Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 03:22 PM

102,149 posts, read 107,499,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I test drove a model they stopped making (Roadster) and it was all plastic and very cheaply made on the interior...not worth over 100K! It looked cool but cheap quality.
Thanx for the review! It's the roadster I was into. They stopped making them? Why? Cheap plastic interior isn't good. Hopefully they learned from that experience.

Dang! My dream was a roadster. They sure looked fun!

Old 03-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,428,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanx for the review! It's the roadster I was into. They stopped making them? Why? Cheap plastic interior isn't good. Hopefully they learned from that experience.

Dang! My dream was a roadster. They sure looked fun!
Yes the interior was horrible but the 0-60 was fun! Not sure why they stopped...can't remember what the sales guy told me.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:27 PM

102,149 posts, read 107,499,015 times
Yeah, for that price, they should have a good interior. Maybe they'll get back to something in that style later, after they develop the brand and get some satisfied customers.

You're lucky you got to drive one, though!

Old 03-30-2013, 11:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,634,162 times
Before I get accused of anything, I will say that my wife is Asian and she agrees 100%

So, I will say that in sf proper, Asians and Indians are more materialistic than whites. Pay attention to who drives BMW and MBs. Mostly Asians. And no, that's not because they are more successful. It is because they care. In my job, finance, two asian guys below me drive BMWs and I drive a Honda. Asians in California tend to be VERY materialistic as they are always trying to outshine each other.

Since there are a lot of very successful Asians and Indians in the Bay Area, and they want to show it. Same for whites, but think about it this way: an Asian who can afford a BMW is more likely to have one than a white person, who can also afford it.

Overall, the Bay Area is quite materialistic, but less in your face. I.e. people will drive a Subaru, but will wear marmot and only shop at REI.

Some women also have very expensive jewelry and as a whole, people in th bay rea tend to wear very expensive clothes when going out.

So, in summary. Bay Area is materialistic, but less so than NYC, LA, Houston. It is also more concentrated among successful Asian and Indian yuppies

Old 03-31-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Yes the interior was horrible but the 0-60 was fun! Not sure why they stopped...can't remember what the sales guy told me.
They stopped, because they had a limited supply of bodies from lotus per the contract

Old 03-31-2013, 05:15 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,699,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
I'm sure they do.
Then you acknowledge that for some people that's a compelling reason.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM

6,409 posts, read 8,256,829 times
Quote:
Since there are a lot of very successful Asians and Indians in the Bay Area, and they want to show it. Same for whites, but think about it this way: an Asian who can afford a BMW is more likely to have one than a white person, who can also afford it.
Materialism is a personality trait- NOT one that's predetermined by race/ethnicity.

It's pretty bothersome to read posts like this, mostly because they have no basis in reality. I don't really care if your wife is Asian or not, you're stereotyping a large population of people with no facts to back it up.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM

702 posts, read 951,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Materialism is a personality trait- NOT one that's predetermined by race/ethnicity.

It's pretty bothersome to read posts like this, mostly because they have no basis in reality. I don't really care if your wife is Asian or not, you're stereotyping a large population of people with no facts to back it up.
You're right that it's a personality trait, but personality traits are certainly influenced by culture, background, and family. The Chinese, South Koreans, and Indians top the list of countries who believe that "money is the best sign of a person's success", as shown in a 2010 Reuters/Ipsos poll.

Majority (65%) of Global Citizens Agree Money Is More Important To Them Nowadays Than Previously | Ipsos

At the bottom of the list (those who disagree that money is the best sign of success) was the Netherlands, Canada, Sweden, and Mexico.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
You're right that it's a personality trait, but personality traits are certainly influenced by culture, background, and family. The Chinese, South Koreans, and Indians top the list of countries who believe that "money is the best sign of a person's success", as shown in a 2010 Reuters/Ipsos poll.

Majority (65%) of Global Citizens Agree Money Is More Important To Them Nowadays Than Previously | Ipsos

At the bottom of the list (those who disagree that money is the best sign of success) was the Netherlands, Canada, Sweden, and Mexico.
Thank you! I had read that study, too. Oakland clearly has no idea about Asian culture. A lot of Asians are superstitious and believe in luck. That's why gambling is more prevalent in Asian cultures. They also believe that luck is demonstrated through material possessions, which is why it is important to them to have expensive things.

Of course, this a Bay Area forum and the PC police is out in force. I am sorry that different cultures have different characteristics. I don't get that logic. On the one hand, it is all about celebrating uniqueness and diversity, as if the only difference in cultures are food and quirky customs. I am sorry, cultures have negative traits as well

Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 AM

6,409 posts, read 8,256,829 times
That "study" is a joke.

Please come back when you have actual facts to back up your statements, unless you want to rephrase your entire post by beginning with something like: "IN MY OWN OPINION...." or "BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCES"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland