Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM

102 posts, read 170,157 times

Advertisements

If I had to make a generalization, I'd say Walnut Creek downtown is more retail shopping oriented and San Mateo's is more restaurant oriented. I think a travel store could work with either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsitaliano View Post
ttcs99: thank you very much! I am starting to thinking that Walnut Creek is the best option too! I am now also still considering San Mateo because I do not have a lot of info about it! Do you have any info about it compared to San Mateo? So far as I know, It sounds more expensive and with a downtown not as vibrant as Walnut Creek.

Also, when you have time, I would greatly appreciate I you can give me your opinion regarding the question I just posted in the previous post. However I will re-posted here below:

I have one more question: during the week, are there a lot of people in these cities commuting to downtown SF therefore making the downtown very empty during the day? Or are still many people going around downtown even during the week (even though of course not as much as weekends?)

Thank you so much!
I was one those guys commuting, BUT, I was unemployed for a while, and I noticed, as Jade said, lots of non working Moms in the area. Obviously the street traffic will be significantly lower during the week, but also as Jade said, there are office buildings in downtown WC. so there will be business people walking around as well. Corporate Travel might be something you might want to look into as well.

I'm sorry I'm not much help to you as far as San Mateo, think I've only been there once in my life, so I couldn't give you a good comparison.

Best of luck to you, I hope wherever you wind up, you are super successful.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 AM

11 posts, read 24,143 times
Jade408: Great! Thanks! Word of mouth and involvement in the community is exactly my plan. Great to hear that the downtown is still busy during the week. I was only worried that will all those people commuting, the downtown traffic was going to decrease drastically during week days. Happy this is not the case!

wave9x: Thanks for the tip!

ttocs99: Thank you! I will definitely research about working with those corporations. No worries about San Mateo, you have already been a great help!

Would you suggest me to take also a quick look at Palo Alto, Cupertino and Mountain View or they definitely do not fit with what I am looking for?

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsitaliano View Post
Thank you for your suggestion!

Yes I did and it work very very well. It does not necessarily have to be a very large city but it has to have as much as possible this community/small town feeling while still being adequately large.

I have one more question: during the week, are there a lot of people in these cities commuting to downtown SF therefore making the downtown very empty during the day? Or are still many people going around downtown even during the week (even though of course not as much as weekends?)

Thank you all for your help!
You're welcome!

I asked because all these cities are expensive, so I thought you might want to rethink your plans if this was your first go at it.

In that case, Walnut Creek, San Mateo or some parts of San Francisco would be your best bet. You definitely will need to get word of mouth out there. I think only a small part of your business will be from foot traffic.

Walnut Creek is more retail orientated, while San Mateo is more restaurant orientated. I'd say Walnut Creek has more foot traffic, but is a bit isolated. San Mateo has less foot traffic, but is surrounded by other thriving communities and people from SF would also not mind driving down to you, where as most wouldn't be open to driving to Walnut Creek.

I'd look into both areas and see what you commercial space is available.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,792 times
Heyo, just by looking at your requirements in the OP I'd say Walnut Creek or San Mateo. Stay away from Fremont. I live in Newark, an enclave of Fremont, and there isn't much of a small shop culture down here. A lot of get-in, get-out Walmart, national chain store vibe down here. If I were going to open a shop in the Bay Area it would be Walnut Creek. If I remember correctly since I barley use the service but BART doesn't run to Cupertino or Mountain View.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 24,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You're welcome!

I asked because all these cities are expensive, so I thought you might want to rethink your plans if this was your first go at it.

In that case, Walnut Creek, San Mateo or some parts of San Francisco would be your best bet. You definitely will need to get word of mouth out there. I think only a small part of your business will be from foot traffic.

Walnut Creek is more retail orientated, while San Mateo is more restaurant orientated. I'd say Walnut Creek has more foot traffic, but is a bit isolated. San Mateo has less foot traffic, but is surrounded by other thriving communities and people from SF would also not mind driving down to you, where as most wouldn't be open to driving to Walnut Creek.

I'd look into both areas and see what you commercial space is available.
Thank you so much!
A lot of my previous business was based on word of mouth (especially community involvement), foot traffic, people driving and looking at my store sign and advertising. Do you think that those parts of San Francisco would have the same level of community feeling like WC/San Mateo?

Thank you so much for looking!!!

Shadow dude: thank you! I looks more and more Walnut Creek vs San Mateo vs a specific area of SF.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 AM

102 posts, read 170,157 times
As someone else mentioned, I think Burlingame downtown might be a good fit for your travel business. There are many higher-end shops and boutiques drawing in an upscale clientele from the (very expensive) nearby neighborhoods, and lots of foot traffic.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:45 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
I'd vote for Walnut Creek, too -- because WC is not just retail oriented, it's also the financial and business hub for Contra Costa County.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
I, like most here, think Walnut Creek and San Mateo would be your best bets.

I live in San Mateo and have visited Walnut Creek many times, and I feel they are pretty equally-vibrant, and they are both similarly-sized in population/feel. San Mateo is more restaurant-oriented, while Walnut Creek does have more retail.

Like bmw335xi mentioned, San Mateo is a bit more expensive, but has the advantage of being surrounded by many other affluent towns, and does get a lot of people driving into the downtown from outside the town many days of the week. Walnut Creek will be a bit cheaper, but might seem a bit more isolated comparatively. They're both located at major stops on their respective transit lines (BART for Walnut Creek, Caltrain for San Mateo), so both are well-connected to the rest of the Bay Area.

I'd recommend visiting both and seeing what the available rental space situations are for both. I personally don't think you could wrong with either, to be honest. Two of my favorite towns/downtowns in the Bay Area.

As an aside, while checking out San Mateo, I'd also recommend checking out downtown Burlingame, which is just a ~mile down the road.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 03-04-2013 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: in response to comments from Sav858 below.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Downtown is bigger and has more going on all around than Downtown San Mateo. I don't really get the whole "it's more isolated" part as it's not much further from SF than San Mateo is and is arguably better connected as BART has much more frequent service than Caltrain. Plus the East Bay simply has far more people than the Peninsula. WC is a fairly large destination for people all over Central/Eastern Contra Costa County as well as parts of Alameda County to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland