Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 12:12 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/tr...0&pagewanted=2

Oakland made the New York Times list for places to go in 2012 between London and Tokyo. This was based on the incredible dining scene that has developed with the Michelin starred coi spin offs like haven and plum,the chez panisse alumni at camino piziallo and boot and shoe service ,the Michellen starred commis. There are many other superb places to dine in oakland

I don't enjoy going on vacations as much because usually the quality of food does not match oakland.last time I was in Maui I really noticed this
If you are not a foody this may not mean anything but if you are oakland is nationally known for its dining scene
I think Oakland has a great dining scene because of a confluence of factors:

1. Proximity to agricultural regions and wine country along with a wholesale produce market bring fresh produce to Oakland daily

2. Nearby Berkeley "food justice" culture brings a certain ethos to dining which focuses on quality and freshness, as well as eco/socio-consciousness

3. Nearby San Francisco "joie de vivre", tourism, and very robust high-end gourmet culture bring influences as well

4. A diverse population and ethnic melting pot give food an ethnic flair and give the food lots of spice and kick

5. Lower rents allow for more chefs and restaurant entrepreneurs to open quality restaurants, take risks, and build out the interiors of their restaurants better without having to charge customers as much

6. Urban environments are always great breeding grounds for culture and creativity in general and Oakland is currently undergoing a creative and artistic rennaissance

7. A sophisticated dining population who are foodies and also very familiar with authentic ethnic foods and with broader palates than the average American

8. Food literature and food journalism give good media coverage to the local dining scene in SF and Oakland

9. The Port of Oakland also brings in food items from across the seas, likely lowering the price for imported ingredients such as those from Asia

10. The built environment offers up lots of good walkable destinations with interesting buildings for restauranteurs to open up shop, creating entertainment and dining corridors and blocks i.e. Grand Ave. across from Lake Merritt, Uptown neighborhood, JLS

One more I'd like to add is biking. The flat parts of Oakland are great for biking and it is fun to bike to restaurants to eat. Biking really enhances the appetite for food and also with the exercise, gives you more leeway as to the calories you can consume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland