Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 AM

29 posts, read 76,677 times

Advertisements

Do you think City College (CCSF) is going to lose its accreditation? Why?
What led to this happening?
I've been out of the loop for a while and was hoping someone could bring me up to speed. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Probably.

I have several friends who teach there and they are all deeply concerned.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,792 times
What the hell happened? I try to keep up with what's going in my hometown but this I didn't know. CCSF was a great school at one time, a gateway to Berkeley or any of the CSU's. I took classes there when I was in high school, the professors were great and the library was pretty good. Granted this was back in the 80's, so much must have changed.

For a school to lose accreditation, there must be some very serious malfeasance going on, or the educational quality must have fallen off the table. I honestly find it hard to believe that SF'ers would have allowed that to happen, CCSF was a very cost effective way to get a college education, it wasn't cheap but multiple times less than what a four year public school would have cost. Something is real wrong here, I have to think if this isn't a way to force people into four years because it's very hard for me to believe that the public would allow CCSF to fall apart to this extent.....

Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
We have TWO community colleges up here that are both waiting for their letters. Nailbiting time.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
We have TWO community colleges up here that are both waiting for their letters. Nailbiting time.

What's the second one? The San Mateo County community colleges?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 PM

I assumed CCSF had it's funding restored (and didn't have to worry that much about finances anymore) because California finally balanced it's budget and was not just refunding, but sending more money, to the community colleges there...

California Budget Balanced, Agrees Analyst

Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerD View Post
I assumed CCSF had it's funding restored (and didn't have to worry that much about finances anymore) because California finally balanced it's budget and was not just refunding, but sending more money, to the community colleges there...

California Budget Balanced, Agrees Analyst
The announcement on a potential City College closure will be March 15. It seems like they have deep financial problems and are doing only the bare minimum of budget cuts.

City College of San Francisco Accreditation - SFGate

Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
The announcement on a potential City College closure will be March 15. It seems like they have deep financial problems and are doing only the bare minimum of budget cuts.

City College of San Francisco Accreditation - SFGate
Thanks, I'm reading that now...

Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Wow, those articles were a long read, but very informative. Thanks again.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
The Wobblies think they will always get their way but when the money really runs out, they won't get their way. Force of habit is hard to change especially when the habit has been fed for decades upon decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland