Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:01 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
San Francisco is a wonderful place to visit... but it takes you about a year to really feel it's true nature. S.F. has a HUGE, "City Shadow"... a dark side that's disavowed... and after the trendy beauty of the place wears off, you feel it.

First, there are very few Native San Franciscans left in S.F. What you're experiencing is lot of people who've moved there because they were either unhappy where they were at or they're drawn to the sex and drug reputation of the city.

Second, over time, S.F. has become a VERY pricy city. The employment cliquishness sets an undertone of who is welcomed over the long term and who is not. S.F. is so expensive that you either share a house with others, live in a less desirable neighborhood, or... you're rich.

Third... the sex. It's the Gay Capitol of the world. If you're gay or lesbian, then S.F. is your Mecca. But as most people know, "sex" does not make for a happy person. People need to be able to create love and be in a place that facilitates that goal. At one point I drove taxi in The City at night. It was--an adventure. There is a very dark and lonely underbelly to San Francisco. Lots of passive-aggressive anger and elitism.

Fourth... "Have A Nice Day!" I'm FROM the Bay Area and I'm sick of the superficiality of the place. Maybe because it's a place filled with transients ... people who move in and out in five years ... or let's face it.... the place is filled with traumatized people drawn to the last place on the continent ... smoking dope and soothing their emotions with booze and cheap sex... so yes, it IS difficult to make long lasting, healthy, deep relationships with people.

But all the above is why the people who need to be there are there. It's the best some people can do at that point in their lives and S.F. offers them the illusion of being with others. SF, like a lot of places has it's share of drama! But that external drama helps those who need it from the torment of their internal dramas.

Fifth and last... SF has become very racist over the years. The "Liberal Mystique" is only a facade left over from the 60s and 70s. The place is only liberal in regards to sex and drugs. In the fight for space and housing, it has become extremely racist economically. That is another "Shadow" you feel after living there for awhile. It's an out of balanced, intelligent, beautiful, bytch of a place to live. Enjoy it and get out when you reach the point in life where you need something deeper.

"Have a nice day!"
Wow, don't beat around the bush, tell us how you REALLY feel. I don't think I've EVER read such a miserable, negative post on any message board ever. I'm not saying San Francisco is perfect, but there certainly are WORSE cities to chose from in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Perhaps the poster hasn't noticed that "have a nice day" has been a nation-wide mantra for decades. And it sounds like those who are native to SF and the area should wear badges, to make themselves easily identifiable. Blue for SF, green for Berkeley, red for Oakland, turquoise for Alameda, purple for Marin...

Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
What a bummer because that is exactly how LA is and it drives me nuts. There are some really flakey people here unlike I've ever seen.

It's funny you mentioned Chicago because my best friend from college is from Chicago and even though I'm from Texas we clicked quickly because we were both outgoing guys who like to go out and meet a ton of people and just get lost in the city. He told me Chicago is town that you can do this meeting people left and right and seeing where it takes you. Houston is like this too and I was hoping SF was like that top but if its flake town like LA then I would rather stay here and get better weather.
It's probably just a CA thing because I experienced that in San Diego and the Bay Area too.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I've never experienced rudeness from SF residents OR people complaining about rudeness in SF residents. Sorry!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM

538 posts, read 1,191,670 times
Quote:
First, there are very few Native San Franciscans left in S.F.
I'm with Ruth on this one, you need to get yourself a badge.

Quote:
What you're experiencing is lot of people who've moved there because they were either unhappy where they were at or they're drawn to the sex and drug reputation of the city.
Really? The only reason people come here is sex and drugs?
OK, I know one person who's not here for that. Me. At least I don't think that's the real reason. And then there is a question, do you really know yourself... I guess that doesn't count. Oh, wait, my wife, there's at least one. I don't think she's not here for that. How do I truly know, though? Hmm... OK, need more investigation. How about my boss. He's from Boston. He says he's here to build world class business. Is that really why he's here? Wow, I had no idea it's sex and drugs. Maybe I should ask him to be sure. What about his boss? He's from Pennsylvania...

Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I have never found San Franciscans rude. Perhaps a lot of people who think so were exposed to grumpy people in public service, like cable-car gripmen, transit drivers, that sort of thing. But I've yet to ride mass-transit in ANY city that doesn't have surly drivers, including where I live.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
I'm with Ruth on this one, you need to get yourself a badge.

Really? The only reason people come here is sex and drugs?
OK, I know one person who's not here for that. Me. At least I don't think that's the real reason. And then there is a question, do you really know yourself... I guess that doesn't count. Oh, wait, my wife, there's at least one. I don't think she's not here for that. How do I truly know, though? Hmm... OK, need more investigation. How about my boss. He's from Boston. He says he's here to build world class business. Is that really why he's here? Wow, I had no idea it's sex and drugs. Maybe I should ask him to be sure. What about his boss? He's from Pennsylvania...
ROFL!! Thanks for my laugh for the day.

hee hee hee

Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I have never found San Franciscans rude. Perhaps a lot of people who think so were exposed to grumpy people in public service, like cable-car gripmen, transit drivers, that sort of thing. But I've yet to ride mass-transit in ANY city that doesn't have surly drivers, including where I live.
Wow, you've been riding the wrong cable cars, or something! The gripmen are practically a tourist attraction in their own right! They're so much fun! That job tends to attract the outgoing personalities. Not to mention the ones who play jazz rhythms on the cable car bell. It's an art form. They even have bell-ringing competitions. Maybe a couple of bad apples got into the bunch....?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
I think it may just be a CA thing. Cities like SF, SD and LA have A LOT of transplants, and a some of these transplants have personal and emotional issues. They left their cities and towns that they thought were really boring or couldn't stand the people there or were not fitting in. I think a lot of them are still stuck in that stage I was in sophomore of college. I remember disliking my city for being too conformist, too conservative and too traditional. I remember only liking indie stuff and eating vegan. I grew out of that quick and now in my lates 20s I feel like I can enjoy all facets of life and people. I love meeting people and getting to know them, the good and the bad. I find myself being way less judgmental too. And it’s not like I’ve grown apathetic or more conservative either, I’ve actually grown more left wing. I just grew out of that trendy liberal stage and the whole lifestylism that comes with being a trendy progressive liberal.

But SF is a bit different because I think that they're more genuine than in LA or SD. I never got the impression they were rude and elitist. Maybe I looked yuppie too? LOL. I did go wearing a North Face jacket, New Balance shoes and dark jeans.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow, you've been riding the wrong cable cars, or something! The gripmen are practically a tourist attraction in their own right! They're so much fun! That job tends to attract the outgoing personalities. Not to mention the ones who play jazz rhythms on the cable car bell. It's an art form. They even have bell-ringing competitions. Maybe a couple of bad apples got into the bunch....?
Well, I have not been there for several years. And, for the most part, I think most of them (gripmen and drivers both) are fine. But I have witnessed some nasty behavior from some gripmen, and one confessed to me at how burned out they get on rude tourists. LOL!!!

Now, the last time I was there it was the bus drivers that I, personally, had trouble with, and I ended that trip convinced that some of them enjoy messing with the tourists. I was in one bus with a visiting couple who had been directed the wrong way twice and it was obvious to me that it was done on purpose. I think it may have been the same route where I asked the driver a question about where to re-board, and he gave me a wrong answer, and I lost a lot of time because of it. I complained later.

That was during the pinnacle of the city's deteriorating transit reputation. Perhaps they've finally worked on it. It sure needed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland