Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM

159 posts, read 646,381 times

Advertisements

Yes, that title is correct. Maybe those two things are mutually exclusive.

But I'm starting to research neighborhoods to possibly purchase a home. I find that good school districts usually have pricier homes. I don't have kids and won't for a while, so school districts mean nothing to me. So I was hoping maybe I can find an "up-and coming" type neighborhood that is safe but may not have very good schools yet.

The only things that matter to me right now is that I'm within an hour commute to Palo Alto by car (where I work), and that the neighborhood is safe (mostly free from violent crime).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Castro Valley, but a bit farther than 1 hour.

Some places in Fremont, and Milpitas.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 AM

297 posts, read 766,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoson View Post
Yes, that title is correct. Maybe those two things are mutually exclusive.

But I'm starting to research neighborhoods to possibly purchase a home. I find that good school districts usually have pricier homes. I don't have kids and won't for a while, so school districts mean nothing to me. So I was hoping maybe I can find an "up-and coming" type neighborhood that is safe but may not have very good schools yet.

The only things that matter to me right now is that I'm within an hour commute to Palo Alto by car (where I work), and that the neighborhood is safe (mostly free from violent crime).
Pacifica, and parts of San Bruno, Daly City and South San Francisco, but not sure if they are up and coming or just that the fog keeps people away and home prices relatively reasonable.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
How much money to you have?
The Hayward/San Leandro/Castro Valley/San Lorenzo area would fit the bill. Each of these cities have nice established neighborhoods (as well as not so great areas). But the prices are much more reasonable than any other city within an hour from PA. I work in RWC and live in San Lorenzo. It takes about 50 minutes in the morning and 60 minutes to get home.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
It's hard to say what your idea of safe is, because I think the term itself is fairly relative. What I view as safe and wonderful enough to live in someone else might think is shady, or vice versa!

So, I'll conclude this as to being areas where you can find good bargains, and for that, I think you head to the 880 and 580 corridors. As Doc mentioned, Fremont. You can probably get the most bang for your buck on a 2,000 sq. ft. home in Fremont. You might drive around Hayward and see what's comfortable to you because Hayward will be even cheaper. I'd just avoid the abundance of dilapidated 1970s cheap housing stock. I also like Castro Valley, Livermore, and parts of Oakland - all of which has some bargains.

And check San Jose! I think downtown is coming along well and there's some likable things about SJ that could propel me to both work and live in that area.

There are a lot of unknowns here though. Are you looking for a SFH? A condo? Renting? How much do you want to spend?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
You are unwise, as a prospective homebuyer, to operate on the principle "school districts mean nothing to me". Wait till you try to SELL your house. Then they will mean everything. Also, communities that care about their schools generally take care of business in other ways that benefit the whole population.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM

159 posts, read 646,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You are unwise, as a prospective homebuyer, to operate on the principle "school districts mean nothing to me". Wait till you try to SELL your house. Then they will mean everything. Also, communities that care about their schools generally take care of business in other ways that benefit the whole population.
I don't have a million in cash lying around, so if I want to buy in the Bay Area, I need to make SOME compromises.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I also believe Dublin is up and coming, but the commute will be further than an hour.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I don't like this advice at all. Sure, you'll sacrifice when you sell but that's the entire reason why you paid significantly less when you bought it too. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You're also operating on the presumptive notion that the OP is planning on selling the very home he's purchasing. It's altogether possible the OP plans on being a long-hold investor and maybe turning the property into an income property one day. It's possible that he'll never need to care about the school district. It's not up to us to say.

In addition, neighborhoods and school districts are cyclical. Areas you might discount now, you may end up thinking highly of later, and we definitely know the reverse is true.

I personally think the OP is wise in doing research and trying to determine his biggest bargains so that he may best live within his or her means, something that many Americans have trouble with.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,115 times
^Agree.

We lived in a town in a good school district. Nothing spectacular there, except being part of the "good schools" area. They built a brand new high school and our already high property taxes went through the roof!

Neighbors down the street had kids too, but they sent them to private school in a town 30 minutes away. I never could understand why they chose to live in this town. No advantages whatsoever.

Resale?...Market went down the tubes and they couldn't unload the thing. All those years of paying high taxes and all those hours treking the kids to school, for what?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland