't even board a bus on the #19 going to SFSU because they are jammed packed like sardines and the bus doesn't even stop. You drive and circle around the block 6 times and still cant find a parking space after 20 mins in thick traffic. IF you do find a space, you have to wait in line again at the restaurant and must stand up in the cold entrance waiting for them to call you after 30 mins just so u can eat. Nobody ever fixes the 100s of potholes in SF and now your suspension needs a $300 fix. All the transients come from Peoria, settle down in Haight, pierce their nose, genitals, eyelids, and protest anything and everything.
I disagree with you about high retail prices. I generally find the essentials, whether clothes or groceries, to be no more than 10% expensive than they were back in the Southeast where I grew up.

Buses are usually late, in my experience. Agreed. However, BART is sometimes a couple of minutes early!

MUNI is dirty and inefficiently operated. BART is generally fine and I like the system; it's outdated, but the system is slowly trying to change that, but then the service is pretty limited.

Parking is a b*tch, which is why you WANT and NEED to take public transit. But, wait...MUNI is dirty and inefficiently operated. I sometimes take MUNI anyway and just suck it up, but I often am willing to walk if it's not anymore than 2-3 miles! Yes, the cold can suck in SF, but as long as you're wearing more than a t-shirt, it's also not like you're in Alaska.

The potholes surprise me. I would expect them in Chicago and New York, but the general road quality in SF leaves a lot to be desired.

I won't get into the transients; I don't care how they look as long as they're just nice and cool.

I guess it's just a shame that so many SF denizens are unhappy. I mean, they WANT to live there, don't they? Or maybe many of them brought their grumpy Boston/NYC/DC/New England attitudes with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM

5,097 posts, read 3,313,253 times
Of course the recent survey doesn't mention how many people were polled or anything about them. Just another useless filler article.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Of course the recent survey doesn't mention how many people were polled or anything about them. Just another useless filler article.
...or how much the magazine/surveyers was/were/could have been paid. (Now I'm just pretentious. When in Rome...)

Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 AM

12,946 posts, read 11,196,133 times
This thread interest me for a few reasons; the first is SF is curiously the only North American city on that list. Another thing I find fascinating is the willingness to compare it to New York when it's something negative. Generally, most will quickly point out how it's in no way like NYC. I find that interesting.

Now having done my part as devils advocate, do I agree that SF is a happy place? No! For starters just take a Muni Bus in SF then go to Oakland and take AC Transit. The difference in the way people behave both while at the bus stop and especially while boarding is like being on two different planets! In Oakland, complete strangers will smile and say hello to you. In SF complete strangers will walk right into you if you're in their way. People are similarly more polite and seem happier in the south bay as well. Makes me wonder if this pool said San Francisco but polled people from nearby areas.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:59 AM

562 posts, read 468,447 times
Quote:
This.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 PM

562 posts, read 468,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
...or how much the magazine/surveyers was/were/could have been paid. (Now I'm just pretentious. When in Rome...)
And that.

These surveys/polls are hogwash...all of 'em.

Happiest people, healthiest people, holiest people, hungriest people.

Blah, blah, blah.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
And that.

Blah, blah, blah.
In 2011, I believe, Travel & Leisure magazine ranked L.A. as being the nation's rudest city. The following year, the title went back to New York. Yet, you'll meet people who have had good or bad experiences with the people in these cities.

One word: subjectivity. Not to negate anyone's experiences or rational opinions, but some cities are just better fit for others. My experience is different from your experience and those of others.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-10-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 PM

34 posts, read 8,361 times
Quote:
True. Just another PAID "plug" for SF so that tourists keep coming in and leaving their $$ in SF.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:41 PM

7,817 posts, read 4,557,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
And that.

Blah, blah, blah.
Bingo...

In the twenty-first century, one would have thought that we could evolve past being fed these kinds of pointless generalizations.

How are you going to make sure subjective, minute yet broad-scale differentiations between groups of diverse people sizing into the millions? It makes no sense at all. For every person who thinks people here are one way, someone else thinks they are another. And based on the circumstances of their experience and mentality, they are both "right."

Old 02-10-2013, 01:03 PM

622 posts, read 437,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The truth is that you can't determine your experience based on generalizations of millions of people. If you're the kind of person who is sour and unhappy, then you will continue to be that way regardless of where you move; San Francisco has nothing to do with it.
*bam*

Thank you.

I'm incredibly happy here. That's why I moved back when I lived in NYC which I also liked, but didn't want to live there for years. I actually tried out Berkeley for a year. I like it there too, but there is something about the city that I love. I picked up, left Berkeley, and moved back 6 weeks ago.

The city has it's annoying traits. Last night I was on the N hoping I'd make the transfer to the bus that gets me home. Nope. The bus went through the intersection, dropped folks off and rolled away as a couple of us were stuck waiting for the light. <sigh> I took a cab home from there because NextBus.com said I had a 40 minute wait and, screw that, it was really too cold to be stuck standing at a stop for 40 minutes. However, that morning, I made the bad error of stopping for coffee when the L train was two minutes away. Guess who had to make a break for the train after the driver had closed the doors? I was lucky because she saw me and let me on. When I lived in the east bay some AC transit drivers would see you running, look dead at you, shut the door, and drive off. It's a crap shoot. In fact, the 51B that starts at Rockridge station is notorious for pulling off just a minute after the BART train arrives. Unless you make sure you're in a car where you can run out fast, swipe your Clipper card and get down those stairs, you're stuck waiting for the next one because that bus is leaving. That's not all the time, but I got to be an expert at timing my BART arrivals to bus departures the year I lived there.

No one sane can deny that there is a big homeless problem here. I was at Montgomery Station yesterday morning in en route to SoMa. In the station there was a cop making a homeless guy take his clothes down off of the Muni railing in the station. I guess the cop had said something like "this isn't a laundrymat" to which I heard the homeless man say "there should be a laundry for us" or something like that. I chuckled to myself (because, well, the homeless problem is so big here that maybe that would help then again maybe not.) As I was going up to Market and 2nd, the smell of urine was in the air too. Ahhhhhhhh, San Francisco, but if you're homeless and living on the street and you've gotta go, well, you go. Plus, when I lived in Berkeley I rode my bike home once to see a homeless man doing his business in the bushes in front of my neighbor's house and this was the nice Elmwood area. Both San Francisco and Berkeley have active homeless populations for a variety of reasons.

This comes up all the time and, yes, the cost of living here is crazy. A similar bubble formed when I was here as a law student. Tech got hot, people got rich, and real estate got expensive. It's the same thing now and I do hope for some sort of a solution to that.

However, overall, I've always loved living in San Francisco. It's got great shopping and food. It's got tons of things to do from the arts to nature. Proximity-wise you can go surfing one day and the next be in Tahoe. There are great places to hike in the city, in Marin and in the East Bay. It works for me. I'm happy here but I'm not silly enough to claim it's perfect or that other cities don't have better attributes in some ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland