U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM

3,683 posts, read 8,341,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Before I get accused of anything, I will say that my wife is Asian and she agrees 100%

So, I will say that in sf proper, Asians and Indians are more materialistic than whites. Pay attention to who drives BMW and MBs. Mostly Asians. And no, that's not because they are more successful. It is because they care. In my job, finance, two asian guys below me drive BMWs and I drive a Honda. Asians in California tend to be VERY materialistic as they are always trying to outshine each other.
I was going to disagree, but then remembered the Chinese PhD living next to me in a smaller house, with a smaller income, drives a MBZ.

I will add though, that I don't think you can lump all East Asians together. For example, there are large differences between Koreans vs. Chinese in this regard. Koreans are nearly obsessed with labels and brands. Take a hundred Koreans and a hundred Chinese, living in the same area and with the same income, and the Koreans will have far more LV and Prada bags, and BMW and MBZ cars.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 AM

17,928 posts, read 17,836,617 times
Believe it or not, we Asians don't all rook alike. Meaning, there are massive cultural differences between Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc. Anytime you hear someone generalize all Asians, you know it's bull**** coming out their mouth.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 AM

16,437 posts, read 22,360,988 times
I can see both sides of this argument. Discussions about race, ethnicity and culture are always very touchy with Americans. On the one hand I think Oakland is saying that stereotyping can be a dangerous thing as it can lead to all sorts of subconscious behavior. I can agree with that. However on the other hand I think ignoring cultural differences in the name of tolerance gives tolerance a bad name. It's not really being tolerant. One thing most minorities complain about is feeling like their culture is ignored in our country. As a black person, I know lots of blacks feel that way but I have also heard Hispanics and Asians say the same things. It actually has the opposite effect of embracing as it frequently leads to frustration. I think that ignoring these things isn't being very respectful of diversity. Just my opinion.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 AM

631 posts, read 671,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Believe it or not, we Asians don't all rook alike. Meaning, there are massive cultural differences between Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc. Anytime you hear someone generalize all Asians, you know it's bull**** coming out their mouth.
Okay, I <3 you bmw335xi, but I can't help but laugh when I consider your username

Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 AM

16,437 posts, read 22,360,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
That's another thing. Asians are vastly different from one region to another. To say that Japanese and Vietnamese should be lumped together is more ludicrous than lumping the Swedish with Italians.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Okay, I <3 you bmw335xi, but I can't help but laugh when I consider your username
Me make lots of money with massage parlor!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That's another thing. Asians are vastly different from one region to another. To say that Japanese and Vietnamese should be lumped together is more ludicrous than lumping the Swedish with Italians.
Exactly, it's like saying Americans and French have the same culture. Many Asians in SF and Bay Area have a lot of money. Most that I know are Chinese backed with family money from Hong Kong, Taiwan or China. The poor Asians drive those noisy rice cars. I haven't met a poor Asian that drives a Mercedes or BMW.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:21 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,074,312 times
Lol, ok, a poll by a large reputable pollig company is bs. Ok. Look, it is obvious you will never be convinced otherwise, so why bother. Read the economist, they have published articles about it. Talk to your asian friends. Look at their family's habits nread about Asian culture etc. get educated.

I understand you think i am foaming at the mouth racist, who oppressed his subservient a asian wife. Thats fine. I could care less.

What you fail to understand is that all cultures have good and bad traits. Thats why they are cultures. Common characteristics. Wealth and material possessions happen to be a trait for Chinese and vietnamese people.

And obviously not all asians are the same. Forgive me for making a forum post without a three page disclaimer.

I am eastern european fob and we are also very materialistic. Have you seen moscow, belgrade etc?

Oh snap, gotta run i hear the PC police sirens. FIVE-O FIVE-O

Old 03-31-2013, 01:30 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,074,312 times
By the way, i just googled "materialism in asian cultures". Several academic studies on first two pages from american and european universities. Go read

Old 03-31-2013, 03:26 PM

4,872 posts, read 6,290,514 times
Quote:
I understand you think i am foaming at the mouth racist, who oppressed his subservient a asian wife. Thats fine. I could care less.
I honestly *couldn't care less* about the dynamic between you and your wife, although I think it's pretty revealing that you automatically assume I'd think that you were in that type of relationship. Way to stereotype a stranger!

Anyway, I think it's hilarious that you're trying to 'educate' me on this matter. The reality is that you painted an entire continent's worth of people with a broad brush and called them materialistic when you really don't have any solid proof that they are any more materialistic than other people. 4 BILLION people live in Asia.

As I said before, in the future, preface your ignorant generalizations with "IN MY OPINION, IN MY EXPERIENCE, FROM WHAT I'VE NOTICED, etc". Although it'll still sound ignorant when you say things like "In my opinion, Asian people are sneaky" or "based on my experience, Asians are all nerds that are good at math," you can get away with it easier since it's just a reflection of your own vapid, ill-informed world-view.

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 03-31-2013 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland