Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG123 View Post
But as I said b4, its a done deal, the 49ers will be a SF team in "name only." I'm just hoping that the City will lobby the NFL for a new Franchise. A Major International City such as San Francisco should not be without an NFL Franchise. As a SF native I will keep pressuring the Mayor, & BOS to do so.
Los Angeles is several times bigger than SF, and certainly is every bit as much a major, prominent metropolis - but doesn't have an NFL team. They're doing fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
It is a pity & a shame for a major City such as San Francisco, not to have a NFL team located within the City limits.
certainly San Francisco's status not only one of the great, major, alpha cities in the United States but of the world would suggest The City should have an NFL team within The City's limits.

in backwater, faceless, no account and generally not very well known cities, that is not the case. So it is fine that Phoenix has its Cardinals playing in Glendale. True as well for Washington to have its Redskins in Landover. Likewise for New York to have its Giants and Jets play in the Meadowlands. And, of course, for Los Angeles to have its......its.......its(?) play in....?.......?........?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 AM

32 posts, read 53,600 times
@ edsg25 Ikr....But do you realize that the Cardinals are called the "Arizona Cardinals?" And please Google the following info, if U don't believe me, all the other teams U named above are no more than 20 miles, or 10 minutes from their namesake City...The San Francisco 49ers will be located 40.5 miles from its namesake City, and 2 Counties away, for the 1st time in NFL History, the 49ers will play the furthest of "ANY" Pro Football team...That is why the San Jose Mercury News now calls the 49ers, "South Bay Football." The 49ers stadium will be located 1 block away from the largest City in Northern California....do U get that?

The SF will be in "NAME ONLY"....But it is done & over, the 1st kick-off from the 14 acre Stadium will be in 2014...But I also know that some of the locally Elected Officials, and Nationally Elected officials in SF are not happy campers about this situation. And I am telling y'all that the issue for a new team in SF will come, and the old 49ers will become San Jose's own NFL team.

Also LA??? Seriously?!?!...Los Angeles survives without the NFL because its La-La Land. Too much to do, Lakers, Chargers, Kings, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels, & Celebrities, Beaches & Bars...How U can compare SFO to LAX is just utterly ridiculous...smdh...

Last edited by KG123; 03-17-2013 at 03:46 AM..

Old 03-17-2013, 03:44 AM

32 posts, read 53,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That proposal, which included a retail and entertainment center to be sited next to the new stadium at Candlestick Point, was put together by Carmen Policy, who was the 49ers' president at the time the bond issue passed. Ufortunately that plan went away when Policy left to become a minority partner in the new reconsistituted Cleveland Browns team.

Well, it wasn't as if the 49ers didn't try to stay in San Francisco.

But look at it this way - The NY Jets and Giants don't play in NYC anymore, they're both in Jersey, but they're still New York teams.

The residents of San Francisco, threw that proposal out with the vote of Measure G in 2008, which included Hunters Point, as the new location for the stadium site. You are certainly right about Carmen Policy, but the main person who put a wrench in building the stadium in SF was Ed DeBartolo. Had he not got in trouble with the Feds, a new Stadium would have been built in the City, and we would have never had a change in the 49ers ownership.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:12 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
@ edsg25 Ikr....But do you realize that the Cardinals are called the "Arizona Cardinals?" And please Google the following info, if U don't believe me, all the other teams U named above are no more than 20 miles, or 10 minutes from their namesake City...The San Francisco 49ers will be located 40.5 miles from its namesake City, and 2 Counties away, for the 1st time in NFL History, the 49ers will play the furthest of "ANY" Pro Football team...That is why the San Jose Mercury News now calls the 49ers, "South Bay Football." The 49ers stadium will be located 1 block away from the largest City in Northern California....do U get that?

The SF will be in "NAME ONLY"....But it is done & over, the 1st kick-off from the 14 acre Stadium will be in 2014...But I also know that some of the locally Elected Officials, and Nationally Elected officials in SF are not happy campers about this situation. And I am telling y'all that the issue for a new team in SF will come, and the old 49ers will become San Jose's own NFL team.

Also LA??? Seriously?!?!...Los Angeles survives without the NFL because its La-La Land. Too much to do, Lakers, Chargers, Kings, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels, & Celebrities, Beaches & Bars...How U can compare SFO to LAX is just utterly ridiculous...smdh...
i don't negate the significance of that observation one bit. of course, if you consider the Jets and Giants play out of state in the meadowlands (albeit a stone's throw away from manhattan), playing in NJ for NY teams may be more of an identity crisis than the 49ers playing so far off in Santa Clara.

I would have to add that the distance to Santa Clara is as much indicative of the topography and geography of the Bay Area than anything else. That great big bay in the middle distorts distances, pushing everything further out; if you catch my drift.

i'm actually on the same page with you, KG, on the 49ers and San Francisco. the 49ers are unique: the most iconic, historical, traditional franchise on the West Coast. Playing in the most traditional and historically urban cities in the West. Those deep, deep roots count, as you have noted.

unfortunately, the 49ers have been SFINO (SF in name only) since the move to Candlestick, since there is nothing "San Francisco" about it other than it falls within Staten Island. Indeed if the Giants and Jets have moved to a new stadium built on the southern tip of Staten Island, there would have been nothing NYC about it, save for city limits. In fact, the Meadowlands comes far closer to being NYC than that southern tip of SI does.

one could thus argue that when the Niners left Kezar, they have in effect left San Francisco.

and I'll still stick to the notion that the placement of an MLB part in the heart of the city is far more important than placing an NFL stadium there. Due to the length of the schedule, MLB teams truly become part of the fabric of the city, affect money spent on game day with lots of spillover effect. The NFL's mere 8 Sundays does little to connect with a city.....further demonstrated in the closed off element of seat surrounding NFL stadium, compared to the opened-up-to-the-city MLB park.

So it's sort of a mixed bag for me: I would have loved to see the 49ers keep the SF address, but realize that the Hunters Point location was fringe SF at best and that the 49ers never were (from a real estate perspective) going to join the Giants downtown.

"And I am telling y'all that the issue for a new team in SF will come, and the old 49ers will become San Jose's own NFL team." Will never happen. Just look at the Angels. when they left Chavez Ravine and moved to OC, they decided to go with the identity of their new surroundings which they determined not to be LA. Thus the generic Calfornia Angels followed by the absurd notion of the Anaheim Angels. Then they came to their senses and took only that LA name once again because LA sells, LA matters, LA is a selling point. Even if that silly "of Anheim" (barely even used, isn't it?) is put in place.

The San Francisco 49ers are worth a heckeva lot more than the San Jose 49ers would be. And while there is no such thing as "the San Francisco area" (that's why god, in his infinite wisdom, created the Bay Area), but SF is still the unfitting city for the counties around the bay; the team would be nuts to give up that SF for an interjoined S and J on an oval on their helmet. ain't going to happen.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM

119 posts, read 184,737 times
I lost some respect for the 49ers.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
Welp, I guess the Niners' lovefest with the South Bay is getting started...

49ers Announce Draft Bash Event.....in San Jose's San Pedro Square Market

Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
And to be honest, Niners can be named anything as long as it's not "San Jose 49ers". Not because I'm partial to the San Francisco name, but in my opinion a team should be named for the city it actually plays in.

In the Bay Area (and especially the South Bay) the smaller cities do not think of themselves as suburbs of any of the Bay's two anchor cities (SF and SJ). They are all parts of the Bay Area region.

Santa Clara is not a suburb of San Jose, so rebranding the Niners as "San Jose 49ers" is just absurd to me

Should they have been named "Santa Clara 49ers"? To me, YES. But then, that wouldn't be too good from a marketing perspective...

Old 04-05-2013, 04:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
And to be honest, Niners can be named anything as long as it's not "San Jose 49ers". Not because I'm partial to the San Francisco name, but in my opinion a team should be named for the city it actually plays in.

In the Bay Area (and especially the South Bay) the smaller cities do not think of themselves as suburbs of any of the Bay's two anchor cities (SF and SJ). They are all parts of the Bay Area region.

Santa Clara is not a suburb of San Jose, so rebranding the Niners as "San Jose 49ers" is just absurd to me

Should they have been named "Santa Clara 49ers"? To me, YES. But then, that wouldn't be too good from a marketing perspective...
Santa Clara ... isn't that near LA? /sarc

Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
I have not read through all the posts, but once the team is in the Silicon Valley I think it will be become even more of a San Jose/Silicon Valley event. This will be a San Jose/Santa Clara/Silicon Valley team!

Everyone in San Jose will be a 15-20 min drive of the stadium, or a light rail ride away. There are two light rail stations within a block of the stadium, which makes it easy for anyone, east, west, south, downtown, southwest San Jose and surrounding communities. You could even ride your bike to the stadium on the San Tomas Aquino Bike and walking trail. You can take light rail from the San Jose Arena directly to the 9er stadium.

As you walk down Tasman drive, you can see directly into the stadium, something you couldn't do at Candlestick.

If the new stadium was actually located within the city limits of San Jose it would be hard not to expect a name change considering San Jose is a larger city than San Francisco and the corp office and training facility are located in Santa Clara County.

Even the East Bay will have better access because the amtrak station is located right next to the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland