U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,327 posts, read 33,105,778 times
Reputation: 10740

Advertisements

From the standpoint of things to be happy about, the Bay Area definitely has the most reasons to be happy imo. Incredible culture and diversity, world class food, shopping, art, culture, entertainment, unbelievable natural setting and heavenly climate, oh and the most dynamic economy in the world complete with top tier universities and the driver of world innovation...Not bad at all.

Worlds Happiest Cities 2013: From Rio de Janeiro to San Francisco : Leisure : TravelersToday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2013, 11:40 PM
 
3,470 posts, read 5,642,626 times
Reputation: 2341
I literally LOL'd at this!

SF has some of the most sanctimonious a-holes in America! (I'm not blanketing the whole Bay Area here, mind you.) It might not be as unhappy as the large cities of the East Coast, but I see and encounter plenty of sour, peed off people in "the city."

In fact, if you scan C-D and Yelp, you'll see that quite a few people have said that L.A. has happier, friendlier residents than S.F. I'm considering a move to L.A., in fact, so I guess I'll find out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,327 posts, read 33,105,778 times
Reputation: 10740
Yes, please go and find out. We are all extremely eager to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 11:51 PM
 
3,470 posts, read 5,642,626 times
Reputation: 2341
(This thread = S.F. AND Bay Area.)

I moved to the Bay Area by choice because I got the job offer that served as a foot in the door of California (which initially seemed to be a great offer, but the company was not a good fit at all). Since then, finding gainful employment here despite the relatively strong economy has been a real struggle. Not to mention, people are very closed off and uptight, somewhat Bostonian in my interpretation. They just don't seem very happy on the Peninsula or in SF, although parts of the East Bay, San Jose and Sonoma Co. seem more relaxed.

L.A. was my first choice anyway for a move. And, having worked in customer service for years before my move, I actually enjoyed working with most of my L.A. customers. The Bay Area customers ranked right up with parts of the Northeast for being the most dreadful. My father, a very Southern country fellow who would never live in a large metropolis, has even said that SoCal dwellers are pleasant, at least when compared to NorCal dwellers.

I've met plenty of nice people in the Bay and made friends--in fact, more than I did living in the Midwest! (I'm originally from the South but spent some time in Louisville and Cincinnati.) But, I have put forth the effort. There really is a lot that I like about the Bay Area and it's not a bad place to live. Nonetheless, one will have a difficult time advancing socially and professionally here unless they are very openly left politically, whereas most of L.A. seems considerably more balanced and laissez-faire. I wanna leave the door open to return to the Bay if I want, but I also wanna try L.A. anyway.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-10-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 01:22 AM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
7,817 posts, read 4,546,653 times
Reputation: 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I literally LOL'd at this!

SF has some of the most sanctimonious a-holes in America! (I'm not blanketing the whole Bay Area here, mind you.) It might not be as unhappy as the large cities of the East Coast, but I see and encounter plenty of sour, peed off people in "the city."

In fact, if you scan C-D and Yelp, you'll see that quite a few people have said that L.A. has happier, friendlier residents than S.F. I'm considering a move to L.A., in fact, so I guess I'll find out!
The truth is that you can't determine your experience based on generalizations of millions of people. If you're the kind of person who is sour and unhappy, then you will continue to be that way regardless of where you move; San Francisco has nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 AM
 
3,470 posts, read 5,642,626 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
(This thread = S.F. AND Bay Area.)
I meant "post."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 AM
 
3,470 posts, read 5,642,626 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The truth is that you can't determine your experience based on generalizations of millions of people. If you're the kind of person who is sour and unhappy, then you will continue to be that way regardless of where you move; San Francisco has nothing to do with it.
I'm not a sour and unhappy person. In fact, I enjoyed living here a lot for the first year, frustrations and all. Over the last few months, though, I feel like reality for me has set in. I continue to explore neighborhoods, try new restaurants and do beer tastings and such all the time, so I find plenty of time to do the things that I want to do and make me happy, and that is in part how I deal with it.

Also, call it a generalization of millions of people, but the people that I personally encounter and meet are generally not very warm and fuzzy. They don't look very happy (and you might recall a poster from Houston who spent a month in SF on business and couldn't wait to get back to Houston for this reason.) Not that I'm expecting L.A. to be Mayberry (it obviously isn't), either, and maybe I'll stay or maybe I'll run back to the Bay Area. I'm young and open-minded, that's why I want to find out.

Let me give you a set of examples:
1. The first time I ever went to L.A., I struck up a conversation with a native at a bar in a nice local restaurant, the shuttle driver at the airport was super friendly, and people were giving me thank you waves in congested traffic on the 101 Freeway. Some staff at the hotel weren't very friendly, but I didn't meet anyone that was rude, either.
2. The first time I came to S.F.: a man placed his empty Starbucks cup on MY table (WTF?) when there was a trash can close-by, and drivers were blaring their horns the immediate moment the light turned green. The customer service was either uber sugar-coated (even by Southern standards) or robotic and unfriendly. The only genuinely friendly person I remember meeting was a Spanish national living in SF, a really cool guy.

While these are only first impressions, they usually can mean something, and I can say that generally the people I've met from L.A. have been a little (not greatly, but noticeably enough) friendlier than people from S.F. and much of the Bay Area. I'm sure both areas are "wound up" and "neurotic" in their own way, though.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-10-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM
 
34 posts, read 8,305 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
From the standpoint of things to be happy about, the Bay Area definitely has the most reasons to be happy imo. Incredible culture and diversity, world class food, shopping, art, culture, entertainment, unbelievable natural setting and heavenly climate, oh and the most dynamic economy in the world complete with top tier universities and the driver of world innovation...Not bad at all.

Worlds Happiest Cities 2013: From Rio de Janeiro to San Francisco : Leisure : TravelersToday

It's a well known fact that anyone can pay a magazine to rank yourself as #1. The more you pay/bribe, the higher you will rank.

In reality, this is a joke. The people in Oakland, San Mateo, San Jose are much happier than SF. SF is like a mini NYC, not enough resources for the people. Not enough parking, not enough space on the road, not enough space on the buses, lines for everything and just general overcrowding with too many people fighting over too few resources. Also, people dress in a "cold defensive" fashion. They wear heavy armor (thick coats, cover up every inch of skin) because it is so cold. So they way they dress changes their mentality, they act defensive, act cold as if they are fighting the cold war.

Another factor is politics. SF is known for angry politics. They love to protest and love to hate with a vengeance. Let's say you accidentally say something that may offend a gay. Boy, they will come after you and attempt to hang you and say, "homophobia will not be tolerated! You must be gassed! Heil Hitler!" Hate is the middle name of SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 AM
 
3,470 posts, read 5,642,626 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareaadvisor View Post
It's a well known fact that anyone can pay a magazine to rank yourself as #1. The more you pay/bribe, the higher you will rank.

In reality, this is a joke. The people in Oakland, San Mateo, San Jose are much happier than SF. SF is like a mini NYC, not enough resources for the people. Not enough parking, not enough space on the road, not enough space on the buses, lines for everything and just general overcrowding with too many people fighting over too few resources. Also, people dress in a "cold defensive" fashion. They wear heavy armor (thick coats, cover up every inch of skin) because it is so cold. So they way they dress changes their mentality, they act defensive, act cold as if they are fighting the cold war.

Another factor is politics. SF is known for angry politics. They love to protest and love to hate with a vengeance. Let's say you accidentally say something that may offend a gay. Boy, they will come after you and attempt to hang you and say, "homophobia will not be tolerated! You must be gassed! Heil Hitler!" Hate is the middle name of SF.
While my statements about the Bay Area stand, I agree with you that many outlying parts of the Bay Area (Oakland and SJ, not so much the Peninsula/SM) are more relaxed and less hateful when compared to SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM
 
34 posts, read 8,305 times
Reputation: 22
San Franciscans are constantly unhappy.

The rent is too high so whatever leftover $ they have they have to spend it on the high retail prices. The buses are always late. You can't even board a bus on the #19 going to SFSU because they are jammed packed like sardines and the bus doesn't even stop. You drive and circle around the block 6 times and still cant find a parking space after 20 mins in thick traffic. IF you do find a space, you have to wait in line again at the restaurant and must stand up in the cold entrance waiting for them to call you after 30 mins just so u can eat. Nobody ever fixes the 100s of potholes in SF and now your suspension needs a $300 fix. All the transients come from Peoria, settle down in Haight, pierce their nose, genitals, eyelids, and protest anything and everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top