Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Why would I want to drive my car in congested San Francisco where parking is expensive and very limited. Most people in San Francisco don't even own cars. They rent a car if they want to drive to wine country. The poster with the BMW name sounds like he is an out of town transplant to the bay area.
If you know everything about the city I live in, why even bother starting this thread?

People who get a hotel in the city proper, don't rent cars (usually).
People who get a hotel outside of the city proper, rent cars (usually).

If you want to visit the "rest" of San Francisco, it is easy to find parking. Some of these areas consist of Golden Gate Park, Land's End, Bakers Beach, Twin Peaks, Clement Street, San Francisco Zoo, Japantown, Ocean Beach, Coit Tower, Filbert Steps etc. If you want to go to Union Square, you can park at Glen Park BART and it's only a 5-10 minute ride and free parking. It doesn't matter what you decide because you will be the one spending 60-90 minutes one way to get to POI's outside of downtown.

Enjoy

Once again, I really don't know why you started a thread when you already "know" all the answers about the city I've been living in for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you know everything about the city I live in, why even bother starting this thread?

People who get a hotel in the city proper, don't rent cars (usually).
People who get a hotel outside of the city proper, rent cars (usually).

If you want to visit the "rest" of San Francisco, it is easy to find parking. Some of these areas consist of Golden Gate Park, Land's End, Bakers Beach, Twin Peaks, Clement Street, San Francisco Zoo, Japantown, Ocean Beach, Coit Tower, Filbert Steps etc. If you want to go to Union Square, you can park at Glen Park BART and it's only a 5-10 minute ride and free parking. It doesn't matter what you decide because you will be the one spending 60-90 minutes one way to get to POI's outside of downtown.

Enjoy

Once again, I really don't know why you started a thread when you already "know" all the answers about the city I've been living in for years.
With the exception of twin peaks,japantown,coit tower and golden gate park I haven't really heard if these other places. I have been to San Francisco many many times. As a longtime resident of San Francisco do you drive a car most places? Many times I have stayed at Comfort Inn on Van Ness and Lombard. I have also stayed at motel 6 on Geary in Tenderlion,The Shereton Fishermans Warf and Handlery hotel union square. This trip due to budget reasons I not going to have a choice buy to stay in Walnut Creek and take Bart in. Last time I stayed in the Tenderlion I almost got jumped!! I'm afraid to stay in the Tenderlion

Old 03-26-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
With the exception of twin peaks,japantown,coit tower and golden gate park I haven't really heard if these other places. I have been to San Francisco many many times. As a longtime resident of San Francisco do you drive a car most places? Many times I have stayed at Comfort Inn on Van Ness and Lombard. I have also stayed at motel 6 on Geary in Tenderlion,The Shereton Fishermans Warf and Handlery hotel union square. This trip due to budget reasons I not going to have a choice buy to stay in Walnut Creek and take Bart in. Last time I stayed in the Tenderlion I almost got jumped!! I'm afraid to stay in the Tenderlion
These other areas I mentioned are just some points of interests that are easy to get to with a car. I have many friends who also live in the city and honestly, we all use our cars most of the time. The only times we use public transit is if we are going out drinking or during big events. When you live in the city, you know how much fecal matter is stuck on this cloth seats or experienced many times a crazy homeless person yelling obscenities at people around him on the bus. It's much easier to get around San Francisco with a car than by public transportation in most areas. The congested traffic is on the freeway systems, not inside the city. I think many tourists are completely lost using MUNI, that's why you practically only see massive concentrations of them in Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf.

Most of the hotels along Lombard Street offer free parking, but their rates are above your budget. However, you should have no problem getting a hotel around SFO within your budget with free parking. If you have a smart phone, driving is easier than navigating MUNI unless all you want to see are tourist spots. If you want to check out North Beach, Coit Tower, Filbert Steps you can park at the Coit Tower parking lot. There is usually available parking and it's free. If you want to see Golden Gate Park, there is always available parking inside for free. If you want to go hiking in the city, you can go to Land's End, which has free parking. If you want to go on the beach, you can find easy parking on Great Hwy for Ocean Beach or the Bakers Beach parking lot, which are both free. If you want to check out a more authentic "Chinatown" you can find parking on Clement Street or Irving Street and if it's after 6PM it's free otherwise you can pay the meter with quarters or credit card. There are many amazing restaurants in San Francisco that are a pain in the blank to get to coming from Downtown SF, yet alone Walnut Creek. If you have a car, it's fast and easy. These are just some examples. There is so much more to San Francisco than the downtown area and the most convenient way is to drive, especially if you are staying outside of the city. I'm not joking about your average ETA outside of downtown will be around 60-90 minutes, the BART alone will be around $10 RT, then you need to add all your MUNI fees. If you drive across, you'll have to pay tolls.

Honestly, I felt like you were being a bit rude considering I've been debating back and forth with some of these members that don't even live in SF for your own good. I don't mind if you choose to stay in Walnut Creek, but you shouldn't accuse me of being an out of towner or saying you know the streets of San Francisco better than me when I literally drive them every day. That was going to be my last post, but since you replied in a respectful manner, I thought I'd go into more detail, so you have full disclosure. I have nothing to gain by you choosing a hotel in SFO over Walnut Creek.

If you think about it, it should make sense.

Why rent a car and then drive 40 minutes outside of the city and park it there gathering dust and then spend a bundle on BART and MUNI fees. It doesn't make sense financially, it will be difficult to see the "real" San Francisco and it will be so much more work for you.

If you rent a car, you might as well use it. The main reason not to rent a car when staying in downtown are the hotel parking fees, but if you are fine with a motel around SFO, you won't have any parking fees.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 03-26-2013 at 04:22 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
The poster with the BMW name sounds like he is an out of town transplant to the bay area.
That's because he is. He may actually technically live within the city limits of SF but might as well be San Mateo County as far as I'm concerned, its not the real SF.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I felt like you were being a bit rude considering I've been debating back and forth with some of these members that don't even live in SF for your own good.
Some of us live in Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill area which offers far better perspective regarding BART from the WC area than someone that lives in SF. In addition to all the experience I have taking BART from WC and PH (which you do not), I also drive in the city plenty. Also driving around a city as a tourist is a lot different than a local, especially in a place like SF. It's so idiotic to assume a tourist of all people is going to know all the cheap or better places to park, fastest routes, etc.. that a local would. This is why your argument is so stupid to me.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Some of us live in Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill area which offers far better perspective regarding BART from the WC area than someone that lives in SF. In addition to all the experience I have taking BART from WC and PH (which you do not), I also drive in the city plenty. Also driving around a city as a tourist is a lot different than a local, especially in a place like SF. It's so idiotic to assume a tourist of all people is going to know all the cheap or better places to park, fastest routes, etc.. that a local would. This is why your argument is so stupid to me.
If one has a smart phone, one can use the directions feature... it isn't rocket science lol. You really think it's easier to navigate MUNI? Be honest now lol. You make San Francisco seem like a fast pace NYC. When you are outside of downtown, it's very slow paced. You'd understand this if you actually know the city outside of Union Square lol.

Also, are you denying it will take 90 minutes from start to finish and cost around $15.00 RT to simply go from Walnut Creek to say... Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park? Be clear now, no politician answers. It's a YES or NO.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
If one has a smart phone, one can use the directions feature... it isn't rocket science lol. You really think it's easier to navigate MUNI? Be honest now lol. You make San Francisco seem like a fast pace NYC. When you are outside of downtown, it's very slow paced. You'd understand this if you actually know the city outside of Union Square lol.
Actually with a smart phone it is easy to navigate public transit nowadays, not sure why you think it's any more difficult or any different than driving directions. Is it that complicated to click on that public transit directions button in Google Maps for you?

I never said anything about SF's pace so I have no idea what the hell you're talking about or where that came from.

Quote:
Also, are you denying it will take 90 minutes from start to finish and cost around $15.00 RT to simply go from Walnut Creek to say... Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park? Be clear now, no politician answers. It's a YES or NO.
No but I don't know why you keep assuming and pushing all these places in SF that are not prime tourist spots and/or on the western side of SF. Also there are these things called "cabs" and "taxis" people can take and tend to be a good option for tourists, perhaps you've heard of them.

Go ahead and talk about the city but leave the East Bay to people that actually have a lot of experience with it, which you don't. I don't know what it is about SF that breeds such arrogant transplants to think they know the region better than a native.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Actually with a smart phone it is easy to navigate public transit nowadays, not sure why you think it's any more difficult or any different than driving directions. Is it that complicated to click on that public transit directions button in Google Maps for you?

I never said anything about SF's pace so I have no idea what the hell you're talking about or where that came from.

No but I don't know why you keep assuming and pushing all these places in SF that are not prime tourist spots and/or on the western side of SF. Also there are these things called "cabs" and "taxis" people can take and tend to be a good option for tourists, perhaps you've heard of them.

Go ahead and talk about the city but leave the East Bay to people that actually have a lot of experience with it, which you don't. I don't know what it is about SF that breeds such arrogant transplants to think they know the region better than a native.

Yeah... that makes perfect sense...

Rent a car in San Francisco -> Drive 40 minutes to Walnut Creek -> Forget about your rental there, it's a sunk cost -> Go to the Walnut Creek BART Station -> spend 35-40 minutes just to reach San Francisco -> Hire a taxi to visit areas outside of downtown -> Use MUNI to get around downtown

MAKES PERFECT SENSE

That way the OP can pay for an auto rental, pay for BART, pay for MUNI and pay for taxis! That is wonderful advice, the city of San Francisco will thank you lol.

This is why it makes no sense to stay in Walnut Creek to explore San Francisco. I know to you, San Francisco only consists of Union Square, but there is much more to the city I live in.

If the OP stays in Walnut Creek, her only practical choice is to use BART, then MUNI and if she gets overwhelmed then hire a taxi. If the OP stays around SFO, she can drive to the specific place, park at Glen Park BART Station, or park somewhere in the part of San Francisco she wants to explore for that day and just use MUNI. She is already paying for a car rental, so it makes sense to use it.

FYI: Taxis in San Francisco are very expensive

Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Yeah... that makes perfect sense...

Rent a car in San Francisco -> Drive 40 minutes to Walnut Creek -> Forget about your rental there, it's a sunk cost -> Go to the Walnut Creek BART Station -> spend 35-40 minutes just to reach San Francisco -> Hire a taxi to visit areas outside of downtown -> Use MUNI to get around downtown

MAKES PERFECT SENSE
WTF are you talking about? You just made all of this completely up. Why would the OP rent a car in SF? You know you can rent a car in WC too right? Enterprise is pretty much right across the street from the BART station by the hotel the OP is staying at
Is that what you do to try to make your case? Make scenarios up that make no sense? You just keep making up more crap when you can't address any of the points I made.

Quote:
That way the OP can pay for an auto rental, pay for BART, pay for MUNI and pay for taxis! That is wonderful advice, the city of San Francisco will thank you lol.
Also did you miss the part about the OP is from LA. Is coming from the foothills and then driving back down to LA after their visit in the Bay Area. So why would you assume they don't have a car already and that is it a rental??? FYI, lots of people drive up here from LA, I guess you don't know much about CA. What have you been here like a year or two?

Quote:
This is why it makes no sense to stay in Walnut Creek to explore San Francisco. I know to you, San Francisco only consists of Union Square, but there is much more to the city I live in.
Weird because I rarely go to Union Square, but go ahead and keep making up stuff to try to bolster your BS argument.

Quote:
FYI: Taxis in San Francisco are very expensive
It's a small city so I don't feel they are, perhaps you're just cheap.

Fact of the matter is you don't have experience going to and from SF from Walnut Creek. You don't offer much useful insight for the OP at all.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 AM

You must never use taxis in SF or have never used taxis in other urban cities. If the OP is driving up, then she should still use her own car especially if she is on a budget. Why pay for BART, MUNI, and Taxis if you don't have to. I'm done talking to a person who doesnt have a clue what they are talking about lol.

@OP: If you want specific addresses for easy parking and points of interests outside the tourist traps let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland