Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 PM

538 posts, read 1,186,322 times

Advertisements

This may be too obvious, but you might want to take into account existing travel agents in San Francisco and their locations. West Portal, for example, has several of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 PM

622 posts, read 1,142,484 times
I just scanned the first page, but Walnut Creek sounds like the spot. Palo Alto is smack in tech central and folks there not only use the sites but probably created or funded them.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 PM

272 posts, read 320,459 times
Downtown of San Mateo is very busy at the middle of of the day as at night. People are coming here for lunch and to run some errands from many business parks around. Banks, upscale grocery Dragers, infamous sushi place, boutique stores, movie theater, central park, upscale condominiums, large upscale senior citizen condominiums - all of this in 5 X 5 blocks around here. Park is always full with familes there. It may fit your business better than Geary or Clement area in SF that is much cheaper and dirtier... IMHO

Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM

37,043 posts, read 41,975,975 times
I'm surprised there is much of a market for this kind of business. Last time I used a pro to help set up my travel plans I had to basically tell them what I wanted, when, how, where, etc and even then they coulnd't find a certain flight in their system so I booked it myself. Since then I'm a do-it-yourselfer. I will say that group travel is something I would definitely go to a professional source for, especially if it was speciality travel (women only, special interest, etc). I'd want an experienced tour group/guide to deal with everything so I wouldn't have to. But just booking flights/hotels/cars or event tickets? No way. I'm too much of a control freak .

Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 AM

11 posts, read 24,087 times
peninsular: thank you! I will take a deep look at West Portal

rkwalton:thank you for the suggestion!

tetka_grunya: thank you very much!

Ceece: Thank you for your contribution I really depends by the quality and knowledge of the person inside that could save you a TON of time in research for the best value for your vacation at your specific price range. Thanks

Thank you everyone! I am now evaluating the pro and cons of opening in one of the areas of San Francisco as most of you said compared to San Mateo and Walnut Creek. As all of you guys suggested and understood, I need to find the location that will offer me a lot of traffic that will help me create a relationship with the customer while still having this community feeling.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,716,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsitaliano View Post
peninsular: thank you! I will take a deep look at West Portal

rkwalton:thank you for the suggestion!

tetka_grunya: thank you very much!

Ceece: Thank you for your contribution I really depends by the quality and knowledge of the person inside that could save you a TON of time in research for the best value for your vacation at your specific price range. Thanks

Thank you everyone! I am now evaluating the pro and cons of opening in one of the areas of San Francisco as most of you said compared to San Mateo and Walnut Creek. As all of you guys suggested and understood, I need to find the location that will offer me a lot of traffic that will help me create a relationship with the customer while still having this community feeling.
Sorry OP, I haven't been paying much attention for the past couple days. I remember you asked me which neighborhood I think would be good and my answer is Marina District.

You have A LOT of wealthy women of all age groups that love walking around Union Street, Lombard Street and Chestnut Street. Chestnut Street would be the best choice, followed by Union Street and then Lombard Street.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Sorry OP, I haven't been paying much attention for the past couple days. I remember you asked me which neighborhood I think would be good and my answer is Marina District.

You have A LOT of wealthy women of all age groups that love walking around Union Street, Lombard Street and Chestnut Street. Chestnut Street would be the best choice, followed by Union Street and then Lombard Street.
Thank you!!
Isn't very touristy, correct?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,716,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsitaliano View Post
Thank you!!
Isn't very touristy, correct?
You're welcome!
Marina District isn't touristy because most tourists don't know how to get there with public transportation. It's a very thriving community among residents. Many residents don't even want to explore other districts. Tourists ride their bikes through Crissy Field to get to Golden Gate Bridge and that's about it.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You're welcome!
Marina District isn't touristy because most tourists don't know how to get there with public transportation. It's a very thriving community among residents. Many residents don't even want to explore other districts. Tourists ride their bikes through Crissy Field to get to Golden Gate Bridge and that's about it.
Great!
Really appreciate your input!

Old 07-26-2014, 02:03 AM

42 posts, read 299,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
WC has affluent feeders in Danville, Alamo, Blackhawk. Upper middle class feeder areas from San Ramon, Pleasanton (and parts of Dublin). Downtown WC's "mall" is much higher end than San Mateo, and keeps moving upmarket. And even a little bit from the central valley.

Over the past couple of years, Neiman Marcus, Burberry, Lacoste have opened up. Joining Tiffany and Nordstorm's. Over the past 10 years, downtown WC has been purging midrange stores. Ann Taylor Loft, Aerosoles have all left. I don't think Gap is actually in the "Broadway Plaza" mall anymore, one of the adjacent shopping centers. Ann Taylor is also in one of the adjacents as well.

I'd imagine that San Mateo isn't actually pulling in the shoppers from Atherton, San Carlos, Burlingame, and Hillsborough although they are in close proximity. They must be headed to Palo Alto or SF.

It might not be all that cheap anymore either. The older downtown buildings perhaps, but not the newer ones next to the art center or Nordies and Neimans. It keeps getting more and more posh.

San Mateo is overrated, congested and not high end but livable. I've lived here for over 10 years and the downtown is a hodgepodge of restaurants and businesses without cohesion. Lots of medical offices. There are several nice resaurants, and Draegers, an upscale food market with a location in Danville as well. Hillsdale Mall is awful. Housing is deplorable unless you are a millionaire and I'm not kidding!

WC, Danville, San Ramon, Pleasanton etc. are much nicer areas in my opinion.

Last edited by topaz47; 07-26-2014 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland