Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I should try that. If I did that they definitely wouldn't pick me being a guy and all LOL
Hehhehe. That would be hilarious....although depending on which Alameda County location you got it could be considered a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
One time I got burned at Berkeley Bowl. You know how they have the Walgreens next door. Well one day I need to go to Berkeley Bowl and Walgreens. I parked at Walgreens (because I got a spot their first.) Did my Walgreens errand and went to Berkeley Bowl. I was in BB for maybe 20 minutes, I had a super short list that day. Got back to my car and there was a boot.

I got a ticket for "going across to BB" because there was no BB parking in the Walgreens lot. I said, you saw me purchase items from Walgreens. Was I supposed to move my car to complete my errand? The parking security guard said yes" I looked at her like she was crazy, and politely protested that the policy made absolutely zero sense. She agreed to discount the ticket. And they only accepted cash/check for these tickets. There was no getting away since there was a boot on my car.

I was so irritated. I started just parking in neighborhood land when I went to BB to avoid the parking drama.
oh you're one of those. I have a great aunt and uncle on Oregon st. and sometimes the parking is a real pain.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Sounds like a case for a creative attorney to take up with a false arrest or unreasonable seizure or something...

Wonder how many other people that has happened to...

Old 03-08-2013, 03:37 PM

37 posts, read 64,746 times
Quote:
One time I got burned at Berkeley Bowl. You know how they have the Walgreens next door. Well one day I need to go to Berkeley Bowl and Walgreens. I parked at Walgreens (because I got a spot their first.) Did my Walgreens errand and went to Berkeley Bowl. I was in BB for maybe 20 minutes, I had a super short list that day. Got back to my car and there was a boot.

I got a ticket for "going across to BB" because there was no BB parking in the Walgreens lot. I said, you saw me purchase items from Walgreens. Was I supposed to move my car to complete my errand? The parking security guard said yes" I looked at her like she was crazy, and politely protested that the policy made absolutely zero sense. She agreed to discount the ticket. And they only accepted cash/check for these tickets. There was no getting away since there was a boot on my car.

I was so irritated. I started just parking in neighborhood land when I went to BB to avoid the parking drama.
I've only been to that Berkeley Bowl once so far and I could not BELIEVE the mayhem. That is definitely something I would have done so I'm gonna keep that in mind. I usually go out of my way for BB West because even though it's farther from my apt it's not quite as insane... still pretty bad though.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
oh you're one of those. I have a great aunt and uncle on Oregon st. and sometimes the parking is a real pain.
I would park on Shattuck, Adeline....I didn't mind walking a few blocks if it meant avoiding the nonsense of that parking lot!

No longer! Now I go to BB West.

The minute that one opened I ditched the Old BB. Haven't been there in years.

I can imagine it is a pain to go over there. It is just a mess in the 4 block radius of BB.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:12 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
Quote:

That's straight up extortion. I would have forcibly had that boot removed by calling a lock smith/metal worker, had it removed forcibly and threw that broken boot right in that security guards face. You cannot hold someone's property illegally like that.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I would park on Shattuck, Adeline....I didn't mind walking a few blocks if it meant avoiding the nonsense of that parking lot!

No longer! Now I go to BB West.

The minute that one opened I ditched the Old BB. Haven't been there in years.

I can imagine it is a pain to go over there. It is just a mess in the 4 block radius of BB.
That intersection has always been a nightmare even back in the Pay-N-Save days. Many a pedestrian has collided with a vehicle on Shattuck between Oregon and Russell streets.

Where is BB west? I didn't know they opened another one. Perhaps that one location on University that changes every decade or so?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
Just remembered. Back in 2005, I saw a guy get creamed on Shattuck running across the street from Walgreens to get to the BART entrance across the street. Hit by a truck, run over a bit, and the truck kept on going. There was a bunch of homeless guys sitting on the benches on the other side of the street, they jumped and yelled for the truck to stop.

There was a long blood trail in the direction towards University. I ran over, told everyone I was a doctor, and leaned over. He had major damage to the left side of his face, I guessed at the time he had a severe cerebral laceration, could see directly to the dura mater, and I knew he probably wouldn't make it.

Berkeley PD was there in less than 2 minutes, EMTs followed, and we gave each other "that look" which meant he was a goner. Sad day, young man went too soon.

All this talk about Walgreens brings up that memory.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Just remembered. Back in 2005, I saw a guy get creamed on Shattuck running across the street from Walgreens to get to the BART entrance across the street. Hit by a truck, run over a bit, and the truck kept on going. There was a bunch of homeless guys sitting on the benches on the other side of the street, they jumped and yelled for the truck to stop.

There was a long blood trail in the direction towards University. I ran over, told everyone I was a doctor, and leaned over. He had major damage to the left side of his face, I guessed at the time he had a severe cerebral laceration, could see directly to the dura mater, and I knew he probably wouldn't make it.

Berkeley PD was there in less than 2 minutes, EMTs followed, and we gave each other "that look" which meant he was a goner. Sad day, young man went too soon.

All this talk about Walgreens brings up that memory.
You realize Jade and I are talking about a different location right?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
The red light cameras are now a lot more than simple red light cameras in certain locations. Disclaimer - I am well aware of the awful problem of vehicles hitting pedestrians and hold no quarter for flagrant ignorance of pedestrian safety measures. That having been written ...

Have you ever pulled up to a stop light and gone slightly past the thick white line (in some places there is a separate one prior to the cross walk, in others it is the cross walk's inner line)? Guess what. If there is a red light camera they may pop you for doing that.

Ever roll just past the corner to get a better view of oncoming traffic when stopping at a red light at an intersection that allows right on a red? Guess what, they can pop you for that as well.

Both are technicalities but to the exact letter of the CVC they are considered to not conform.

Fun stuff, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland