Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Look it up on craigslist, Im not your secretary.
Sorry I asked. I thought you were from Oakland so you would have the insights. Gee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 PM

10 posts, read 13,166 times
Lots of posts about Berkeley - however, from my research, the piano teaching market there is quite saturated already. I've heard a lot about Walnut Creek, and it seems like a nice place to live and not as far from SF as some other suburbs. There's also apparently a good demand for piano lessons without a huge supply of teachers. Any experiences in that area? The only thing that worries me is that it seems to have a significant elderly population, which isn't exactly the demographic I'm looking for. Google maps shows Walnut Creek to SF as a 30 minute drive, but I'm sure traffic would make it a bit longer trip. Any thoughts?

And please keep the input coming about other places!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam8086 View Post
I will be opening a private piano teaching studio. Usually families who care about quality education (and can afford to live in good school districts or pay for private schools) are more likely to take lessons.
I'm a piano teacher myself. You want to look for areas where you will find Indian or Chinese families. There is so much demand for music teachers in places like Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Fremont, Palo Alto - not as much in San Francisco/upper peninsula/East Bay. Maybe you will spend a little more in rent, but the pool of students makes up for it.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:52 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Ah, the age old problem.

We don't have anyplace like a Nyack or a Morris Plains - about 30 minutes out but a real true suburban town in the East Coast sense.

We do have places with a similar look and feel but the homes are all north of 1M and rentals are few and far between.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,008,838 times
Quote:
Lots of posts about Berkeley - however, from my research, the piano teaching market there is quite saturated already. I've heard a lot about Walnut Creek, and it seems like a nice place to live and not as far from SF as some other suburbs. There's also apparently a good demand for piano lessons without a huge supply of teachers. Any experiences in that area? The only thing that worries me is that it seems to have a significant elderly population, which isn't exactly the demographic I'm looking for. Google maps shows Walnut Creek to SF as a 30 minute drive, but I'm sure traffic would make it a bit longer trip. Any thoughts?

And please keep the input coming about other places!
Walnut Creek has a HUGE senior population because of the amount of senior living areas. But there are a lot of tract houses and families around. Plus you would have access to Danville, and San Ramon markets on the 680 corridor.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:03 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,782,857 times
Quote:
I will be opening a private piano teaching studio. Usually families who care about quality education (and can afford to live in good school districts or pay for private schools) are more likely to take lessons.
rockridge or crocker highlands
Walkable Rockridge and Crocker Highland in Demand - The Numbers - Curbed SF

Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
If you give up on walkable, you'll have a lot more options.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 PM

10 posts, read 13,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If you give up on walkable, you'll have a lot more options.
Well, basically what I mean by walkable is that I want to be in a nice, safe, quiet neighborhood so that I can be comfortable about taking a walk/run around my neighborhood at any time in the day, and taking my future dog out for a walk/run a few times a day. Sure, I can always go to a park and do this, but part of my personal dream is to be able to do this right outside my front door. I don't necessarily mean that everything should be in walking distance, but that would be a definite plus.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Quote:
Well, basically what I mean by walkable is that I want to be in a nice, safe, quiet neighborhood so that I can be comfortable about taking a walk/run around my neighborhood at any time in the day, and taking my future dog out for a walk/run a few times a day. Sure, I can always go to a park and do this, but part of my personal dream is to be able to do this right outside my front door. I don't necessarily mean that everything should be in walking distance, but that would be a definite plus.
It's kind of a strange definition, but I understand what you mean. I live in a part of San Jose that manages to be both very walkable and shamefully car-centric (over a mile to any store or public transit). I love the area, but I do sometimes wish that I didn't have to get in the car for everything. That's just the reality in the Silicon Valley.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
You should pick what region you want to focus your work on first. As sonarrat said some regions like the South Bay might be better for you, and in that case living in San Mateo County or Santa Clara County would make more sense than living in the East Bay. In terms of walkability, SF, Berkeley and Oakland are the main walkable towns in the Bay Area. San Mateo County has a lot of older suburbs with walkable little "downtown" areas but it is a bit more suburban than say Berkeley or Oakland. But certainly you could walk your dog or run in a San Mateo town and enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland