Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times

Advertisements

Hong Kong, and Manhattan in the Bay Area all in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 12:13 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sure, turn it into Hong Kong. It's inevitable.
If San Francisco ever becomes a match for Hong Kong, I will move to San Francisco.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
S.F needs to build higher if it expects to grow in population. I know engineering restrictions prevent that, but take a place like sunset. It's pretty much all 1-2 story 1940 burb boxes. Building a few more 3-4 story apartment buildings would do a lot to alleviate the housing shortage in S.F.

But as long as it's here, I don't mind skimming $4,000+ rents for 1br/1ba condos in South Beach.
I'd be more supportive of these ideas in return for incentives to "de-flat" homes in areas that are better suited to SFH than multi unit. Families and the middle class are being pushed out of the City. We need a bit of both. Densification where it makes sense and de-densification in true suburban areas. A good start would probably be simple code enforcement. (Yeah Mr or Ms Illegal In Law out there, I'm talking to you!).

Old 03-20-2013, 12:53 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I'd be more supportive of these ideas in return for incentives to "de-flat" homes in areas that are better suited to SFH than multi unit. Families and the middle class are being pushed out of the City. We need a bit of both. Densification where it makes sense and de-densification in true suburban areas. A good start would probably be simple code enforcement. (Yeah Mr or Ms Illegal In Law out there, I'm talking to you!).
Never mind the in-laws, meet pop-up housing!

Startup dreams meet pop-up rentals - SFGate

Old 03-20-2013, 12:58 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Well if S.F wants to become the HK or Manhattan of California, SFHs are going to disappear as a matter of course. Not that here's anything wrong with that IMO. I've seen 3,000 sqft "apartment homes" in NYC that would make burb supporters envious.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Building a bit higher density housing in The Avenues sounds like a good idea to allow SF to grow, but not without vastly improving public transportation and street infrastructure. Most buses and trains coming East in the morning seem maxed out by the time they get to Divisadero. Add another 50,000-100,000 over the next several years and it will go from merely dysfunctional to outright impossible.

Growth is fine as long as its smart. SF's static population is due to many more factors than just a lack of available housing.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
Bingo. I can only dream that SF will turn into Hong Kong. But alas, NIMBYs are bent on keeping this place a quaint town with overpriced housing and blighted areas, and preventing it from becoming one of the world's true alpha cities, which it has potential to become
Well, I was sort of being facetious. What doesn't make sense is that the tech development would go in the direction of the highest rents. If they were smart, wouldn't they start developing south of San Jose, like toward Gilroy?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Well, I was sort of being facetious. What doesn't make sense is that the tech development would go in the direction of the highest rents. If they were smart, wouldn't they start developing south of San Jose, like toward Gilroy?
Using that logic, they would build in Nevada or Florida or Texas. They need to develop where the talent wants to live, which in today's world is San Francisco.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Using that logic, they would build in Nevada or Florida or Texas. They need to develop where the talent wants to live, which in today's world is San Francisco.
They need to build where there are vacancies for the talent to occupy. That's not SF. Milpitas, or Cupertino, Morgan Hill, there are lots of places around San Jose where they could build. San Fran just doesn't make sense.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 PM

119 posts, read 184,822 times
Quote:
They need to build where there are vacancies for the talent to occupy. That's not SF.
I'm with you. It seems like it would make more sense to build where there is space. SF is already very densely populated.

Someone above mentioned the bus. It's the same with the MUNI underground. They pack you in like sardines. It's not roomy like a BART commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland