Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,788,401 times

Advertisements

Try Adam's Point or Piedmont Ave for your budget. Rockridge is likely too expensive, there aren't many apartments there and they tend to be a but more expensive. almost everywhere above Grand and below 580 east of about Harrison or Broadway will be in you budget.

Also, there are several buses to downtown SF from many parts of Oakland. Less annoying than taking BART during the commute. (BART is basically completely full from all parts or Oakland by about 7 or 7:15. Standing room only and you need to shove your way in. It is super crowded). The bus ride is like 20 minutes from most points above Lake Merritt. And no more than 30 from just about anywhere in Oakland. Look at that as an option. Plenty of seats and is pretty fast. There is also the free casual carpool. Not sure where the stop is in Adams Point/Grand Lake, but it should be near a transbay bus stop.

If you are reasonably friendly, you should have no trouble meeting people. Lots to do in Oakland for "young people." (I am in my mid 30s)

PS the Lake Merritt BART station is basically Chinatown, not really very close to the neighborhoods suggested, 19th street is closer to most places near the lake.

PPS If you don't mind living somewhere slightly scruffier, try the Lakeside Apartments district. Rents are super cheap, it is basically downtown and it is reasonably safe. You'l run into more "characters" as there are social services buildings alternating with regular apartments, but the rents are under $1000. Super convenient, not quite as nice as Adams Point, but all my friends who live over there are happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 4,470 times
What about bars/restaurants, etc around there? Parking?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM

All of the areas have stuff to do within 1 mile or less. Expand to around 2 miles and there are multiple neighborhoods. These places are only about 3 miles apart max.

Easy access to Uptown, Old Oakland, Piedmont Ave and Grand Lake.

I live near piedmont ave. By my unofficial count there are around 300 restaurants or cafes in a 3 mile radius of my place. And I haven't redone my guesstimate in the past few years where I can name 20-30 places that opened off the top of my head.

I hear parking is tricky in some parts around Adams Point. But many buildings have gated parking bundled or available for a fee. You can rent a spot too. I think around $60 a month.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 AM

343 posts, read 443,941 times
There's more local bars/restaurants at Adams Point than Lake Merritt Apartment District, and fewer shady characters. Slightly farther walk to downtown, but still easy. And walk to Whole Foods, while there isn't really a regular grocery store on the other side of the lake.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 AM

343 posts, read 443,941 times
And street parking isn't easy, but if you walk to bart/bus and walk to grocery and walk to restaurants, it's pretty easy to get by without a car.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 AM

14,651 posts, read 14,575,727 times
Yeah, I forgot the NL bus line goes down Grand Avenue (and Macarthur) straight to the transbay terminal in downtown SF. And I'm not sure if it's still running but there was a night owl bus from Market Street in SF to downtown Oakland and Grand Avenue once per hour after midnight also.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yeah, I forgot the NL bus line goes down Grand Avenue (and Macarthur) straight to the transbay terminal in downtown SF. And I'm not sure if it's still running but there was a night owl bus from Market Street in SF to downtown Oakland and Grand Avenue once per hour after midnight also.
There is still the "night owl" and the NL is one of the transbay's that run all day. (commute or not)

Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM

39 posts, read 84,162 times
You'll be fine. 80k isn't great but it's enough to have an alright life in Oakland. I recently moved to Adams Point, paying 1050 and get my underground parking along with it. Thing is rent has got up to like 1400 for my crappy place. I think there are plenty of other apartments from 1k-1.5k in the area. 5 minute bike ride to bart and 15 min bart into the city. A decent place in uptown may be out of your budget, have you considered Chinatown too? Don't live on the East side of Merritt.

As far as nightlife is Oakland it's pretty good but sketchy in the Uptown/downtown area, bars are plentiful. I'm sure you'll meet some people. If you get lonely you can always stroll down international blvd with a few 20's in the middle of the night.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 PM

80k is great if you are single. There is plenty to do but every place has its own crowd and personality. I like Uptown for the variety of crowds and types.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:11 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,055,003 times
Rockridge is awesome but yeah it's probably too expensive. The Temescal might work though it's almost as pricey as Rockridge. Lake Merritt is probably your best bet. There's a lot of cool bars and restaurants in downtown Oakland, though the nice blocks can often alternate with pretty sketchy blocks. If you're used to Chicago it will be fine. The Trappist is one of the best bars in America, great European-style place with a ton of Belgian and other beers that that change every night.

As for dating, on the plus side people in the Bay Area get married later than in other parts of the US (if they marry at all) so it's very common to see people still dating in their 30's and 40's and 50's. On the negative side women tend to be pretty picky because they know they can probably hold out for some IT zillionaire, and people in the Bay Area are kind of shy in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland