U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 PM

6,274 posts, read 4,826,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The truth is that you can't determine your experience based on generalizations of millions of people. If you're the kind of person who is sour and unhappy, then you will continue to be that way regardless of where you move; San Francisco has nothing to do with it.
BIG

I've lived in 8 cities (longer than 1 year) and have met great people in each of them. If you are bitter, sour, unhappy, rude, uptight etc people can see that and will give it to you right back. If you are proactive, happy, warm, outgoing etc you'll find plenty of friendly people no matter where you live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 PM

354 posts, read 225,281 times
My favorite one of these surveys ranked Washington, DC as one of the healthiest cities in America primarily because it had a large number of Doctors living there. The criteria used in many of these hack stories is laughable.

The discouraging News is that the U.S. always lags far behind many countries in overall happiness.

So it really is true, 7000 square foot houses and $900/month car payments aren't the keys to happiness.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 12 days ago)

48,937 posts, read 40,328,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
From the standpoint of things to be happy about, the Bay Area definitely has the most reasons to be happy imo. Incredible culture and diversity, world class food, shopping, art, culture, entertainment, unbelievable natural setting and heavenly climate, oh and the most dynamic economy in the world complete with top tier universities and the driver of world innovation...Not bad at all.

Worlds Happiest Cities 2013: From Rio de Janeiro to San Francisco : Leisure : TravelersToday
Oh my, not another study that will be 100% different next week or next month...If San Francisco is the happiest city in America I bet it has to do with everyone being so high, 1/2 the time they don't know what being unhappy means...

Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 AM

25 posts, read 14,338 times
@ambient got it right.

to EclecticEars, the SF to LA mover.......

your examples are just too generalized. you see a few things and you blow em up.
ive been in LA for a few years, and was born and raised in SF. Im not saying SF is perfect, but neither is LA. NOWHERE is perfect. you win some you lose some.

but in terms of commuting.
LA to SF......... are you serious?
not even apples to apples.

the freeways in LA are incomparable to SF. people squeeze themselves into tight spots just to get ahead when there's traffic. OF COURSE, people are thankful when you let them cut in front of you. im not even gonna go over the reckless driving. everyone spends their days on the freeways.

yeah yeah... people commute from north, east, south to SF.
But the mentality is different up here.
the thing is, people KNOW there's affordable public transportation. AND it's cool to be GREEN.
you have some affordable/small/chic/green/hybrid/electric/smart/innovative-on-a-level-that-saves-something car? You get COOL points. If you're poor and don't care about being cool, it's even better. You save on money, gas, and insurance, and it's easier to find a spot in the streets. Rent is enough to worry about.
fasttrak is easy and convenient. CARPOOLING is actually cool. Besides, you get discounts if you carpool. and our gas is more expensive than LA.
you know what people do when they park their cars at the curb (for free, afterhours), and then they meet up with their friends/family at whatever social event? I swear, it's the dumbest thing but i get why.
For 10 to 20 min, they DISCUSS where they parked and how long it took them to find that spot. And IF that spot was small or their car is one of those new small ones, then they're going to go ON about how happy/grateful/proud/content they are.
I'm not even going to discuss street cleanings (it's a sport apparently) and metered parking.

when i travel WITHIN SF, it's a +10min to +50min if i walk+bus/bart EACH WAY instead of driving. BUT I save up on gas (at least $10), parking ($2 to $8), and time finding a parking spot (10 to 30 min).
NO CAR? fine. you don't have to worry about the insurance, parking overnight, street cleanings. and so much more. there are car-sharing/renting companies like zipcar. it's do-able.
but in LA? and LA County? you've got to be kidding me.
i take your car away for a MONTH and YOU WILL SUFFER.......
i've tried -- i really did. everytime, it was like 2x to 3x longer. a 20min drive one-way? 75min by bus (that doesn't include getting off and getting on another) & another 10min of walking.

and to SF natives, when you're on 101 or 280, chances are, when you were stuck, you cut all the way to the right, GOT OUT, wiggled through some small streets, and continued your way on one of the big, grid main streets. OR you got stuck in traffic, but it wasn't that bad in 15min.
what do LA natives do? They sit and smoke their lungs out. why? because the freeway is the ONLY way.

so that time in SF when you were a bit late at going at green, YEAH, you deserved to get honked at.
City people actually use streets here.
There's only oh-so-many lanes on our streets. And you better check your right side. Muni and a handful of bikers basically OWN the right lane. I hate bikers, but they'll always be there. So don't even think about using the right lane unless you're making a turn.

now tell me, how often is it that streets (even the 2 lane one-way ones) get congested in LA and LA county? how long does it take you to find a parking spot? how much did it cost? how often do you or people you know take public transportation? is it a regular thing? can you walk 10 minutes and get your groceries?

Last edited by BelieveIt; 02-11-2013 at 05:03 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,436,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveIt View Post
@ambient got it right.

I'm not going to attempt to go through your points one by one.

Yeah, SF may be more "green," but look at LA's 30/10 initiative and addition of 47 new miles of bike lanes. Is it enough? Probably not, but they're trying.

I didn't hesitate to move at the green light. I MOVED. And they honked anyway. So much for laid back in "the city."

Your attitude does not lend itself well to L.A. with the possible exceptions of parts of the west side.

Like I said, maybe I'll get to L.A. and find that I like the Bay Area better after all. We'll see. But, I won't miss the fact that Bay Area people (particularly SF and the Peninsula) take themselves so seriously.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 AM

25 posts, read 14,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
So much for laid back in "the city."

Your attitude does not lend itself well to L.A. with the possible exceptions of parts of the west side.

Like I said, maybe I'll get to L.A. and find that I like the Bay Area better after all. We'll see. But, I won't miss the fact that Bay Area people (particularly SF and the Peninsula) take themselves so seriously.
oh man.
i just thought you over-generalized.
people are always trying to compete with everyone else in education, politics, birth, class, looks, being green, everything.

im not into that.
Im from SF and I have been in LA for a few years. and both are so ridiculous to a point that I just want to move to a nowhere town with a population of 5000.
but you see what i just did here. overgeneralize.
cuz it's never going to be like this. i can move to a little town but at the end of the day, people will stlil compare. some will be nice and some will be awful. i'll be an outsider and then i'll have to "blend in". and that's competition too. cuz ill be the city girl who doesn't know anything useful.
and no one will ever be happy. because they're too busy looking at everyone else and thinking negative or confusing thoughts about themselves.

so i've stopped generalizing. if i met 5 people and 4 are just plain nasty people, then that's it. 4/5 of those people are nasty. it doesn't mean anything more or less. this might mean i might be in a sour mood that day or i just had bad luck.
And that's all I've really ever meant to say. all those dragged out details really comes down to this.
that 4/5 ratio doesn't have anything to do with my neighborhood or city. i mean, it would if it was more like crime rates or something along those lines. but you get what i mean.

HA. the west side. there you go again. you can be poor and still live there. it's like SF Bay area. Roommates.
I moved from one rent hell to another.

i hope you'll be happy in LA. it's really not that different.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,441,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This thread interest me for a few reasons; the first is SF is curiously the only North American city on that list. Another thing I find fascinating is the willingness to compare it to New York when it's something negative. Generally, most will quickly point out how it's in no way like NYC. I find that interesting.

Now having done my part as devils advocate, do I agree that SF is a happy place? No! For starters just take a Muni Bus in SF then go to Oakland and take AC Transit. The difference in the way people behave both while at the bus stop and especially while boarding is like being on two different planets! In Oakland, complete strangers will smile and say hello to you. In SF complete strangers will walk right into you if you're in their way. People are similarly more polite and seem happier in the south bay as well. Makes me wonder if this pool said San Francisco but polled people from nearby areas.
What you describe may show that people aren't happy while riding Muni. Not that people aren't happy in general. I loved living in SF, but likely never smiled a single time while riding a Muni bus. I have many friends who also love living in SF, but ***** and moan about Muni all the time. The Muni experience can suck, especially if you're riding the 30/45/8x through Chinatown lol

Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM

12,413 posts, read 10,401,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
What you describe may show that people aren't happy while riding Muni. Not that people aren't happy in general. I loved living in SF, but likely never smiled a single time while riding a Muni bus. I have many friends who also love living in SF, but ***** and moan about Muni all the time. The Muni experience can suck, especially if you're riding the 30/45/8x through Chinatown lol
You're probably right. I'm fine until I have to get on those damn Muni buses too. I really detest Muni.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:48 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,441,948 times
The people riding the buses could do a lot to improve the Muni experience. It's basically commonplace for people to rush the doors of the buses, even if it means running over someone or blocking someone from exiting. If people were more respectful and patient, that would help a lot.

As for the system, I'd say stops occur too frequently. Particularly those southbound buses through Stockton. There's three stops between Columbus and the tunnel. That's three stops in 0.4 miles (per google maps). That's insane.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,826,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveIt View Post
@ambient got it right.

your examples are just too generalized. you see a few things and you blow em up.
ive been in LA for a few years, and was born and raised in SF. Im not saying SF is perfect, but neither is LA. NOWHERE is perfect. you win some you lose some.

but in terms of commuting.
LA to SF......... are you serious?
not even apples to apples.

the freeways in LA are incomparable to SF. people squeeze themselves into tight spots just to get ahead when there's traffic. OF COURSE, people are thankful when you let them cut in front of you. im not even gonna go over the reckless driving. everyone spends their days on the freeways.

yeah yeah... people commute from north, east, south to SF.
But the mentality is different up here.
the thing is, people KNOW there's affordable public transportation. AND it's cool to be GREEN.
you have some affordable/small/chic/green/hybrid/electric/smart/innovative-on-a-level-that-saves-something car? You get COOL points. If you're poor and don't care about being cool, it's even better. You save on money, gas, and insurance, and it's easier to find a spot in the streets. Rent is enough to worry about.
fasttrak is easy and convenient. CARPOOLING is actually cool. Besides, you get discounts if you carpool. and our gas is more expensive than LA.
you know what people do when they park their cars at the curb (for free, afterhours), and then they meet up with their friends/family at whatever social event? I swear, it's the dumbest thing but i get why.
For 10 to 20 min, they DISCUSS where they parked and how long it took them to find that spot. And IF that spot was small or their car is one of those new small ones, then they're going to go ON about how happy/grateful/proud/content they are.
I'm not even going to discuss street cleanings (it's a sport apparently) and metered parking.

when i travel WITHIN SF, it's a +10min to +50min if i walk+bus/bart EACH WAY instead of driving. BUT I save up on gas (at least $10), parking ($2 to $8), and time finding a parking spot (10 to 30 min).
NO CAR? fine. you don't have to worry about the insurance, parking overnight, street cleanings. and so much more. there are car-sharing/renting companies like zipcar. it's do-able.
but in LA? and LA County? you've got to be kidding me.
i take your car away for a MONTH and YOU WILL SUFFER.......
i've tried -- i really did. everytime, it was like 2x to 3x longer. a 20min drive one-way? 75min by bus (that doesn't include getting off and getting on another) & another 10min of walking.

and to SF natives, when you're on 101 or 280, chances are, when you were stuck, you cut all the way to the right, GOT OUT, wiggled through some small streets, and continued your way on one of the big, grid main streets. OR you got stuck in traffic, but it wasn't that bad in 15min.
what do LA natives do? They sit and smoke their lungs out. why? because the freeway is the ONLY way.

so that time in SF when you were a bit late at going at green, YEAH, you deserved to get honked at.
City people actually use streets here.
There's only oh-so-many lanes on our streets. And you better check your right side. Muni and a handful of bikers basically OWN the right lane. I hate bikers, but they'll always be there. So don't even think about using the right lane unless you're making a turn.

now tell me, how often is it that streets (even the 2 lane one-way ones) get congested in LA and LA county? how long does it take you to find a parking spot? how much did it cost? how often do you or people you know take public transportation? is it a regular thing? can you walk 10 minutes and get your groceries?
LA is a way better city than SF/bay area when it comes to transportation infrastructure. LA has fairly decent public transit too in their busy areas and the buses are much cleaner and nicer than SF. Its just LA is a much bigger city and it takes more time to go somewhere whether you use public transit/drive. Overall LA is much bigger, nicer and more important city and has far far better arts, museums, symphony, shopping, beaches, airport, roads, entertainment and on and on. I would like to think SF has better restaurants but I haven't really explored the food scene in LA. LA, NYC, Chicago etc are first tier mega cities whereas SF is a smaller second tier city like Boston or Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland