Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
They know the group that is responsible, do you not understand that? Say there are 100 murders, you find out that XYZ is responsible for 7 of those murders, but you aren't sure about who killed the other 93 people. It's common sense to go after XYZ first or at least simultaneously. Ignoring it would be plain stupid.
They are also well aware of which groups is causing the bulk of the murders in Fruitvale (norteno and sureno gang violence). They are willfully ignoring that, it is a case of a false scapegoat for PR purposes.

"Look we are doing something in North Oakland, since it will boost our PR image." And ignoring the same exact identified problem in East Oakland (oh, nobody cares, lots of brown/black people live there.). See the coverage on what happened in Uptown vs similar incidents in DEO the same time period.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
They are also well aware of which groups is causing the bulk of the murders in Fruitvale (norteno and sureno gang violence). They are willfully ignoring that, it is a case of a false scapegoat for PR purposes.

"Look we are doing something in North Oakland, since it will boost our PR image." And ignoring the same exact identified problem in East Oakland (oh, nobody cares, lots of brown/black people live there.). See the coverage on what happened in Uptown vs similar incidents in DEO the same time period.
I'm not advocating they shouldnt focus on other areas, I'm saying simply because it makes up 7% that's no reason to ignore it too. They should focus on them all and see which one falls first.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I'm not advocating they shouldnt focus on other areas, I'm saying simply because it makes up 7% that's no reason to ignore it too. They should focus on them all and see which one falls first.
That's the deal. THat injunction was a PR stunt. It didn't have any purpose. Half of the injunction area covered places that didn't have any gang problems at all. Maybe only 25% actually had a real "problem." And let's see, Oakland had what 130 murders in 2009? And 7 of them were caused by that group? OK that's like 4%.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
They also had an injunction against the Nortenos in Fruitvale, jade.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
That's the deal. THat injunction was a PR stunt. It didn't have any purpose. Half of the injunction area covered places that didn't have any gang problems at all. Maybe only 25% actually had a real "problem." And let's see, Oakland had what 130 murders in 2009? And 7 of them were caused by that group? OK that's like 4%.
That Oakland PD "knows of". Oakland PD only solves about 29% of the murder cases in the city of Oakland:
Getting Away with Murder | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage

The number of murders by that group could be double but Oakland PD wouldn't know, they have one of the worst clear rates in the Bay Area when it comes to solving homicides, and have an overall drop of 14% in effectiveness since 2009 (right before Quan started laying off Oakland officers like it was going out of style).

Quote:
But perhaps the most telling statistic is OPD's solve rate — known in criminal justice circles as the clearance rate — for homicides. According to the department's Criminal Investigations Division's annual management report, OPD investigators solved and prosecuted just 32 of the 110 homicide cases of 2011, or a clearance rate of 29 percent. Similarly, OPD posted a 30 percent clearance rate in 2010, when investigators sent 27 of the 90 murders that year to the Alameda County District Attorney's Office for prosecution. This is a decrease from 2009's clearance rate of 43 percent, when OPD investigators arrested and prosecuted individuals in 47 of the 109 homicides that year.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
jade is 100% correct

DEO is too far away from Lake Merritt/Rockridge/Uptown/Art Murmur for people to care. Something like 80+ murders a year happen in the flats!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
You are the one that came up with the 7% figure, I assumed you did the math correctly. I don't think the families of those victims think the injunction was a PR stunt.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
They also had an injunction against the Nortenos in Fruitvale, jade.

You beat me to it.

In both cases though (the NSO and Fruitvale injunctions) it's no coincidence that these areas are also hotspots of gentrification. If anything, the gang injunctions are being used as a tool to step up gentrification. As long as yuppies aren't moving into DEO there will be no gang injunction there even if putting one there makes logical sense.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
You are the one that came up with the 7% figure, I assumed you did the math correctly. I don't think the families of those victims think the injunction was a PR stunt.
So let's see, based on the stats behind the injunction, the Northside "Gang" accounted for around 50 incidents --- just incidents. Last I checked, there were easily 80 murders in DEO last year. Don't those families need solutions?

Not according the Oakland PR team.......

I'd rather see resources focused on solving the real problems. Not a handful of problems because they are close to trendier areas. And I live near the area in question.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You beat me to it.

In both cases though (the NSO and Fruitvale injunctions) it's no coincidence that these areas are also hotspots of gentrification. If anything, the gang injunctions are being used as a tool to step up gentrification. As long as yuppies aren't moving into DEO there will be no gang injunction there even if putting one there makes logical sense.
Yup, unfortunately. Way to solve the problem guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland