Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 02:13 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Agreed. Almost everything else you own loses value over time and the more you use it, e.g., cars, TVs, computers, cell phones, appliances, clothing, furniture, cookware, etc. So why is an old, used, outdated house worth 40 times more than its original purchase price? It makes no sense. Does that happen with anything else that you've owned for 50 years that's not an antique or rare but just old?

I know people are going to say it's the value of the land. But then why do condos also increase in value? And what exactly makes the land more valuable than it was before? Isn't it the same pile of dirt that it has been for thousands of years? Has this pile of dirt become more technologically advanced or sophisticated over the past 50 years?

Population growth you say? Well, why can't people move out of an area as quickly as they moved in?
I've never lost money on a car...

Tractors have also been good to me...

My former boss owned cars that have done very well... mostly retired race cars that at the time could be bought for very little... he also Collected Cobras and GT40s.

A little off topic... in 2006 he bought a showroom new Fort GT for 160k... sold it a few years back for 210k... so it most definitely can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 02:30 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,695,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

My former boss owned cars that have done very well... mostly retired race cars that at the time could be bought for very little... he also Collected Cobras and GT40s.

A little off topic... in 2006 he bought a showroom new Fort GT for 160k... sold it a few years back for 210k... so it most definitely can happen.
I dug a well and oil shot out of the ground. I live in Beverly Hills now.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:17 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
The key is to minimize expenses and certainly debt on things that depreciate.

I avoid recurring debt like the plague... things like Credit Card Interest, Cable and Cell Phone Bills... Memberships... etc.

There is no right or wrong... only what has worked for me.

I've like convertible cars... always have and have bought and sold them over the years... always for more than I had in them.

Same for Real Estate.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:19 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,169,591 times
Quote:
Agreed. Almost everything else you own loses value over time and the more you use it, e.g., cars, TVs, computers, cell phones, appliances, clothing, furniture, cookware, etc. So why is an old, used, outdated house worth 40 times more than its original purchase price? It makes no sense. Does that happen with anything else that you've owned for 50 years that's not an antique or rare but just old?

I know people are going to say it's the value of the land. But then why do condos also increase in value? And what exactly makes the land more valuable than it was before? Isn't it the same pile of dirt that it has been for thousands of years? Has this pile of dirt become more technologically advanced or sophisticated over the past 50 years?

"Buy land, they're not making it anymore."

-- Mark Twain.

Condos are also on land.

Quote:
Population growth you say? Well, why can't people move out of an area as quickly as they moved in?
Because enough people don't want to move.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:37 PM

677 posts, read 832,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Sure, it CAN happen. But not in 99.99% of cases. Buy a new Chevy Malibu or Nissan Altima and put 200,000 miles on it over 20 years and see if it's now worth more than what you originally paid for it. Whereas, 99.99% of houses actually increase in value over 20 years, even though it's 20 years older, been used for 20 years, and many of its parts are on the verge of failure and require major repairs.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Sure, it CAN happen. But not in 99.99% of cases. Buy a new Chevy Malibu or Nissan Altima and put 200,000 miles on it over 20 years and see if it's now worth more than what you originally paid for it. Whereas, 99.99% of houses actually increase in value over 20 years, even though it's 20 years older, been used for 20 years, and many of its parts are on the verge of failure and require major repairs.
What house is worn out after 20 years? I see plenty of all original 50s ranch homes.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
"Buy land, they're not making it anymore."

-- Mark Twain.
But they are. On Mars.

Besides, there's also landfill and land reclamation. And if you drive around this country, there is clearly no shortage of land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Condos are also on land.
You don't own the land when you buy a condo so why would something you don't get be worth more? That's like saying a car increases in value because of its engine, but if you don't get the engine when you buy the car, why would the car increase in value?

Old 04-11-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
But they are. On Mars.

Besides, there's also landfill and land reclamation. And if you drive around this country, there is clearly no shortage of land.

You don't own the land when you buy a condo so why would something you don't get be worth more? That's like saying a car increases in value because of its engine, but if you don't get the engine when you buy the car, why would the car increase in value?
Because you can live in a house.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
What house is worn out after 20 years? I see plenty of all original 50s ranch homes.
Yeah, and they look worn out, dilapidated, and outdated.

But, OK, let's change the timeline. Most cars don't increase in value after only 20 years of use so why do most houses increase in value after 50 years of use?

Old 04-11-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and they look worn out, dilapidated, and outdated.

But, OK, let's change the timeline. Most cars don't increase in value after only 20 years of use so why do most houses increase in value after 50 years of use?
Moving the goal posts I see. Like I mentioned earlier. You live in a house. A house is a status symbol and is ubiquitous with land ownership. You don't have to rent anymore and so your COL becomes partially frozen. There's a lot of value to homes that cars don't bring.
Once a car reaches a certain age and amount of nostalgia they begin to act like houses i.e. 1957 Chevys or 1964 Impalas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland