U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,074,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I honestly *couldn't care less* about the dynamic between you and your wife, although I think it's pretty revealing that you automatically assume I'd think that you were in that type of relationship. Way to stereotype a stranger!

Anyway, I think it's hilarious that you're trying to 'educate' me on this matter. The reality is that you painted an entire continent's worth of people with a broad brush and called them materialistic when you really don't have any solid proof that they are any more materialistic than other people. 4 BILLION people live in Asia.

As I said before, in the future, preface your ignorant generalizations with "IN MY OPINION, IN MY EXPERIENCE, FROM WHAT I'VE NOTICED, etc". Although it'll still sound ignorant when you say things like "In my opinion, Asian people are sneaky" or "based on my experience, Asians are all nerds that are good at math," you can get away with it easier since it's just a reflection of your own vapid, ill-informed world-view.
I said Californian Asians in my original unedited post. Keep shifting the goal posts.

I don't get your pc types. Instead of facing the issues head on, you prefer to tiptoe and not hurt anyone's feelings.

And I assumed your thoughts, because, IN MY EXPERIENCES, from years of volunteering with different orgs, I have had enough interactions with pc types

Old 03-31-2013, 03:55 PM

4,872 posts, read 6,289,680 times
Sorry for calling you out on your stereotypical/ignorant comments.

My bad.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Sorry for calling you out on your stereotypical/ignorant comments.

My bad.
No worries. Sorry for calling you out on your ignorance as well

Old 03-31-2013, 04:43 PM

Btw, I am curious, in your world, is the statement "this culture is known for" banned? Do cultural differences exist?

Like if I said "eastern European cultures are known for their passionate demeanor", is that kosher, or am I stereotyping?

Or am I just crossing the line if it is a slightly negative one. Like if i said "eastern European cultures are known for their passionate demeanor, which could also be aggressive, as suggested by rampant soccer hooliganism"

Old 03-31-2013, 05:01 PM

Of course cultural differences exist. Quit being obtuse. The idea that there is a generalizable "Asian-Californian culture" is absurd.

I merely called you out on stereotyping an entire continent's worth of people who brought their 'culture' to America- as if 'culture' is some singular entity that everyone from a certain locale embraces.

You obviously live in a world where you like to put people into separate categories to make 'culture' easier for you to understand, but the world actually is much, much more complicated than that. Keep thinking this way if it makes you feel better, but I can guarantee you'll eventually run into people who will call you out for making blanket statements that you can't prove to be true.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:18 PM

So you admit that cultural differences exist. But materialism can't be one of those differences. Gotcha.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 PM

346 posts, read 841,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
IMO, at least in Silicon Valley, folks with the dough aren't necessarily as much into the bling cars as they are in SoCal. You will find lots of high-worth tech folks driving Priuses and other rather ordinary cars.

In terms of apparel, also not tends not to be very flashy, more casual. Where the money is spent might be on outdoor apparel, sportswear, and recreational equipment.
This. The Silicon Valley isn't materialistic at all. It's annoyingly anti-consumer culture in some ways. By that I mean a lack of amenities, shopping, etc. I prefer a balance as I believe more choices is always a good thing. Whether we choose (or can even afford) to take advantage of them of not.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
So you admit that cultural differences exist. But materialism can't be one of those differences. Gotcha.
Here's a hint: when talking about cultural differences, it's usually a bad idea to lump people from DIFFERENT CULTURES into one monolithic culture and say that are all alike. Which is exactly what you did. I really hate to beat a dead horse, but you just don't seem to get it.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Here's a hint: when talking about cultural differences, it's usually a bad idea to lump people from DIFFERENT CULTURES into one monolithic culture and say that are all alike. Which is exactly what you did. I really hate to beat a dead horse, but you just don't seem to get it.
Sorry, I should have said Chinese or Vietnamese. Is that ok?

So I think I m starting to get this. There can be a California culture and a Nebraska culture. But there can't be a California Asian culture. There can only be a Californian Chinese culture etc.

Is that right?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:35 PM

631 posts, read 671,551 times
Quote:
... The idea that there is a generalizable "Asian-Californian culture" is absurd. ...
Asians that have been here in California for several generations are of course "Americanized", but there is certainly a distinct culture among recent and relatively-recent Asian immigrants.

First, think about Mexican immigrants. They share a border with the United States, so for many years nearly anyone could eventually find a way to sneak across, even if they were dirt poor. (my grandfather came to California from Ensenada in the '50s). As a result, we have many different types of Mexicans in this country, from different regions in Mexico and of different socioeconomic tiers. I'll admit that it's much more difficult to cross today.

Now, consider trying to come here from China - swimming across the pacific ocean isn't exactly an option. Only those with money and/or quite a bit of passion/drive/ingenuity end up getting here. This is why we have the stereotype that 'Asians are smart', because it's only the smart, the driven that have the ability to get here from the other side of the planet. It's a certain type of Asian that ends up here, so there's definitely a discernible culture among recent and relatively-recent Asian immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland