Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,535,299 times

Advertisements

Denver's light rail cars are pretty old and dated looking, not sure why anyone would brag about those. Seattle's LR system is so new as it began operations in 2009, so of course they will have nice, modern cars. Either way both of those systems are light rail and not comparable to BART.

LA's metro Red/Purple line cars are decent. Some of the cars are pretty dusty, grimy on the outside. Interiors are fairly good but somewhat dated looking.

Some of BART's cars a bad looking like that photo, although that's the worst I've seen. I've seen damage/wear and tear on the front like that pic above but never that big usually. The problem now is the inconsistency between cars. Some have new seats and hard floors, others new seats and old carpet floors, or cloth seats and hard floors, or the worst combo of cloth seats and carpet floors. The one's with the new vinyl seats and hard floors are pretty clean and comfortable imo, I think those cars are as nice and clean as any other transit system.

DC Metro and Atlanta's MARTA would be the most comparable to BART as they have very similar train cars with the interiors having nearly identical layouts. I think DC Metro might have carpeted floors too.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Those trains look better from the front. /shrug

That appears to be a maintenance issue though.

Spoiler
/Docimpersonation: BART is broke.

Doc, I think you are pretty predictable response wise.
Depending on where the train is traveling, that IS the front.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not fair to post a photo of one needing repair.
A lot of BART cars need repair, or out right replacement actually. That's why they have such a huge capital budget shortfall (in the billions). BART is literally falling apart.

BART recovering from problem near West Oakland - SFGate

Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
A lot of BART cars need repair, or out right replacement actually. That's why they have such a huge capital budget shortfall (in the billions). BART is literally falling apart.

That story has nothing to do with BART cars and is 2.5 years old

Old 03-13-2013, 01:05 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,107,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That story has nothing to do with BART cars and is 2.5 years old
And a comment, which is 100% accurate:

Quote:
"Major Delay" on BART = 30 minutes.
"Minor Delay" on Muni = 30 minutes.

"Major Delay" on Muni = 3+ hours.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM

102,134 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:

I'm well aware that BART needs repair, Both you and I have discussed that on a few threads, this isn't news. Posting a rear photo of BART does nothing to give people a look at what the train really looks like. It's not at all comparable to the side angle shot you posted of a cable car.

Also, re: cable cars for commuting , people used to use them for that, especially the California line, until some improvements were made to the infrastructure. Then MUNI started charging $3/ride, as if they were a Disneyland attraction, not a mode of transportation. So after that, ridership fell off a bit, but they're still used by locals. Maybe the fare has gone up more recently, I don't know.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That story has nothing to do with BART cars
I never said it did.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm well aware that BART needs repair, Both you and I have discussed that on a few threads, this isn't news. Posting a rear photo of BART does nothing to give people a look at what the train really looks like. It's not at all comparable to the side angle shot you posted of a cable car.
The Trolleys look better at any angle, that's why they've endured for so long.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM

102,134 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Can someone post a photo of Seattle's light rail transport?

I have no problem with the BART cars, as far as design and look goes, nor do any friends in the DC area see any problem with theirs. I don't know what the fuss is about. But I would like to see what newer systems are doing.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I never said it did.
Then why the hell would you provide a link to a story like that after talking specifically about BART cars? But I guess posting outdated random articles you Googled that don't really have anything to do with what you were talking about is par for the course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland