Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,354,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
It's expensive but folks want to live here for a reason. It's not about materialism, it's about quality of life. I can easily afford the Ozark mountains in Missouri but why the hell would I want to live there?
The Ozarks is a very special, beautiful and unique region that encompasses portions of three states. But you're probably right. You wouldn't care to live here because you likely wouldn't be wanted as a neighor.

As to the original question, which I believe can be answered without pejoratives, I don't see most of the people in the Bay Aea as being materialistic. They're not about amassing "things." They're more about affording the ability to live in and enjoy the Bay Area which is an expensive place to live.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,481,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Funny thing is, a lot of those women are actually broke. Homes in foreclosure, lots of debt, etc.
So they're like much of the rest of LA and OC

Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM

582 posts, read 1,477,297 times
A higher percentage of people are educated in the Bay Area. That creates a more cosmopolitan culture. I lived there for 15 years although I was born and raised in Phoenix and am back in Phoenix now to take care of my mother.

The one thing that always blew me away was the huge amount of BMW's, Mercedes, and the like.If you can't afford a new one, get one 7-10 years old.

I travel a lot and it's not like that in many other cities. You see high end cars, but nowhere near the amounts as in LA and The Bay. Ordinary people don't try to stretch their resources to buy luxury items as much in Phoenix or other major cities I've been in outside of California.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:59 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,999,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
A higher percentage of people are educated in the Bay Area. That creates a more cosmopolitan culture. I lived there for 15 years although I was born and raised in Phoenix and am back in Phoenix now to take care of my mother.

The one thing that always blew me away was the huge amount of BMW's, Mercedes, and the like.If you can't afford a new one, get one 7-10 years old.

I travel a lot and it's not like that in many other cities. You see high end cars, but nowhere near the amounts as in LA and The Bay. Ordinary people don't try to stretch their resources to buy luxury items as much in Phoenix or other major cities I've been in outside of California.
Agreed. The Bay Area is just as into fancy cars as SoCal. I've noticed in both places you get a lot of younger types flashing nice cars, seemingly way above their pay grade.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:00 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,999,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So they're like much of the rest of LA and OC
and Oakland, San Jose, Fremont, etc.
Oakland Foreclosures — Trulia.com

Old 03-29-2013, 03:00 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,293,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post

IMO, at least in Silicon Valley, folks with the dough aren't necessarily as much into the bling cars as they are in SoCal. You will find lots of high-worth tech folks driving Priuses and other rather ordinary cars.

In terms of apparel, also not tends not to be very flashy, more casual. Where the money is spent might be on outdoor apparel, sportswear, and recreational equipment.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
The Ozarks have an infinitely higher quality of life compared to the Bay area. Too bad they do not have a lot of employment opportunities. However if they had a lot of employment opportunities maybe they would become an overcrowded mess like the Bay area.
Your comment as to quality of life is personal preference.

Your little note about jobs is actual fact. To bad people that create jobs in abundance don't want to live in the Ozarks for the most part.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,481,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
and Oakland, San Jose, Fremont, etc.
Oakland Foreclosures — Trulia.com
You're confused again, LA and OC have a MUCH HIGHER forclosure rate than the Bay Area:

Metropolitan Foreclosure and Mortgage Delinquency Rates from Foreclosure-Response.org

Almost all Bay Area counties fall in the 0-3% range while LA and OC fall in the 7-11% range for deliquency

Old 03-29-2013, 03:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,354,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And what about education, health care, etc..? QOL certainly can mean different things to different people but statistically the Bay Area has a FAR HIGHER quality of life than the Ozarks of all places. Having less people doesn't mean it has a higher QOL, that's ridiculous.

Arkansas ranks 50 and MO at 37 on the Human Development Index (HDI) compared to 12 for CA.

The Bay Area QOL is one of the highest in the world:
And our QOL, suits my wife and me, both native Californians, just fine. It's different which is part of why we chose it in retirement. Your comments make little, if any, sense in a thread that's supposed to be about the Bay Area. If you have to compare it to defend it you've lost before you've begun.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:35 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,386,582 times
Rich people pay a premium for highly desirable areas.

More at 11...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland