Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,772,017 times

Advertisements

Concord is way the hell out there. I'd not really consider that remotely close to being the immediate Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM

22 posts, read 23,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Concord is way the hell out there. I'd not really consider that remotely close to being the immediate Bay Area.
Luckily you're not the authority on what is and what isn't considered the immediate Bay Area. So now everybody is back peddling when I prove there are 300K homes , now it's Oh concord is not really the Bay Area. LOL It takes the same amount of time to get from Inner Queens to Manhattan than it does to go from Concord to SF. Is Queens not apart of NYC?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:57 PM

24,337 posts, read 26,750,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calinewyorker View Post
Have you? I live in San Francisco, I didn't mention anything about Oakland yet when he said Eastbay you assume Oakland is the only place in the East Bay. Second of all a person making 250K per year should not be buying a 1 million dollar house with only 90 k to put down. My response was to somebody speaking about getting a house from 400-450K in that range. I wasn't aware 1700 square feet is a shack it's bigger than anything you'll get in SF or immediately surrounding SF unless you're a millionaire. Last Concord is about a 30 minute drive with no traffic. Again have YOU ever been here? Who cares what his mindset is, you're not getting a home where he wasn't for less than 1 million + It's reality. I'd like a 15 million dollar home in the marina, but guess what I have to come back to reality.
LOL, I live in San Francisco too.

A person making $250k does not need to go from considering Noe Valley to Concord lol. It's also not a 30 minute drive unless you have absolutely no traffic and you are being a speed demon. Maybe at 3AM you could do the drive in 30 minutes, but you'd probably get pulled over going through one of the cities in between.

I would also recommend that the OP increase his down payment or lower his loan amount, but to suggest he needs to go all the way to Concord to buy a house with a $250k income is crazy.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:20 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,073,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calinewyorker View Post
Luckily you're not the authority on what is and what isn't considered the immediate Bay Area. So now everybody is back peddling when I prove there are 300K homes , now it's Oh concord is not really the Bay Area. LOL It takes the same amount of time to get from Inner Queens to Manhattan than it does to go from Concord to SF. Is Queens not apart of NYC?
More like Garden City. 45-50 minutes by train or driving, more on heavy days.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Luckily you're not the authority on what is and what isn't considered the immediate Bay Area. So now everybody is back peddling when I prove there are 300K homes ,
I worked in Walnut Creek for a few years and commuted from Oakland. If you've never done that and never had to deal with the Caldecott Tunnel, the I suggest trying that before passing judgment: It backs up both ways. We're talking about an extra 15-20 minutes just getting through the tunnel. Concord is actually not far from Pittsburgh and its wayyyyyy further than Walnuit Creek. In keeping with the OP's post, this isn't in ANY way even remotely close to either SF or even Oakland, Berkeley, and especially Silicon Valley. There's a reason why areas like Concord and Pittsburgh are cheap: They're too far away from any of the major job sectors of the Bay Area. There's no way in hell I'd live out that far.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:09 PM

22 posts, read 23,719 times
Why would anybody drive from oakland to walnut creek when you can take bart? Concord is the neighboring city to wc, so how is it waaay further?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:31 PM

How long have you lived here? I've lived here for over 13 years and I can tell you right now that Concord is nowhere close to any of the job sectors in the Bay Area. I drive out to that area fairly regularly. Also- BART is going to be slower. I know because one of my co-workers commuted to WC and it usually took him an hour to an hour and a half easy.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:46 PM

203 posts, read 427,237 times
I work from home so having close access to the city is not a necessity.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
But your initial post alluded to living fairly close to the city or at least some of the core environs like Marin and the East Bay. As someone else said, if you mentioned Marin as a desirable place, well Marin is very hoity-toity and upscale. Concord, Pittsburgh, and some of the cities out that way are going to be 180 degrees opposite of that. Its VERY different. I'm not saying that's bad. But its definitely not going to be what most people would consider as the core Bay Area. You might as well move to Sacramento then because hey- its even cheaper and it also gets nice and hot- just like Concord and Pittsburgh.

In any regard, I'd really suggest to check places like that out first ( obviously) and see what they're really like.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 PM

102,077 posts, read 107,068,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
This really opens up your options. Now that you've received a number of suggestions, why don't you go on Craigslist real estate listings for the different areas suggested, and see what's available? You can get a good idea of what's available for your money in each area without having to wade through pages of bickering on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland